unable to update to 4.4

Anomander

Reaction score
I have gotten the notification to update to 4.4 an so far the update has failed 3 times. Each time it appears to download the file so I believe it is a new file and not a corrupt file. The phone will boot into the recovery and start the update. I would say it gets about 20ish% and then it says the "update has failed" and then it reboots. Luckily each time It goes back to 4.3 and all is well. Should I just call it good and stay on 4.3, or what do I need to do to make sure it is not applying the same download each time? Would I wipe the cache from the recovery mode to do that or is it another option?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
There have been reports of issues with the S4 update. You can either wait it out and allow Sammy/carriers to fix it or backup your data do a factory reset and see if the update come through clean.

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score
There have been reports of issues with the S4 update. You can either wait it out and allow Sammy/carriers to fix it or backup your data do a factory reset and see if the update come through clean.
It's strange how my friend's S4 updated with no problem and mine has issues. Mine is stock as was his. Oh well 4.3 has been pretty solid for me so no big deal if do not update. I am debating to go to edge and get the Note 4 when it comes out.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
You can also try the software update assistant on the PC! It will upgrade the firmware and software without a wipe and may fix your issues! ;)

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score
You can also try the software update assistant on the PC! It will upgrade the firmware and software without a wipe and may fix your issues! ;)
Where do you find the software for this? I find PDF files telling me how to do everything and one link that is 503 Forbidden, but no file to download and install.

Last edited:

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Where do you find the software for this? I find PDF files telling me how to do everything and one link that is 503 Forbidden, but no file to download and install.

The installer is on your phone. When you first plug it in it should ask you to install the software via USB.

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score
The installer is on your phone. When you first plug it in it should ask you to install the software via USB.
Doh! I kept setting my phone for a MTF so I could transfer files always ignoring that part. Thanks for the reminder!:blink:

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score
Ok, was able to update this morning via the Software update Assistant. No more annoying popup saying it is time to install. :D