Unstable Overclock, can anyone recommend settings? [DX/D2 Overclock]

Taegost

Reaction score
So I've been riding the 1.2 preset in the DX/D2 Overclock app and it's been entirely stable, but it's a wonder how that little .1 difference between clocking at 1.2ghz and 1.3ghz makes in performance.

I've still had little to no luck with any recommended voltages at 1.3 - but I'm seeing some folks report stable profiles at as high as 1.4, is each device really that different or am I just barely missing something crucial here?

Yes, each device is different. I believe in that thread I linked to earlier, he talks briefly about the fabrication process and gives a link to an article that explains it in detail.
In a nutshell, if you do a fabrication run that nets 1000 chips, you could potentially have 1000 different maximum settings.
On my old Droid 1, I could never get it stable over 1.2GHz, even at High voltage, even though some people could go up to 1.4GHz with Ultra-Low Voltage. I could also never get any ULV kernels to work at all, even at the stock frequency.
With my Droid 2, I'm stable up to 1.35GHz ULV, but once I go to 1.4GHz the entire system becomes unstable and apps crash all over the place. I haven't tried to see if I can go faster at a higher voltage because I don't actually have my phone overclocked, the extra .35GHz doesn't make enough difference in my daily use to justify using it.
I've even seen someone with an OG Droid that couldn't go over 600MHz even at High voltage or the system would just freeze and boot loop.

shaggy84

Reaction score
I just used this overclock program and got a little carried away and checked to see how the phone would work at 1.4. Turns out the phone did not appreciate it and now, although it is set to wait 90 secs before it O/Cs, it reboots before the app is loaded up for me to go in and change the settings. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? It's been letting me kill it with the task killer once but then it reloads and then reboots.

shaggy84

Reaction score
Nevermind that last one. I was able to get into Superuser and deny the permissions to root for the DX/D2 Overclocker before it loaded and I changed the settings back. Definitely unchecked the "start at boot" option. I am a rookie so this lesson was learned.

Dr. Phil

Reaction score
Is there really that much variance between phones? I've been using Droid Overclock, running the preset 1350-1100-900-400 scale (low voltage). Been stable for over a week, no unexpected reboots...And unless the battery is below 30%, I'm on a 1100 min / 1350 max profile.

OP
arrjaytea

arrjaytea

Reaction score
Is there really that much variance between phones? I've been using Droid Overclock, running the preset 1350-1100-900-400 scale (low voltage). Been stable for over a week, no unexpected reboots...And unless the battery is below 30%, I'm on a 1100 min / 1350 max profile.

Well, it's only a single case comparison - but yeah, they seem to be. Mine will absolutely not tolerate anything in the 1300 realm for longer than an hour or so.

The 1.2 preset has basically been the best I've been able to do, and while the performance increase is modest, it has provided the little bit of extra "oomf" I was looking for.

Been quite happy since the whole feeling out process.

jbrown187

Reaction score
I used to have issues overclocking with the stock ROM but after switching to Fission I am stable at 1.4 on low voltage.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

sk8

Reaction score
Quickclock advanced is nice. It checks bmv aswell as bmf and creates profiles, leaning towards the conservative side which is good. Its fully editable and calculates bmv based on user input for Max speed. I bump up the vsels a couple because bmvs are set a too low and I will get random reboots with stock settings. During the day I run the battery saver profile and eliminate the highest settings and use high speed for after work.

sent from a sweet paper weight

Taegost

Reaction score

Definitely. Because we're talking about technology on a nano scale, even the slightest variation can cause a major difference in the output. In certain applications, this variation can actually be a very good thing for consumers...
I dunno if it's still the case, but the original Celeron chips were nothing more then Pentiums that failed quality testing for the speeds they were looking for, but were stable at lower speeds... So instead of discarding them, they rebranded them and sold them for a lower price... But to an enterprising overclocker who knew what to do, you could do a massive overclock on the chips (Similar in scale to what they did with the OG Droid) and have a chip that performs better then a stock Pentium for half the price.

andyc

Reaction score
The voltages may be a little too low for the first 2 slots.

Might try upping them a little bit and see how that goes.

Can you recommend any increments to try?

Apologies, I'm quite new to the overclock world and have had a difficult time understanding what kind of parameters are safe in these kinds of things.

Try

Max: 1300000

Slot 1: 450000
Slot 1v: 36
Slot 2: 700000
Slot 2v: 48
Slot 3: 100000
Slot 3v: 55
Slot 4: 1300000
Slot 4v: 67

Somewhat how I have mine setup just at a lower overclock. I tweaked the voltages a bit to kind of match how that would work with the 1.3GHz settings. Let me know how it works out!

Thank you! Those settings on Liberty 1.5 are smooooth. Correction, slot three is at 58

suquet.paul

Reaction score
Well, a couple hours on and it's reboot a couple of times so I've reverted back to the 1.2 profile (the most stable thus far, no reboots), does this generally indicate there's still an increase needed?

Also, any idea as to why the issue diminishes at higher voltage?

First off, you should know, every single device is different. Its amazing how much a device can be different during manufacturing process... So, that said, my settings might not work as well on your phone. Overclocking is a matter of trying, testing and keeping track of everything (battery consumption, benchmarking stats, stability tests, and of course, temperature).

I used the 1.3ghz preset to make my own. I notied that my set (mexican droid x), became not just unstable, but unusable if I used the 1.4 or 1.45ghz presets; so i decided to take it up to 1.35ghz. Only thing I changed from the 1.3 preset, was the last slot (obviously) to 1350000, and its voltage to 70. As well as the "Max" value(s) of course.

Been using this set in Liberty GB 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, MIUI 1.85... & now in Apex 2.0 RC2. This setting has proven to be stable, fast and responsive for me.

I use quadrant to test the speed, and well, not much you can do to test everything else, but just use the phone.

I suppose those are my suggestions.

Good luck!