Uses for front facing camera

Lars1

Reaction score
Two D3's (mine and wife's) should be arriving today! I have read that the FF camera is useless right now as no chat apps will work. True??

Can my wife and I video chat today?

Thanks

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is a hacked version of Skype over on XDA that is supposed to have video chat.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your wife can use it as a compact or mirror. The FFC is amazingly well done. Gtalk with Video is making it's way here as well. That is what I am hearing anyway.

Reaction score
I'm not talking about anyone in this thread specifically, but just as a general statement, I find it frustrating how people immediately play down the front facing camera as either useless or a novelty. For me, its neither useless nor a novelty. I'm one of those people that would use it several times a week.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about anyone in this thread specifically, but just as a general statement, I find it frustrating how people immediately play down the front facing camera as either useless or a novelty. For me, its neither useless nor a novelty. I'm one of those people that would use it several times a week.

I have been using mine to get my son to talk to his grandparents. He seems to have no shyness when he is looking at himself on the screen. I will admit it will be great to be able to do video chats soon though.

tical364

Reaction score

What types of uses? I have tried to rectify it to myself on several occasions and find it only good for taking a picture of oneself. I'd rather be social and get a friend to take a picture for me. And video chat? Why not just use a computer, they all come with cameras now. I'm not posting this to be rude, I really just wanna know what other people use the camera for.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
Lars1

Lars1

Reaction score

What types of uses? I have tried to rectify it to myself on several occasions and find it only good for taking a picture of oneself. I'd rather be social and get a friend to take a picture for me. And video chat? Why not just use a computer, they all come with cameras now. I'm not posting this to be rude, I really just wanna know what other people use the camera for.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Well, I don't have (and have never had) a camera on my PC and I would love to try video chat.

#2, I would like to try using video chat away from my computer, like on my phone.

AZDroid09

Reaction score
I live in AZ and my son is heading to college in NYC, different time zones, different schedules, not always near a computer, but we both always have our phones and video chat will be great so I can see my boy and talk to him :)

Big D

Reaction score
Tango wasn't working that well before. Does anyone know if they updated it or something?

nednarb

Reaction score
my wife and i just downloaded it this morning and was playing with in our office. it seem to work pretty good. i have never used a service like this before, but i thought it was cool. we were on wifi.

Darksthour

Reaction score
Wait I'm confused. Why would the Droid 3 come with skype preinstalled and a front facing camera and they don't work? I'm not planning on using it for anything at all but just that wow factor of "really verizon? WTF are you doing putting useless crap on my phone!"