underclocking my moto droid

bentobox

Reaction score
I'm interested in underclocking my droid during the time I'm not used it. The rooting is easy but I'm reading that you need a special rom and kernel to do the overclocking is that the same for underclocking? Do I need a special kernel and rom or can I just root then download the setcpu. And do I need to do a nandroid backup if I'm not doing any rom switching?

Thanks for the help

johall07

Reaction score
I'm interested in underclocking my droid during the time I'm not used it. The rooting is easy but I'm reading that you need a special rom and kernel to do the overclocking is that the same for underclocking? Do I need a special kernel and rom or can I just root then download the setcpu. And do I need to do a nandroid backup if I'm not doing any rom switching?

Thanks for the help

i think you just need setcpu to underclock

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Thanks for the help

Some of the roms come with kernels with multiple clock speeds. for example, the one I'm using lets me clock as low as 250 and as high as 1100 with 3 speeds inbetween.
SetCPU, for a dollar in the market, lets you set one profile for charging, one for standby, one for in use, etc. So..while in use my phone is set for 400/1100, and while in standby it is set for 250/400. If someone uses their phone all day then the battery will go down faster than stock. If you have it on standby a lot your battery can last longer than stock.

The only reason for a nandroid backup is to get back to "something" if you mess something up. You can always go back to a stock phone, and start over from scratch.

Read the rom instruction guides for features. For example, link 2 in my signature outlines everything in Adamz rom, including clock speeds.

edit: a stock phone is set up for 250/550 for clock speeds.

OP
B

bentobox

Reaction score

Thanks for the help

Some of the roms come with kernels with multiple clock speeds. for example, the one I'm using lets me clock as low as 250 and as high as 1100 with 3 speeds inbetween.
SetCPU, for a dollar in the market, lets you set one profile for charging, one for standby, one for in use, etc. So..while in use my phone is set for 400/1100, and while in standby it is set for 250/400. If someone uses their phone all day then the battery will go down faster than stock. If you have it on standby a lot your battery can last longer than stock.

The only reason for a nandroid backup is to get back to "something" if you mess something up. You can always go back to a stock phone, and start over from scratch.

Read the rom instruction guides for features. For example, link 2 in my signature outlines everything in Adamz rom, including clock speeds.

Thank you that was helpful. So with just stock rooted how high can the clock speed go and how low. And yes I owuld only use the profiles to set it for idle when not in use down a lot so it will save my battery for later when I need it.

What's the max and min clock speed setcpu can change it to while just rooted. And is there no need for nandroid if all I'm doing is rooting and then dl set cpu. And when its at idle id just set in profiles to 250 and then don't change anything else?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thank you that was helpful. So with just stock rooted how high can the clock speed go and how low. And yes I owuld only use the profiles to set it for idle when not in use down a lot so it will save my battery for later when I need it.

What's the max and min clock speed setcpu can change it to while just rooted. And is there no need for nandroid if all I'm doing is rooting and then dl set cpu. And when its at idle id just set in profiles to 250 and then don't change anything else?

A stock rooted phone still can't get out of the fixed 250/550 setting. A new kernel is needed that allows for multiple speeds. You get a new kernel when you apply the rom of your choosing.

Read through the numbered steps in my first link below. Gaining root and getting sprecovery (lets you do nandroid backups) installed is an easy process.

The order of things you do is 1- root, 2 - sprecovery so you can install/recover/backup roms, 3 - backup your current rom, and 4 - apply a new rom. (I chose to follow the steps in link 2 of my sig)

If the instructions seem scary you can use droidmod.com to download dmupdater which will also get you rooted and install sprecovery. As always, tons of folks are here to help you along the way if need be too. Let us know what you do and how you make out.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

Thanks for the help

I believe you can clock from 250-600 without a new kernel, just rooted. If you get a setup you like its good to make a nandroid backup, for those "just in case" circumstances.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I believe you can clock from 250-600 without a new kernel, just rooted. If you get a setup you like its good to make a nandroid backup, for those "just in case" circumstances.

Bentobox, try this then: grab SetCPU from the market, you will need it anyways. Follow the 8 steps to get rooted. See if SetCPU will let you change the clock speed of the stock kernel. Let us know if you can or can not.

There also are directions within the first link below to get your phone unrooted and back to stock. If you go the droidmod route that app also will get you back to stock. You decide, and let us know if you need assistance.