Unable to Remove Skype

Cobraboy1997

Reaction score
Love the phone, zero problems until I received my invite to the official Skype beta.:reddroid:
I had been running an unofficial version that worked fine.

Searched forums and found a few suggestions, but none really worked.

Would appreciate suggestions on how to removed the old one so I can install the real beta.

Thanks,:)

lockman

Reaction score
Thanks go to Bastersero for this.

Steps To Install Swype Beta For SmokedGlass ROM Users and it seems to work for the ERROR message as well:

1. You will need Root Explorer and Astro

2. Go to the phone menu and go to Applications

3. Next, go to Manage applications and click the menu button on the phone

4. Choose Filter and then choose All

5. Uninstall everything in there that has Swype (even the beta installer for those that installed it already and didn't work)

6. After uninstalling Swype, open Astro

7. Click on Search for Astro and type the word "Swype" (without the parenthesis) in the search box

8. Next, click on the Show Advanced Options below the box

9. Click on the drop-down arrow to change which directory in which it will search

10. Choose "/" instead of the current "/sdcard/"

11. Put a check mark on the boxes "Include directory names" and "Search sub directories"

12. Now click on the magnifying glass icon to search

13. After a couple of seconds it will list all the directories where it has Swype files (remember all of those since you would want to delete all of those files)

14. Now, open Root Explorer (I suggest Root Explorer because you can mount and unmount from there) and go to each directory that lists all the Swype files that you need to delete (the ones you found from Astro)

15. After you have deleted everything, reboot your Droid

16. Once rebooted, open your browser and go to your e-mail that you used to sign up for the beta (I just used the stock browser)

17. Click on the link to download the Swype-Installer.apk and install it

18. After it says it's done installing, on the bottom choose Open

19. After opening it, it will prompt you to enter the e-mail and password you chose when you signed up for the beta, so sign in

20. After signing in, it should automatically download the Swype.apk file and install it also

21. After installing that, Enable it so you can use Swype, but reboot first just to make sure no other problems occur after it's done installing

This is something I copied from the swype forum:
"Configured with another Device" Error

A post from a senior engineer at swype:

Hi, I'm the Senor QA Engineer at Swype. Our records show that there was some technical difficulty for some users when installing Swype. We have since uploaded a new version of the installer and the Swype keyboard. Please delete both from your phone and try installing again from the site. If you continue to have problems, please let us know and we will attempt to correct any problems during our regular business hours on Monday.

mudpro69

Reaction score
Much Easier....

Here you go guys. No need to search with Astro or delete Swype Installer.

1. Install Android Mate (Free Version)
2. DRPro – Mount Phone
3. Android Mate >
3a. File Explorer
3b. /system/app/Swype.apk (long press delete)
3c. /system/lib/libSwypeCore.so (long press delete)
4. DRPro – Unmount Phone (reboot)
5. Follow instruction for Swype Installer

OP
Cobraboy1997

Cobraboy1997

Reaction score
Thanks so much! Works great and the instructions were well written and easy to follow.

Appreciate the quick response:)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
A post from a senior engineer at swype:

Hi, I'm the Senor QA Engineer at Swype. Our records show that there was some technical difficulty for some users when installing Swype. We have since uploaded a new version of the installer and the Swype keyboard. Please delete both from your phone and try installing again from the site. If you continue to have problems, please let us know and we will attempt to correct any problems during our regular business hours on Monday.

fyi..after doing this I am running Swype version 5652 as indicated inside Setting/Applications/ Manage Applications/Swype and my problems appear to have gone away

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Neither one worked for me. First method would not let me from manage applications. Second method would say it successfully deleted, but then still shows in the list and actually was not uninstalled.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Neither one worked for me. First method would not let me from manage applications. Second method would say it successfully deleted, but then still shows in the list and actually was not uninstalled.

Root Explorer (a paid app) is what I used. Used Astro to search all folders for skype. Every single instance I renamed by adding a .bak to the end but deleting them will work too. It should no longer be installed on the phone. Make sure you do the same to your leaked version if you have that on the card still too...which the astro search should have discovered. double check settings/apps/app mgr/swype to make sure it isn't there. Get rid of the beta installer too. Revisit the email and download again.