[Update] GSM Samsung Galaxy S III is Too Hot to Handle; Literally Catches Fire

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
We shall see what happens. Could be true, could end up like the exploding screen on that Moto a while back.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Check out this video to see what is near the location of the blow out. Doesn't seem to be much in the area, except the microphone and charging port. I think the user was maybe using an after market charger with different from the suggested amp and voltage. IMHO

Around 6:30 he pulls the main board out and you get a good look at it.
http://youtu.be/eo93EF7rVIw

At exactly 6:01, and to the right of his thumb is a small gold block. This could be something like a voltage regulator or other transistorized component. It's also in this pic...

View attachment 51291

Click to enlarge.

This is actually the underside of the motherboard when looking from the back where the battery is, so if you flip this over, it would sit to the right of the power connector. If this guy inserted the phone into his car dock and even if it wasn't hooked up to power, he accidentally inserted it crooked, it could have shorted out two or more pins on the connector and back-fed power from the charging circuit through that component. It would heat up and eventually blow out with a burst of flame as you see on the pics.

You'll notice the burn mark is just to the left of the power connector, right were this component would sit.

I've flipped it around here to match up.

View attachment 51292View attachment 51293

Last edited:

meishkov

Reaction score
his device became hotter than the presales figures

Hahahaha, great line:hail:
In all seriousness tho thats pretty scary, and it wasn't even plugged into the car dock. I guess I won't be regretting not pre-ordering one:biggrin:
This reminds me of when I first got my OG and a story like this circulated, but the screen appeared to have exploded outwards and the guy's ear was all cut up bloody and everything, pretty believable I suppose. Can't remember what ever happened with that though, I think it got labeled a hoax, not positive tho.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Look...just because the guy microwaved his phone to dry it out is no reason to assume this isn't a rampant problem with all SGSIII's and entirely Samsung's fault...:saint:

You_cant_fix_stupid.jpg

Briankbl

Reaction score
Can we take this down now? No need in freaking anyone out with false info.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Belly v2.2!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe change the title...lol.

But you know some iPhone, Apple fans had a field day with this....until now. Now its awfully quiet...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Jeez. Just think if this thing was in his pocket(Assuming this to be true). He better get reimbursed.

This doesn't mean all devices will explode.. for all we know, this is the one bad Samsung phone in the world at the moment.

Yeah, being in your pocket could have been really bad. How much would Samsung reimburse me for one nut? LOL

Briankbl

Reaction score
There is no point to this article anymore. Another, separate thread has been posted with all the details. So, I ask again, can we close/delete this thread please? Even though the post itself was updated, the title wasn't, which is extremely misleading.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Belly v2.2!