Ultimate Samsung Galaxy S4 Torture Test Double-Header!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;cIkUlsNoI2g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cIkUlsNoI2g[/video]​

We must forewarn you guys... the above video is not for the feint of heart. If you are at all squeamish about seeing a gorgeous Samsung Galaxy S4 utterly destroyed, then you may want to avert your eyes. Otherwise have a peek at the video which is a little bit informative, but mostly just "all in good fun."

Sadly, we also have a new report which indicates more bad news. Apparently, the new SGS4 performs poorly in drop tests (like in the videos you can see here), and actually fares worse than the SGS3 in total break-ability. Here's a quote with the results of the report,

SquareTrade’s Breakability Score Debuts as New Richter Scale for Device Danger – New Samsung S4 Rated a Dangerous 7

New Scorecard Fills Gap Left By Traditional Product Reviews and Calculates Danger in Everyday Situations

SAN FRANCISCO, April 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ – SquareTrade®, the top-rated protection plan trusted by millions of happy customers, today announced its Breakability Score™ for the new Samsung Galaxy S®4. The SquareTrade Breakability Score ranks today’s top devices based on how prone they are to break due to accidents. Evaluating key elements such as front and back panel design, edge construction and materials, size, weight, friction quotient, water resistance and grip-ability, SquareTrade’s Breakability Score fills in the missing gap left by traditional device reviews: it tests devices in everyday danger situations brought on by our lifestyles and habits.

“Our Breakability Score creates a new Richter Scale for accidental damage to help consumers assess when, where and how their phones are in danger,” said Ty Shay , CMO at SquareTrade. “It’s been two years since we created the first Drop Test video for the industry and we thought it was time to expand the concept.”

The SquareTrade Breakability Score is based on a number of factors, from physical characteristics to the results of our SquareTrade Drop Test. The higher a device scores on a scale from 1-10, the higher the risk of it breaking due to an accident.

Comparing the Samsung Galaxy S4 to the S3 and Apple’s iPhone®5, the iPhone 5 was the clear winner. SquareTrade’s Breakability Score revealed the following:

While the S4 proved slightly more water resistant than its predecessor the S3, Samsung’s new Galaxy phone actually performed worse in most other categories. Major strikes against the S4 include high breakability during SquareTrade Drop Tests, a slippery back panel, and a wider screen that reduces grip-ability, especially compared to the ultra-slim iPhone 5. Breakability Score: 7
While the Samsung S3 screen is more durable, it is less water resistant than the S4 and its plastic back and wide width decreases its grip-ability. Breakability score: 6.5
The iPhone 5 scored the highest of the three phones tested. While it lost points for its larger size due to more breakable surface area, its excellent grip-ability and low friction coefficient make it far more durable overall. Breakability Score: 5

“Our research and experience shows that even the smallest device characteristics can dramatically affect its breakability: the weight balance of a device can affect the way it spins in free-fall, making it more likely to land on its screen; devices with rubber backs are less likely to slide, and device dimensions can effect how snugly smartphones fit in pant and jeans pockets,” continued Shay. “The likelihood of damage due to these common scenarios has never been higher.”

Apparently, the SGS4 is not very resistant to being dropped, and unsurprisingly offers no resistance whatsoever to a .50 caliber rifle shot. Gee... who knew? :rolleyes:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Sometimes I wouldn't mind doing that to my phone. I like my phone, use it often but at times I feel like I would be better off without it and just want to put one right through it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That was pretty cool, but man what a waste of an s4

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
You can have the phone, I want the gun...it won. I have a Barrett 98B, which is a fantastic gun, but a 50 cal., even better. The problem with both guns is that you don't shoot bullets, you shoot five dollar bills. Way expensive ammo.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
You can have the phone, I want the gun...it won. I have a Barrett 98B, which is a fantastic gun, but a 50 cal., even better. The problem with both guns is that you don't shoot bullets, you shoot five dollar bills. Way expensive ammo.

I have a handgun that's rounds are about $2 per shot.. that's bad enough!

Bowtie

Reaction score

I am right there with you, have a Savage 110BA and 111 LRH, both in .338 Lapua Magnum. Learning to reload so the cost goes down to $2.50 a round.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I am right there with you, have a Savage 110BA and 111 LRH, both in .338 Lapua Magnum. Learning to reload so the cost goes down to $2.50 a round.

I've never gotten into re-loading, but I'm going to have to if I want to keep shooting. $2.50 a round would be almost reasonable. I love that .338 chambering.

Djiolira

Reaction score
Also The first catch of the Galaxy S4 wireless charging is the fact that it needs a special back plate to work. Unlike the Droid DNA and Nexus 4 which feature built-in wireless charging, the Galaxy S4 will need to use a back plate, sold separately, in order to charge without wires. That means extra money for consumers.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Re: Topic. Won't stand up to a .50 cal? POS PHONE>

Huh? /Confused. "Learning to reload"...
So, what... you just buy a loaded gun, shoot it. Buy another loaded gun?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Re: Topic. Won't stand up to a .50 cal? POS PHONE>

Huh? /Confused. "Learning to reload"...
So, what... you just buy a loaded gun, shoot it. Buy another loaded gun?

As in learning to re use the spent ammunition by re loading the cartridge at home with your own bullets and powder

---
I hate jelly beans, Google's jellybean is alright though.

Sent from my sickeningly sweet Galaxy Note II