update 4.4 for Samsung Galaxy S4

OP
neckbreak

neckbreak

Reaction score
It's still nice to get an update for a phone, wether it's a big update or not. At least it's nice to know that my phone gets attention from Samsung and isn't out dated yet lol

bbtkd

Reaction score
It's still nice to get an update for a phone, wether it's a big update or not. At least it's nice to know that my phone gets attention from Samsung and isn't out dated yet lol

It's like Christmas every time I get an OS update or app update! Never know what you'll get.

jshaw42

Reaction score
4.4.2 is still a bit unstable with the GPS. A couple of times after updating an app, it started searching for no apparent reason. If I turn GPS off then back on, it clears up.

mokes

Reaction score
I'm on Verizon. My phone is still at 4.22? Why am I not receiving updates?

bbtkd

Reaction score
I'm on Verizon. My phone is still at 4.22? Why am I not receiving updates?

You should have gotten 4.3 a while back. Should have at least seen the download, and an upgrade attempt. It might refuse to install if you've rooted or had an install issue but you would at least have seen it try. What happens if you go into settings/more/about phone? Does it show 4.22 or 4.3? If 4.22, then try software update and see what history it shows. Can also check for new updates and see if that triggers anything.

deputc26

Reaction score
Can anyone report on sd card functionality? 4.4 apparently breaks the ability to write to the sd card, if this issue is confirmed I'm going to be looking for a way to block the update.

THESHADOW1937

Reaction score
It seems to me that if you don't set your phone to update automatically you will not be required to update to 4.4. I could be wtong about yhis so fellow forum members plesse correct me if I am mistaken

deputc26

Reaction score
It seems to me that if you don't set your phone to update automatically you will not be required to update to 4.4. I could be wtong about yhis so fellow forum members plesse correct me if I am mistaken
Yes you always have to select "agree and install" but I would like to avoid the persistent notification bar nag which means commanding the phone not to download the update.

ms4teacher

Reaction score
I just checked the developer's page of pdanet and found that my hotspot will no longer work via Wi-Fi. So needless to say I'm out of this update for sure. Hopefully, they can update it to function with kit Kat...

ms4teacher

Reaction score
Might be a noob question but how can I block an ota update or disable notifications for my S4 for the Kit Kat 4.4?

mokes

Reaction score
I check for new updates and all I get is the "software update is currently unavailable" message.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
If you're rooted, you can block all system updates by freezing "SDM1.0" with Titanium Backup.

bbtkd

Reaction score
I check for new updates and all I get is the "software update is currently unavailable" message.

OK, what does it say above the check for new software update button before you hit it. It should show all previous updates. On mine I see one from 12/16/13 and one from 10/29/13. This can vary by a few days, and the number of past updates may vary depending on when your phone was "born".

bbtkd

Reaction score
Can anyone report on sd card functionality? 4.4 apparently breaks the ability to write to the sd card, if this issue is confirmed I'm going to be looking for a way to block the update.

Reading up on this, it appears that it does not break SD cards per se, but does restrict use a bit. Only system apps will have free reign over the SD card, but downloaded apps can only write/delete/modify in the directory associated with the app. If that app is removed, so are the files - so removal of a downloaded camera app would remove pictures you may have wanted. Also utilities like Astro would no longer have write access to all SD card directories. Sounds like you can still mount the card on a PC and put files wherever you want. It could be inconvenient depending on how you use your SD card, but not totally broken unless you are a conspiracy theorist. NSA says you are.