use of phone otside of USA

sugee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
can I use my droid razr (ics) phone in Australia and New Zealand...
I was unable to use it in Holland
thanks

joshxdroid

Reaction score
sugee said:
thanks

I believe you are supposed to buy international minutes from Verizon, but i believe some haves said you should be able to use different carriers sim cards as well. Of course Verizon is going to tell you to buy their minutes.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
thanks

As long as you have ICS installed, you should be able to use your RAZR in both Australia and New Zealand. You should have been able to use it in Holland as well.

You essentially have two options for using the RAZR abroad:

1) Activate international roaming on your Verizon account and use your Verizon SIM and phone number. This is the method that Verizon will recommend to you, and while there's a nice simplicity to it as far as receiving calls/texts from the U.S., it will cost you a fortune if you use your phone very much for calls, texts, and cellular data. You don't buy any minutes from Verizon for this. They just charge you according to what you use. You can purchase international "plans" of sorts that will make roaming globally a bit cheaper, but it's still very expensive.

B) Purchase a pre-paid SIM card from a local carrier in the country you'll be visiting and put it in your phone. This will provide you with a local telephone number and give you an allotment of minutes and texts to use while there, and you can always buy more if you find yourself running out. You can also get data if you want. The advantage with this is that it will be much cheaper than making calls via your Verizon account with international roaming. You don't run any risk whatsoever of incurring any charges from Verizon since the phone will be activated on a local network for the time you're there. And, if for some reason you want to make a call from your Verizon number, if you've enabled international roaming, just turn off the phone, put your Verizon SIM back in, boot it up, and you're good to go.

OP
sugee

sugee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
As long as you have ICS installed, you should be able to use your RAZR in both Australia and New Zealand. You should have been able to use it in Holland as well.

You essentially have two options for using the RAZR abroad:

1) Activate international roaming on your Verizon account and use your Verizon SIM and phone number. This is the method that Verizon will recommend to you, and while there's a nice simplicity to it as far as receiving calls/texts from the U.S., it will cost you a fortune if you use your phone very much for calls, texts, and cellular data. You don't buy any minutes from Verizon for this. They just charge you according to what you use. You can purchase international "plans" of sorts that will make roaming globally a bit cheaper, but it's still very expensive.

B) Purchase a pre-paid SIM card from a local carrier in the country you'll be visiting and put it in your phone. This will provide you with a local telephone number and give you an allotment of minutes and texts to use while there, and you can always buy more if you find yourself running out. You can also get data if you want. The advantage with this is that it will be much cheaper than making calls via your Verizon account with international roaming. You don't run any risk whatsoever of incurring any charges from Verizon since the phone will be activated on a local network for the time you're there. And, if for some reason you want to make a call from your Verizon number, if you've enabled international roaming, just turn off the phone, put your Verizon SIM back in, boot it up, and you're good to go.

2nd opt sounds more reasonable...thanks:)