Upgrade SD Card in DX?

toomuchrum

Reaction score
HI. I'm fairly new to the DX. I've 'rooted', applied the tethering, and recently upgraded the ROM to APEX 1.4.1. I'm learning!!!

My question is. I'm running the pre-installed SD card that came with my DX. I recently purchased a larger card (16GB) that I want to install, BUT ... I don't want to loose any of the data/apps/etc that are on the original card. Is there a way to 'clone' the factory card over to the card that I will be installing? I do have a home PC with a SD card slot. If anyone knows of a tutorial or a step by step for cloning a DX SD card, it would be a great help!

Thanks!

qman66

Reaction score
if u dont have a lot of things installed like less than 6gb u can transfer it to the root of the phone and then put the new card in and move it back. the root directory is /data

OP
T

toomuchrum

Reaction score
Ok, is there an easy way to do that? I'm fairly sure I have enough room on the DX built in memory. I have 'Astro' file manager installed. Is there a way to do it with that or is there a better way/app to move all from SD to phone memory?

Thanks.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
You know they have 32gb cards right?

I am lost here....I have 16GB cards in both my D1 and D2.....why do you have to "upgrade" to a 16 on a DX?

OP
T

toomuchrum

Reaction score
Under my 'SD card and phone storage settings' it is telling me that

Total Space: 1.86GB
Available: 1.18GB

I'm assuming that my DX came with a 2GB SD card (thats why I want to upgrade to 16GB).

My 'Internal Phone Storage' says

Available Space: 6.19GB

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think I have a 32GB card like you are suggesting.

Thanks.

Technoman

Reaction score
They changed the X to a 2 gig card at some point.

The best way to do this is to copy all contents of the 2 gig card to your PC, change out the card in your phone. Attach the phone to your PC, and copy the contents (directories and files) to the new card.

OP
T

toomuchrum

Reaction score
They changed the X to a 2 gig card at some point.

The best way to do this is to copy all contents of the 2 gig card to your PC, change out the card in your phone. Attach the phone to your PC, and copy the contents (directories and files) to the new card.

Thats for a direct and clear answer. I knew I could do this, but I was not sure if there was a linux (android) filesystem that needed to be kept intact (cloning). Thanks for the help!!!!

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
Connect your phone to your computer via USB mass storage. Go to the SD cards contents. Go to the organize option on the opened window, then folder and search options. Then go to the view tab and make sure that show hidden files is checked. Now insert your other SD card to your computers slot wait for it to open. Go to your phones SD card and hit ctrl+A and then ctrl+C. Right click on the new SD card window and hit paste. Wait for it to stop copying and you should have your stuff copied to your new card now. So now just swap out your cards and you should be fine.

I never tried this since i have the 16gig and dont really need more memory. But someone who knows more can chime in.

0reo

Reaction score
I was able to just copy the files on the original card to the new card using a computer and a couple micro-SD USB adapters. Nothing fancy to it. No file system to wory about or anything. Easy-breezy.