Update to Nougat on my S7 - Not happy

JandN2639

Reaction score
It needs a patch. Recently tried reinstalling the folders in a futile attempt to restore all the apps to the home screens--no go! Drippler, Mr. Number, Firefox, and many others won't stay in the folders. It's a problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wardo

Reaction score
Pretty sure we have the same gripe. I don't want a two step process to open text. Pointless

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

shockracer

Reaction score
I'm currently experiencing battery issues.the battery is draining vary fast and the Samsung wireless charger is going into error mode (blinking blue led).

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Surprisingly I've had no problems with the update. Make sure you do a FDR after the nougat update & it should resolve any issues.

S7 Edge tap'n

JandN2639

Reaction score
Is FDR factory reset? That really shouldn't be necessary!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3

Yes, FDR is factory data reset. Doing a FDR before and/or after a major update (such as nougat) is very good practice. Your phone keeps lots & lots of residual data from the old OS and from apps that are set to work with the old OS. Sometimes this old data for the old OS conflicts with operations of the new OS, which can cause battery drain, apps behaving badly, reboots, etc. Doing an FDR makes sure everything works smoothly without any conflicts.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Yeah and no. Think about it..... These updates are tested and retested on FACTORY-fresh phones by att, vz, etc. They work out (hopefully) all the bugs and then release the update. An app you might have at time of install might get the update a hiccough. Flash before every update, then reload your apps. Been preaching this since gingerbread.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JandN2639

Reaction score
Then all apps, such as Drippler, lose all preexisting data!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Then all apps, such as Drippler, lose all preexisting data!

You will want to save any data, pictures, documents, downloads that you want to keep for after your FDR. Save it to a USB drive or your PC. Most apps that you have to log into should keep your data for each time you log back in.

JandN2639

Reaction score
And just for reference, what are the steps for a factory reset? We have a Samsung Galaxy S7.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
And just for reference, what are the steps for a factory reset? We have a Samsung Galaxy S7.

1. First save/back up to your PC, a flash drive or SD card everything you want to save (pictures, texts, phone call logs, documents, downloads, data, etc. I use sms backup & restore for texts and MyBackup pro for data, phone logs, app data, etc. Take your time to make sure you have saved everything you want to keep.

2. Make sure your phone is fully charged.

3. In your phone's settings, go to backup & reset. Under Google account, select "Back Up My Data" and "Automatic restore."

4. Select Factory Data Reset.

5. After the FDR is finished, you will need to set up your phone as if it was brand new. The first things I do when setting up after I sign in, is...

*Go to play store and stop my apps from automatically installing. Instead, I install them one by one.
*Restore my saved texts and call logs back onto my phone.

JandN2639

Reaction score
1. First save/back up to your PC, a flash drive or SD card everything you want to save (pictures, texts, phone call logs, documents, downloads, data, etc. I use sms backup & restore for texts and MyBackup pro for data, phone logs, app data, etc. Take your time to make sure you have saved everything you want to keep.

2. Make sure your phone is fully charged.

3. In your phone's settings, go to backup & reset. Under Google account, select "Back Up My Data" and "Automatic restore."

4. Select Factory Data Reset.

5. After the FDR is finished, you will need to set up your phone as if it was brand new. The first things I do when setting up after I sign in, is...

*Go to play store and stop my apps from automatically installing. Instead, I install them one by one.
*Restore my saved texts and call logs back onto my phone.

Thanks for this!

We did a factory reset several days ago and moved all installed apps to appropriate homescreen folders. Once we restarted the S7, the same apps disappeared from the folders.

Clearly, there is a glitch in Nougat!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks for this!

We did a factory reset several days ago and moved all installed apps to appropriate homescreen folders. Once we restarted the S7, the same apps disappeared from the folders.

Clearly, there is a glitch in Nougat!

Sorry to hear that. What a pita! The installed apps are still installed, correct? I don't use the stock samsung launcher so haven't had a problem with my folders. On my launcher (I use Lucid), when I reinstall apps they return to the folder I had them set up in before my FDR.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Fortunately my S7 Edge had been running great since the update & FDR. (knock on wood) I only have issues with one app and I know it's the actual app and not Nougat, so I'm pretty pleased so far. Hopefully "O" will further improve upon this. It's nice to see Android finally stepping up to the plate and releasing OS updates with MUCH fewer issues, (as a whole) than in years past.

S7 Edge tap'n