USB cable not recognized

jackmccarron

Reaction score
Most of the time when I connect my usb cable from my pc (winXP) to my droidX, it is not recognized. Nothing happens. No usb symbol in notification bar. No charging. This is with usb debugging either on or off (in settings/apps/development), doesn't seem to matter. Also doesn't matter which (of 3) usb connectors I use on the pc.

But SOMETIMES it does work. So I "think" my drivers are ok in the pc. I did download and reinstall the moto driver 4.6.0 from Motorola Verizon Droid X USB Drivers & PC Charging Drivers Download | Verizon Cell Phones | Blog about Verizon Phones - no help.

Also noticed that in the media share screen the "enable memory card management" button is grayed out. Don't know if this is related.

How can I get my usb cable recognized, and also get pc charging to work?

My main goal is to get usb tethering to work with pdanet or easy tether. I did get pdanet to work once with good results. Any comments on pdanet vs easytether?

Thx,
Jack

Juggernaut

Reaction score
I don't have an X and not sure if it will help but I do have these same issues with the Moto Droid. I rarely shut down my laptop, just let it go on standby. Most of time when I wake it up and try to connect the Droid it won't show up or charge. I have to restart my computer then all works fine.

OP
jackmccarron

jackmccarron

Reaction score
I tried that without success. Must be some other issue. Thanks.

floydiannyc

Reaction score
Remove the SD card then retry. I saw this in another thread and it worked.

Was having the same problem and this worked. I removed the battery and sd card. Replaced them, started the phone and waalaa. Back to normal.

OP
jackmccarron

jackmccarron

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I tried all these suggestions and now it seems to be working reliably.

addict4life

Reaction score
Nice! dancedroid
i had this same problem do you have advanced task killer? i been in contact with the developer and that app if not properly used will shut down ur usb port. let me know and i will explain how to tweak the settings.

Victor Sosa

Reaction score
Remove the battery and sd card? Really? I am going to have to give this a try because my usb connection worked fine for up until yesterday. And I plugged it into more than one computer with no success.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Nice! dancedroid
i had this same problem do you have advanced task killer? i been in contact with the developer and that app if not properly used will shut down ur usb port. let me know and i will explain how to tweak the settings.

No ATK here. I had the same issues before I rooted. I tried pulling the battery and SD card but no luck. I have to restart my computer so it my not be my phone.

Legacy23

Reaction score
I've had this problem as well and simply rebooting the phone worked like a champ for me...maybe you guys can try that instead of taking out the battery and the sd card....it may save some time and effort

Juggernaut

Reaction score
I've had this problem as well and simply rebooting the phone worked like a champ for me...maybe you guys can try that instead of taking out the battery and the sd card....it may save some time and effort

I tried that also with no luck. Thanks though. Also remember I'm not using the X so this could be a totally different issue with me.

Victor Sosa

Reaction score
I did pull the battery and sd card, and it worked for me. Thanks for the info!

Vilkus

Reaction score
Pc settings

Remove the battery and sd card? Really? I am going to have to give this a try because my usb connection worked fine for up until yesterday. And I plugged it into more than one computer with no success.
HI I use a macbook and have some usb issues with the computer not seeing the droidx. I have used it on PC's too by setting the usb setting in notifications when plugged into the usb.
Hope this helps. I enjoy the forum.