Unable to upgrade to 9.1.6

chetta

Reaction score
Alright so a little history.

Had SafeStrap installed this AM. Trying to check out some other new ROMs and found out that SafeStrap is discontinued and to utilize Unlocked Bootloader & TWRP.
I did all my app/sms/call backups then...
Deleted the ROMs I had and uninstalled SafeStrap. Reset my phone to factory.
My current Android Vs is 4.1.1.

When I try to update to 4.1.6, my update downloads fully but unable to install the update after repeated tries.
The phone reboots and Android Symbol with process bars appears but then a reboot and switch to recovery symbol. Then reboot and back to phone boot up and "unable to upgrade" notification appears.

I have tried to do a temp unroot but the same results occurred.

I believe I need to use RSDLite to return to stock firmware? I am unable to find a functioning download to the stock firmware though...

Any additional thoughts?

Thanks

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Stay on 4.1.1 is my opinion. The bootloader unlock works on 4.1.1 and the beauty of an unlocked bootloader is that that you can flash custom kernels via TWRP and are included in most, if not all custom ROMs. No need to upgrade the stock firmware. Not to mention any future OTA's (4.1.2 not included) will most likely bork the unlockability anyway.

If you INSIST on upgrading, then did you remove any bloat? And if you want to go straight to 4.1.2 use Matt's utility... Let me find a link.

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/16100-droid-razr-hd-utility-120-windowsmaclinux/

Last edited:
OP
C

chetta

Reaction score
Thanks for quick reply. I was having issues getting my bootloader unlocked when following instructions from http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ra...938-tool-easy-unlock-bootloader-komplete.html

As mentioned I removed all of SafeStrap as described in the instructions.

Turned on USB Debugging
Connected USB to PC ensuring drivers loaded
Run the run.bat in Recovery Flasher V3
Use option 1 for TWRP
Results are...
Connecting to your phone
Let's Do this
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
3615 KB/s (7606272 bytes in 2.054s)
Complete
Press any key to continue . . .

Phone reboots into recovery.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks again.

Stay on 4.1.1 is my opinion. The bootloader unlock works on 4.1.1 and the beauty of an unlocked bootloader is that that you can flash custom kernels via TWRP and are included in most, if not all custom ROMs. No need to upgrade the stock firmware. Not to mention any future OTA's (4.1.2 not included) will most likely bork the unlockability anyway.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Wait, you're trying to install a recovery BEFORE you unlocked the bootloader? Unlock first. The Motopocalypse zip.

WildKid

Reaction score
And you just voided your warranty because then there is no way to re-lock it and return it to stock firmware.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
That's clearly stated in the thread he is following. You can not relock it, but you can return to stock firmware whenever you want.