unlocked droid

ncvikingx97

Reaction score
I am looking to replace my iphone, and have some questions.

1. Can I buy a droid, and somehow make it trade places with my iphone? Can I hook the droid up on the same line, and take the iphone off?

2. Does my droid have to be unlocked to use it with just wifi, or can it be any droid. I noticed when I turned my droid 3 on, I had to enter the info, is there any way to by pass that?

louy99

Reaction score
I am looking to replace my iphone, and have some questions.

1. Can I buy a droid, and somehow make it trade places with my iphone? Can I hook the droid up on the same line, and take the iphone off?

2. Does my droid have to be unlocked to use it with just wifi, or can it be any droid. I noticed when I turned my droid 3 on, I had to enter the info, is there any way to by pass that?

If you turn off the iphone and dial *228 on the droid, you can activate it on your line. If you want to bypass the activation screen on the droid just touch the corners of screen starting from top left in clock wise.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
N

ncvikingx97

Reaction score
Explain please? I can just get a droid, and type in a number and take the iphone off and put the droid on

louy99

Reaction score
Yes, I do it all the time. I have a droid 1 and droid 2 I'm always bouncing back and forth from. If my D1 is active and I want to use the D2 for the day, I turn off the D1 first, turn on the D2 and hit the activate button or dial *228. Follow the promps and activate the phone. Takes about 30 seconds or so to switch

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
You can do the whole process online (assuming you are still on VZW). If you log into your account online you will see a tab that has "activate new device", or something similar, on it. Then once you click on that it is as easy as following the on-screen instructions. You do need to enter in the ID # for the phone and then as mentioned you will need to dial the *228 to activate it. But as I said it walks you through it.

OP
N

ncvikingx97

Reaction score
Thanks guys. So i can have rwo phones on the same line without pqying extra! Also, will my insurance take care of both? Thanks.

Beka27

Reaction score
Thanks guys. So i can have rwo phones on the same line without pqying extra! Also, will my insurance take care of both? Thanks.

Only one phone will be active at a time. You won't be able to place calls or receive texts using both phones. Just the one that is activated. So you're not going to have "two phones" for the price of one.

The insurance is tied to the line, not the device... generally. I'm not sure how the insurance works with the Iphone tho. Does it still require special insurance?

OP
N

ncvikingx97

Reaction score
Dont think so, considering i switched to the iphone while retaining my old droid contract. So verizon is okay with this?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
VZW has never had anything to say about me switching phones around on my line. I have done it quite a bit too because my gf and I like to check out new and different devices.

OP
N

ncvikingx97

Reaction score
Cool. So any phone will do? Does it hqve to be inlocked? Thanks.

STVA

Reaction score
CDMA (technology used by Verizon, Sprint and some small carriers) does not have "unlocked" phones. Each phone has a serial number (ESN). A carrier will only activate a phone that was sold for use with that particular carrier (this is a business decision rather than a technological reason). Locking/unlocking is for GSM phones (AT&T, T-Mobile).

You can activate any Verizon phone with your account, as long as it doesn't have a "bad ESN" (means it has been reported stolen or lost or damaged or the last owner owes Verizon money)

OP
N

ncvikingx97

Reaction score
How can i tell if the esn is clean? What do i do if it isnt?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you have the phone you can ask VZW to tell you if its clean. If you don't you have to trust the seller to be honest.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.