unlimited data ending? reseller told me so

goffredo

Reaction score
I am grandfathered into the $29.99 "Email & Web Unlimited" data plan right now and my VZW contract expired a few months ago, so I am month-to-month. I just learned that if I buy an unsubsidized phone; i.e., pay full retail price for it or buy it on eBay, I can maintain my 'unlimited' data. It seemed compelling, until I realized that Verizon can and will switch off unlimited data at some point. It would sure suck if they decided to ditch unlimited data the day after I pay full price for a phone just to keep my grandfathered unlimited plan!!

Then I read this:

unlimited will be gone June 28th 2014. That is when the last of the just renewed grandfathered unlimited contracts run out.

Thanks, this is really useful information. Are you able to cite a reference for it, for example on a Verizon webpage or press release? If this date is true, my fears are allayed, and paying full retail price for a phone to enjoy unlimited data is totally worth it since I know I'll get 20 months out of it, rather than "some unknown amount of time".