D4 or Galaxy Nexus.....Coming from OG droid!

Logan3824

Reaction score
Alright so I have a seen a few threads talking about how awesome D4 is and of course I've seen some on the nexus. I'm having a big problem on deciding which one I want. Although I'm not really looking for the droid razr maxx, if it's better than the D4 I'd like to know :)

A few things I'm looking for :
1) Performance (Speed and response time)
2) Camera (Noticed people complained about the D4 camera and was wondering if any developers have created anything to help fix it)
3) Call quality (I will be using it for work so I need to be heard and hear clearly)
4) Screen quality. (I realize nexus is super amoled but if d4 is decent enough then I'm fine)

Insidious

Reaction score
In terms of speed and screen I'd give it to the Nexus. In terms of call quality I think a slight edge would be given to the Droid 4. I have not had ample time with both phones so I can't say that for sure though.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I see you rooted your OG. If that's what your into, its Nexus without a doubt. Personally, I could never imagine getting a Droid 4 over a Galaxy Nexus. Only if I HAD to have a hardware keyboard.

OP
L

Logan3824

Reaction score
Yea, I love customizing my phone so I will definitely want to be rooting whichever phone I get. I use my physical keyboard quite a bit, especially when driving(bad I know but with the physical keyboard I can look at the street and know exactly what I'm typing).

kwyrt

Reaction score
Depends on your priorities. The D4 is plenty speedy so I wouldn't worry about that. I have found call quality to be fantastic. I think the camera is fine personally but I really don't use it all that often. The biggest differences i think will come down to screen, ROMs, and keyboard. The screen on the Nexus is much better than the screen on the D4. I think the D4 screen is fine, it's certainly not BAD, but it's definitely not as good as the Nexus. D4 ROMs are coming along but a Nexus device is going to have more/better ROMs for obvious reasons. D4 obviously wins in the keyboard department since the Nexus does not have one. The keyboard is really nice on the D4 and goes a long way towards making up for it's inferiority in other areas IMO. I was in the same boat as you and ended up with the D4 and have no regrets.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

OP
L

Logan3824

Reaction score
Depends on your priorities. The D4 is plenty speedy so I wouldn't worry about that. I have found call quality to be fantastic. I think the camera is fine personally but I really don't use it all that often. The biggest differences i think will come down to screen, ROMs, and keyboard. The screen on the Nexus is much better than the screen on the D4. I think the D4 screen is fine, it's certainly not BAD, but it's definitely not as good as the Nexus. D4 ROMs are coming along but a Nexus device is going to have more/better ROMs for obvious reasons. D4 obviously wins in the keyboard department since the Nexus does not have one. The keyboard is really nice on the D4 and goes a long way towards making up for it's inferiority in other areas IMO. I was in the same boat as you and ended up with the D4 and have no regrets.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

Does the D4 have gorilla glass?

Meptrep

Reaction score
1. The Droid 4 is faster than the Galaxy Nexus by a bit. So definitely go for a Droid 4 or a RAZR MAXX, since they're almost identical.
2. The Droid 4's camera works for me quite well, but lots of people complain about it.
3. Call Quality seems fine on the D4, I haven't had any issues with it yet.
4. The screen is quite good, but the Galaxy Nexus definitely has a better screen.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
The call quality on my D4 is great. I have read about alot of people complaining about the nexus's Call quality. I have always owned a moto ( d2g, bionic and now d4) so I can not make a judgement on the Samsung hardware but I will say that the d4 is solid as far as 3g, 4g and call reception.
I don't care about camera. Lol. IMO it is adequate for my needs.
If your a flashaholic and want something to play with go with the nexus. The roms for the d4 are coming along and gummy is stable aside from the cam.
If you must have a keyboard the d4's is freaking awesome.
Battery life for me has been better than expected. I am getting 15-20hrs a charge depending on usage.
Really it boils down to your needs.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Krooked247

Reaction score
I went from the og and was stuck with the same dilemma. I picked the d4 for the keyboard mainly and cuz I loved the og so much.
I wanted the nexus but didn't like the size or how fast the battery will die out with that screen an all. Didn't like the fact that you couldn't pull the battery on the d4 but the nexus doesn't have an sd card slot only 32gb internal memory an I need that sd card slot. My only disappointment with the d4 is the camera... pictures are ok but video was a real let down for 1080p. I don't think there is much speed difference between the gnex an the d4 really. The gnex has more development goin on but I'm patient enough to get the phone I want an the development for the d4 will pick up eventually.
Jus sayin that for me it was the d4 no question an I'm satisfied.

Krooked all day...