update 4.4 for Samsung Galaxy S4

smmfc

Reaction score
I tried the Kies app but it still just says my phone is up to date. Has anyone updated via this way successfully?

bbtkd

Reaction score
Any word on the Verizon update yet?

Someone made a very good point that Verizon might not want to steal the thunder of the S5 (which will arrive with KitKat) by updating the S4 with KitKat first. But - there is no excuse for Samsung still not having updated my Note 10.1 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LuckyLittleFoot

Reaction score
Someone made a very good point that Verizon might not want to steal the thunder of the S5 (which will arrive with KitKat) by updating the S4 with KitKat first. But - there is no excuse for Samsung still not having updated my Note 10.1 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, good point however, with the amount of money we all pay Verizon each month for service, they should not keep us customers waiting.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I've read that KitKat reduces the functionality of the microSD card by preventing apps from being moved to it or from even saving files to it. Since we only really have abut 8 GB storage on our phones, that will make things too tight. Perhaps I'll skip KitKat.

bbtkd

Reaction score
I've read that KitKat reduces the functionality of the microSD card by preventing apps from being moved to it or from even saving files to it. Since we only really have abut 8 GB storage on our phones, that will make things too tight. Perhaps I'll skip KitKat.

From what I've read, it doesn't completely stop apps from writing to the card. It requires apps to associate themselves with a specific directory, then limits them to writing that one. They can still read others, and you would be able to write to any directory from a PC. If you remove an app it will remove the files and directory associated with it.

coryrk26

Reaction score
As long as the Google music app can still write my music library to the SD card, I'll be happy...

BobDog437

Reaction score
The whole waiting thing, so as to not steal the thunder from S5, does not make sense. If all of the other providers were not releasing the update....then it would make sense. Just another case of Verizon being late to the party. Ten more months and I will be moving to another state and in Ten more months my contract will be up. And, in ten more months, in a new state and no contract...Verizon may not necessarily have the best network for me. I will definitely be shopping around. I am not just aggravated about them (once again) being last to update. Just a general lack. Of support, having the best phones, supporting the phones they have, over pricing, etc.

THESHADOW1937

Reaction score
BobDog437

Why not look into T-Mobile. The pay your etf when u switch and they have a growing superfast 4GLTE network with a great upgrade plan,
They also have simple choice with unlimited talk messaging and data. Check it out if u haven't done so slready.

NOVICE

Reaction score
As long as the Google music app can still write my music library to the SD card, I'll be happy...

I'm not sure that you can unless you are rooted. Or perhaps if you write directly from the pc onto the SD card. I've read various articles and I'm still uncertain.

If anyone has a definitive answer I would certainly appreciate clarification.

I have a 32 GB. Note 3. I have 20 GB on internal storage and another another 15 on a micro SD card. It is simple to use ASTRO file manager to transfer almost any app to external storage. I'm certain this will be impossible with KitKat. I just don't know the available workarounds without rooting.

I have yet to hear of a compelling feature which justifies KitKat for my purposes. But I'm open to any suggestions.