unlocked verizon droid maxx

miltk

Reaction score
if a maxx is "factory unlocked", does that mean there's no verizon bloatware?

i chatted with motorola. he said motorola doesn't sell unlocked droid maxx's, which i assumed to mean motorola doesn't unlock it's droid maxx. he said motorola builds the maxx's for verizon, which i also assumed to mean if they build the maxx for verizon then why would they unlocked them.

and if that's the case, what is a FACTORY unlock maxx, or is that just a bs lie?

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Factory unlocked means the phone will operate on another carrier besides Verizon.

OP
M

miltk

Reaction score
oh okay. so it doesn't mean unlocked at the factory, it means carrier unlocked? so if someone advertises NIB/factory unlocked, then they are making a false statement because it cannot be NIB if it's been tampered with?

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Every device on NewEgg comes opened. They do this to make sure they are not tampered with (though NewEgg warns you). Technically, at least IMO, it is still NIB. If they did not advertise they opened it to unlock it, you might ask why the seal was broken. Chances are it was purchased and unlocked, then resold.

OP
M

miltk

Reaction score
when a phone is unlocked NIB, does that mean there is no verizon bloatware?

doogald

Reaction score
Motorola did sell developer editions of the Maxx, which were not shipped unlocked but could be unlocked with a code from Motorola. Also, there have been periods when people were selling unlock codes for maxxes on PayPal that worked. So, if you're talking about a used device, it's possible it's unlocked.

An unlocked phone does not remove any bloatware. It just unlocks the bootloader.

OP
M

miltk

Reaction score
these are not bootloader unlocked, they are carrier unlocked