Front facing camera and video chat application

nateohio

Reaction score
Is there a video chat application that works reliably with the bionic and the front facing camera???

I know that skype is supposedly able to do it, but I have read alot of reviews to the contrary.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Although I haven't used it, I've heard that Google Talk works fine.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Google Talk will work, but the other party must also have video chat capabilities...

~to powerful to fall into the wrong hands~

ofiba

Reaction score
I have Tango and it seems to work pretty well, although I don't use it very often.

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
Where can I get google talk? I checked the market on my PC and my bionic with no success in finding it.

ruck0loc0

Reaction score
Talk already comes installed on your phone. Its just called talk, check your ap drawer. I've been using tango and it works beautifully

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

DunDun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"Sammy Davis" Galaxy Season 6
I don't remembet if I downloaded it from the app market or if it was preloaded. Look in your app tray for an app that's labeled as "Talk"!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Where can I get google talk? I checked the market on my PC and my bionic with no success in finding it.

Did you find it Nate?

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
Did you find it Nate?

Sure did. I feel like a newb. Been using Android for almost 2 years, never knew that.

bigkhan

Reaction score
Talk is pre installed on your phone, and most Android phones. Any one with a gmail account and Web cam can can talk to you with it. We use it all the time. Between our phones, tablets, and computer, it works great I like it allot better than Skype.

tennvol

Reaction score
Have you tried Skype for yourself?

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
Have you tried Skype for yourself?

Nope. I don't like the user experience on PC's, and I can't imagine it being any better on a phone. But I'm moving up north and my girlfriend is staying here in Texas for a few months so we are trying to figure out the best way for video calling. She doesn't have an FFC right now, but I am thinking about picking her up a bionic off swappa.com

tennvol

Reaction score
Not to be an ass but why not try it for yourself before posting? It's free to download and if it doesn't work then try something else.

Skype works great for me from my bionic and I use it weekly since I'm away from my family.

Google chat hasn't worked too well for me. Video is upside down and choppy

bigkhan

Reaction score
I remember having the upside down problem when I was first trying the different apps. But it was between my Xoom and PC. Just had to set it up again and problem was solved. I thought picture quality from tango sucked. Skype had just released there Android update to video chat when I was trying them out. at the time it was very buggy. Maybe its better now. Haven't used it since September, and google talk works great so didn't have any need to try again.since they are free try them all see what works best for you.

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
Because i only use apps that work reliably 100% of the time, and there are more than a few bionic users out there that skype doesn't work for.

Also, I mentioned the fact that I'm not huge fan of skype on PC's.

And I contribute a hell of alot to these forums and don't spam post. This is a very valid question and seeing as how I have very little experience with video calling, I wanted to get users opinions before I delved into it.

And if google is developing a video chat function to compete with "facetime", I'd much rather support that so they further development on it.

Last edited: