Update for liberty???

janderson2k

Reaction score
no ones really released any new updates for DX GB roms lately. theyre all waiting for the official GB ota i believe. besides its a donation, not a subscription.

Didn't pay for nightlies to receive bi-week(or monthly) releases.

I totally disagree. When you label something "Nightlies" you set the bar relatively high by eluding to the fact that there will be NIGHTLY updates. I would be more than happy with BI WEEKLY updates. Not upset that I spent $5.00 for the software - we spend more than that and get less on other things. But - nevertheless I am somewhat disappointed with the overall quality of the ROM.

<Flame suite on>
I think this ROM is missing one key ingredient, Kejar.

OP
H

haxerpaylay

Reaction score
no ones really released any new updates for DX GB roms lately. theyre all waiting for the official GB ota i believe. besides its a donation, not a subscription.

Didn't pay for nightlies to receive bi-week(or monthly) releases.

I totally disagree. When you label something "Nightlies" you set the bar relatively high by eluding to the fact that there will be NIGHTLY updates. I would be more than happy with BI WEEKLY updates. Not upset that I spent $5.00 for the software - we spend more than that and get less on other things. But - nevertheless I am somewhat disappointed with the overall quality of the ROM.

<Flame suite on>
I think this ROM is missing one key ingredient, Kejar.

Im not disappointed with the rom at all. I love the quality of this rom. It has everything I want.

And fyi I didn't intend on this thread becoming what it has. I was simple asking when an update was arriving.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

bluskyline21

Reaction score
I agree that it should've been worded differently in the Donate app. "Nightlies" implies nightly releases or *at least* consistent updates. They should've phrased it differently. Then ppl wouldn't have the expectation that a new build would be released nightly...

I really liked this ROM from Froyo 1.0--LGB 0.5. It has a great "staff" support and community support, which is a big plus. They have done a lot in the time they've been out and they do have lives they have to live and THAT should always be the first priority imo.

They have given so much for free that it's not unreasonable to ask for donations. I just don't like that it's in the form of something that will inevitably be free *shrug*. It's like paying to play a beta of a game that will be free when it retails. Just doesn't make sense. You SHOULD get something extra for donation, however. An incentive, I guess.

I wouldn't have switched to ZombieStomped if Liberty's Customizer actually gave me the blur I wanted. I guess I just need to find the right combination of apps to suit me.

preusstang

Reaction score
I somewhat agree with the original poster simply for the fact that I have had consistent bugs with my v0.5 regardless of how many times I've flashed. Contacts closes all the time like the original accounts bug. I have issues with email app and countless bugs in toolbox: wont reboot into bootloader or recovery or even reboot at all. Wont install zip from sd, wont open ROM Manager-> roms, wont "install bootloader". I always get a "could not mount r/w". For everything. I've even sbf'ed and came back.

I never had any of these problems with 2.0.1. Its so disheartening..

No ones (barely) even responded to my bug report in the toolbox sticky.

That's why I want to see an update. I want something that will give me a working liberty GB.

The team can take their time. That's fine with me. But im eagerly awaiting a build that will let me add new contacts to my phone, instead of saving names and numbers in my draft box.

Much love

/*
unless explicitly stated, sent from my liberated X.
mm, gingerbread ^_^
*/

KiGood

Reaction score
He just finished with finals and tweeted that it's time for some Android fun. Plus with the final release of GB coming they are going to have to port all the work over again. It isn't too much longer.

OP
H

haxerpaylay

Reaction score
He just finished with finals and tweeted that it's time for some Android fun. Plus with the final release of GB coming they are going to have to port all the work over again. It isn't too much longer.

Thanks, finally some of the info I was asking for!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Koveleski

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.kovdev.com
Information is available if you search for it. In another thread, I stated that we were halting development since the OTA was supposedly imminent based on the information from P3 (which people value as reliable in relation to Moto leaks).

As for it being nightlies, when we implemented that feature in the donation toolbox, guess what? It was pretty accurate. If you are just donating to jrummy now, well then yes, you aren't seeing a 'nightly' update.

Why is that? Refer to first statement. We decided that continuing to develop on the leak builds when the OTA was around the corner was a waste of time. Add on the fact that jrummy had finals and had to move out of his current location.

So, I'll take the high road and apologize that the button still says what it says. It was most heinous of us to not push out an update that changed the text to something more proper like 'HALTED FOR OTA' or to that degree. We'll try to be more on top of that in the future.

As for the OP, as soon as you hear of the OTA going out from VZW, you'll most likely see new versions to flash via the (currently stagnant) nightlies section.

Have a good memorial weekend everyone. :)

Jubakuba

Reaction score
I personally have no problem with waiting for releases.
LibGB0.5 is running...well.
Random reboots after an hour of music use. But hey, I can deal...kinda.
The thing I hate is not knowing WTF is going on.

Jrummy finally tweeted that post (as mentioned above) after leaving us in the dark for weeks. And I'm sure we'll have silence for another few weeks now.
I had heard that the OTA would stall development...but not form Jrummy himself.
The thing I hate about LibGB at the moment...is it doesn't seem to be a rom anymore.
It's just a boot animation and yellow notification icons.
Then...we get this application that flashes pieces that could be flashed manually just (well...almost) as easily.

I also notice he hasn't even taken the effort to remove the blur.
I know...people are like "omgwow blur is cool now." Uh...what exactly changed? It's...bluish now. Cool.
It went from terrible and the worst thing on android...to fantastic. Because it's blue.

Don't quote me...but wasn't all of that effort with removing blur...to speed up our phones? And remove that crapware?
Now all that is done is it has been hidden.

LibGB isn't a ROM.
It's a light theme.
Liberty Toolbox is an application.

GTX1

Reaction score
Information is available if you search for it. In another thread, I stated that we were halting development since the OTA was supposedly imminent based on the information from P3 (which people value as reliable in relation to Moto leaks).

As for it being nightlies, when we implemented that feature in the donation toolbox, guess what? It was pretty accurate. If you are just donating to jrummy now, well then yes, you aren't seeing a 'nightly' update.

Why is that? Refer to first statement. We decided that continuing to develop on the leak builds when the OTA was around the corner was a waste of time. Add on the fact that jrummy had finals and had to move out of his current location.

So, I'll take the high road and apologize that the button still says what it says. It was most heinous of us to not push out an update that changed the text to something more proper like 'HALTED FOR OTA' or to that degree. We'll try to be more on top of that in the future.

As for the OP, as soon as you hear of the OTA going out from VZW, you'll most likely see new versions to flash via the (currently stagnant) nightlies section.

Have a good memorial weekend everyone. :)

I saw you're post actually, where you stated that you would just wait for OTA and that the next update would be coming after the update. Fine.

Except that it was after 0.5 was out.

Funny part is, I got in on the toolbox when it was at 0.2, so I actually have been around, you just seem to think I'm the worst possible case spewing the most possible accusations on the subject; all because I don't post much, probably. I mean how long has it been sense 0.5 was posted? Look how long it took for me to even care about it, I only said something because I had a feeling someone would agree with me.

The funny part is, I actually like the Toolbox, I like the ROM, and I've now lost some respect for the Team Members. Not in their skill at what they do, but only in that they have a hard time filling in the people who support them on the news. A "tweet" is great and all, but don't you think something a little more official is needed? How long does it take to click "start thread", when you count in that your making money off this...?

When you posted in the forum stating that you were waiting for the OTA, the actual thread wasn't even started by you, or any of your Team. So excuse me for viewing your poor communication and vocalizing it.

:) Thanks.

PS. Those last two sentences pretty much some up my little disruption in the force here.

Last edited:

Koveleski

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.kovdev.com
Jrummy finally tweeted that post (as mentioned above) after leaving us in the dark for weeks. And I'm sure we'll have silence for another few weeks now.
The thing I hate about LibGB at the moment...is it doesn't seem to be a rom anymore.
Then...we get this application that flashes pieces that could be flashed manually just (well...almost) as easily.

I know...people are like "omgwow blur is cool now." Uh...what exactly changed? It's...bluish now. Cool.
It went from terrible and the worst thing on android...to fantastic. Because it's blue.

Don't quote me...but wasn't all of that effort with removing blur...to speed up our phones? And remove that crapware?

LibGB isn't a ROM.
It's a light theme.

A lot more blur was added back into the Liberty ROM in previous iterations (and so on) as more and more people requested certain Blur features. The improvements in speed within GB alone, are substantial enough, to allow us to retain more of the blur framework so that people can have choices between the different AOSP/Blur apps & widgets. And just because there is still blur doesn't mean that tweaks and optimizations have not occurred. Gingerbread just happens, as I mentioned above, enough improvements that it appears to move faster - even when under the strain of Blur.

On a side note, Blur has been streamlined a bit so that not all of it is as terrible as it was (personal opinion, as is anyone's) which is why you are seeing more comments about it being 'cooler' than previous. In an effort to please everyone who chooses to use Liberty, certain concessions had to be made - which is leaving in more Blur with the option to toggle.

I saw you're post actually, where you stated that you would just wait for OTA and that the next update would be coming after the update. Fine.

Except that it was after 0.5 was out.

Funny part is, I got in on the toolbox when it was at 0.2, so I actually have been around, you just seem to think I'm the worst possible case spewing the most possible accusations on the subject; all because I don't post much, probably. I mean how long has it been sense 0.5 was posted? Look how long it took for me to even care about it, I only said something because I had a feeling someone would agree with me.

The funny part is, I actually like the Toolbox, I like the ROM, and I've now lost some respect for the Team Members. Not in their skill at what they do, but only in that they have a hard time filling in the people who support them on the news. A "tweet" is great and all, but don't you think something a little more official is needed? How long does it take to click "start thread", when you count in that your making money off this...?

When you posted in the forum stating that you were waiting for the OTA, the actual thread wasn't even started by you, or any of your Team. So excuse me for viewing your poor communication and vocalizing it.

:) Thanks.

PS. Those last two sentences pretty much some up my little disruption in the force here.

Yes, when releasing v0.5 was when the news broke and that's when we decided to halt until the OTA. I'm not sure what you meant by the comment about the timing of things. Also, why do you assume I even look at post counts when responding to people? I respond to content of posts without really looking if Jesus himself wrote it. So I apologize if you think my comment was somehow meant to be derogatory in any manner, including related to posting status.

In terms of how we communicated our current development status, yes you are right. It's mostly my fault as jrummy doesn't really hit up the forums that often. So I do take the blame for that, and you are not excused for vocalizing your opinion. That's what these forums are for. Opinions, assistance and trolling.

I'll work harder to more accurately reflect the status of jrummy's Liberty development via 'official' threads which I'll sticky for a good amount of time.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

modisch

Reaction score
VZW support is now showing GB as the upcoming update, suggesting that the OTA is eminent.

Software Update: DROID X by Motorola

So it shouldn't be long before .596 is in the wild and rom devs can get to work with that. I'm sure we'll see some exciting liberty action shortly after .596 is available.

-m

Reaction score
I personally have no problem with waiting for releases.
LibGB0.5 is running...well.
Random reboots after an hour of music use. But hey, I can deal...kinda.
The thing I hate is not knowing WTF is going on.

LibGB isn't a ROM.
It's a light theme.

I have the perfect solution to his problem, Jabakuba. Why don't you program your own ROM, and then you can take the effort to remove the blur?

There's free stuff all over the place. Yet a lot of us don't take it, because we don't like it. We don't sit there and whine about the free stuff not being good enough. So you can either: A. Make your own freakin' ROM, or B. Stop complaining about these totally awesome developers who have provided you with a FREE service so that you can do whatever you want with your phone. If it wasn't for them, your X would be just another vanilla Android phone. With Madden NFL and Need for Speed (YAY!)

So let's thank them for the awesome FREE service they've provided, give them a couple of dancing bananas (because we can't buy them drinks) :icon_ banana::icon_ banana: and wait for the next FREE release of these awesome developers' ROM. Did I mention it's FREE?

falseprofits

Reaction score
I'm going to have to agree with Kasey on this one. I've found that if a certain ROM doesn't fit my needs / wants / likes generally I will find another one, or find a way to mod that current ROM in to something that I like / need / want.

What's nice about Liberty lately is they give you the option (for example, that pretty sweet Liberty Customizer) to change certain aspects from Blur to AOSP. And if those aren't good enough, I'm not sure any ROM will be and you might as well stick to a Froyo based ROM until you get a new phone, or as Kasey said, make your own ROM.

Furthermore, though I agree that in my mind nightly literally means NIGHTLY. In the Linux dev world, a nightly literally is posting the days work, regardless of whether it is finished. It's literally the days work and it will buggy and possibly broken. It's more less what I considered to be even pre-alpha (as in, before it is even tested).

It seems that the dev team here goes a bit further than this and I would even label these releases as a working concept, Alpha, or Beta releases. That right there is totally cool with me. I would be a little upset if I flashed a ROM that was buggy and broken - not that I complain or anything, you just have to report bugs or else whining is useless.

I think the last part of this is that this seems like an active community. Active communities understand each other and each other situation and because of that, I understand why there hasn't been any updates. We all have lives outside of the internet and our phones (hopefully). In fact, I would say that that that life comes first to me and most other people. Hacking my phone and messing with it is a hobby. Not a necessity. I it's cool if the devs have finals, or are moving or are waiting for the OTA. I get that.

If you're really that bored with it, there are some other slightly more inferior ROMS you can play with out there. That's what nandroid is for.

bluskyline21

Reaction score
What's nice about Liberty lately is they give you the option (for example, that pretty sweet Liberty Customizer) to change certain aspects from Blur to AOSP. And if those aren't good enough, I'm not sure any ROM will be and you might as well stick to a Froyo based ROM until you get a new phone, or as Kasey said, make your own ROM.

If you're really that bored with it, there are some other slightly more inferior ROMS you can play with out there. That's what nandroid is for.

Not all of the "blur" in the Customizer is true blur. It hasn't been since 1.5. It has always been some sort of their own interpretation of it.

To call all other ROMS inferior is a huge leap. It's all about personal preference. IMO, Liberty has become the inferior ROM due to what I want on my phone and their not supplying it. Soooo, I moved on until they get it together :)

So let's thank them for the awesome FREE service they've provided, give them a couple of dancing bananas (because we can't buy them drinks)
icon_%20banana.gif
icon_%20banana.gif
and wait for the next FREE release of these awesome developers' ROM. Did I mention it's FREE?

Except...LGB isn't free and that's what he was talking about... lol :shocked:

Last edited: