Underclocking failure.

draexo

Reaction score
I stopped underclocking/undervolting my Ed Global and the battery last longer using stock governor and I do not get the lag I had. So...stock battery management is better? What gives?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How did you set up your under clocking. Did you try using Droid Overclock and then just pick a low votage kernel and under clock with it instead of overclock.

rusty815

Reaction score
you may have undervolted a it too much, i know that if i undervolt too much my phone gets all laggy and stops functioning properly

OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
I stopped underclocking/undervolting my Ed Global and the battery last longer using stock governor and I do not get the lag I had. So...stock battery management is better? What gives?

I tried them all...(Set CPU, Droid Overclock, and Quickclock).
I finally settled on QuickClock and set it for "Battery Saver"
Sometimes when I rebooted, Droid Overclock would not load. One day I noticed I had 80% battery at the end of my day... something that just does not happen. That is when I noticed Droid Overclock had not loaded on my previous reboot the night before. SO I started watching and messing around with it. Seems I get better battery life out of stock Froyo battery life. Makes no sense to me. It is a modest increase, but an increase non-the-less.
Any ideas? Could it be QuickClock is actually using more battery than it is saving?

OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
Not sure what is going on, but apparently I switched options and cause stock to work better than undervolting. I am going to mess with increasing voltage a little at a time.

OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
this is too much....battery is great!

Not sure what is going on, but apparently I switched options and cause stock to work better than undervolting. I am going to mess with increasing voltage a little at a time.

Again, it happened today.
QuickClock failed to load after boot. Battery at 90% after 13hrs.

Here is a picture when it finally dropped to 80%.

Notice the time - almost 15 hrs unplugged and I am at 80%. I was at 90% until sometime between 14hrs 30 minutes and the time I took this screen shot.

And this is a rooted stock D2Global with extended battery. I have never had battery life like this before. It is last much longer than it used to.
It always seems to be when QuickClock fails to load AND when I am at work.

I almost wonder if there is a new cell tower near my work and I am getting better signal and not transmitting on as much power. Could it be that? I've had this phone 2 months and never had such good battery life.

I am going to try some experiments and see what happens with underclocking vs stock.

rusty815

Reaction score
you dont seem to use your phone much if the screen is taking up that much battery :p

im a heavy user, i mean really heavy, on average the screen takes up like 60% of my battery because i use it so much, and i still manage to get 8-12 hours on a charge, that is with the standard battery. im sure if i use my phone a lot less then i can get a full day out of it.

OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
you dont seem to use your phone much if the screen is taking up that much battery :p

im a heavy user, i mean really heavy, on average the screen takes up like 60% of my battery because i use it so much, and i still manage to get 8-12 hours on a charge, that is with the standard battery. im sure if i use my phone a lot less then i can get a full day out of it.

I really think it has something to do with transmission power to get to the cell tower.
This is only happening at work.

tebower

Reaction score
I can't speak directly about what is happening with your phone, but I thought I would add my similar experience. I had SetCPU installed, and set up profiles for when the screen was off, the phone was charging, etc, to cut the processor down to 600mhz. My battery life sucked and the phone was laggy. So, I turned off the profiles, and uninstalled setcpu, and my battery life is much better. I didn't track it in any specific way, but this seems to have happened at the same time you were having your issues, which I found interesting. I have never changed voltages or what not, only clock speeds. My battery life is much better without underclocking.

OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
I can't speak directly about what is happening with your phone, but I thought I would add my similar experience. I had SetCPU installed, and set up profiles for when the screen was off, the phone was charging, etc, to cut the processor down to 600mhz. My battery life sucked and the phone was laggy. So, I turned off the profiles, and uninstalled setcpu, and my battery life is much better. I didn't track it in any specific way, but this seems to have happened at the same time you were having your issues, which I found interesting. I have never changed voltages or what not, only clock speeds. My battery life is much better without underclocking.

I am starting to think that the underclocking is a scam.

apollyon0810

Reaction score
Looks like you've just been sitting idle for 15 hours. Nothing definitive there. Just another post by draexo... if you've seen one you've seen em all.

apollyon0810

Reaction score
Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, you're just messing around with the factory clock steppings. Unless you have kernel access, you can't under- or over-volt. Hell, with a locked bootloader you cant even over clock. So why mess around with what the kernel will try to do normally?

All you're doing by underclocking it is throttling the speed back to one of the factory speed steppings. Voltage remains the same.

Last edited:

rusty815

Reaction score
Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, you're just messing around with the factory clock steppings. Unless you have kernel access, you can't under- or over-volt. Hell, with a locked bootloader you cant even over clock. So why mess around with what the kernel will try to do normally?

All you're doing by underclocking it is throttling the speed back to one of the factory speed steppings. Voltage remains the same.

exactly right, you cant change the clock settings or voltage unless you use the expirimental module that is in jrummy's droid overclock app, i use it to overclock to 1.35GHz and undervolt as well, saves battery life and makes it run faster.

leobg

Reaction score
rusty, what settings you use in jrummy's app? Anything I try regarding overclock in it reboots the phone.

rusty815

Reaction score
Well it depends on your system whether or not you can oc and how much, here's the custom settings I made:

300mhz, 15mhz
700mhz, 35mhz
1000mhz, 50mhz
1350mhz, 67mhz

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums