UK Airlines Follow in TSA's Footsteps Banning Uncharged Electronic Devices From Flights

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flights-to-the-UK.jpg

As we reported previously, the TSA in the United States is now requiring all passengers traveling into the U.S. from international destinations to power on their smartphones and tablets before being allowed to board their flights. This is an effort to thwart potential terrorist activity by hiding a bomb in a smartphone.

By requiring passengers to turn on and show the device functioning it basically proves (for the most part) that it isn't a bomb. Of course, this means passengers need to have the forethought to charge their devices ahead of time. Effectively, this bans uncharged devices from flights. It now looks like airlines in the UK are following the TSA lead as they have begun instituting the policy as well.

Here's a quote with the details,

A Department for Transport spokesperson said:

The UK government keeps aviation security under constant review in conjunction with international partners and the aviation industry.

On 2 July we announced we were stepping up some of our aviation security measures. In line with the US advice, passengers on some routes into and out of the UK may now also be required to show that electronic devices in their hand luggage are powered up or face not being allowed to bring the device onto the aircraft. Passengers flying into or out of the UK are therefore advised to make sure electronic devices being carried in their hand luggage are charged before they travel.

For obvious reason we will not be commenting in detail on the routes affected. We will work with the aviation industry to minimise disruption as far as possible.

The UK has some of the most robust aviation security measures in the world and we will continue to take all the steps necessary to ensure that public safety is maintained.

Consider yourselves officially informed. :)

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/aviation-security-update

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Kind of wondering about the fine print here...what if your device dies, because you dutifully arrived at the airport hours early, but ALL the charging ports and outlets were taken? I'm guessing TSA or whoever will provide the means for a quick-charge? Seems like a good plan for lots of angry passengers. :eek:

-Matt

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Kind of wondering about the fine print here...what if your device dies, because you dutifully arrived at the airport hours early, but ALL the charging ports and outlets were taken? I'm guessing TSA or whoever will provide the means for a quick-charge? Seems like a good plan for lots of angry passengers. :eek:

-Matt

Except this is TSA we are talking about. You know the same TSA that seems to some how let an undercover reporter slip through with all kinds of weapons but man handles a 70 year old or infant because they are trying to keep us safe. I am sure if you happen to have your phone die they are not going to look at it like you were waiting at the airport for hours they are going gong ho on you in the back treating you like you had ill intentions.

Reactions: cr6

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
As someone who has traveled the world frequently for the last 27 years and seen all kind of crazy security rules at some strange airports, this is not a big deal. Charge your phone before you go through security and no big deal. If it dies in the terminal (after you have passed through security)...no big deal. When I am in a plane on a long overseas flight I want to feel safe..first and foremost. Comfort comes second...making it home safely to my family is the #1 priority. Personally... would gladly walk through the security checkpoint in my underwear with my phone turned on if it means that the flight is safe! Obviously there is good intel which has triggered these decisions. It's sad that this is the world we live in...but it is what it is. That's just my 2 cents...which is not much! :D

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As someone who has traveled the world frequently for the last 27 years and seen all kind of crazy security rules at some strange airports, this is not a big deal. Charge your phone before you go through security and no big deal. If it dies in the terminal (after you have passed through security)...no big deal. When I am in a plane on a long overseas flight I want to feel safe..first and foremost. Comfort comes second...making it home safely to my family is the #1 priority. Personally... would gladly walk through the security checkpoint in my underwear with my phone turned on if it means that the flight is safe! Obviously there is good intel which has triggered these decisions. It's sad that this is the world we live in...but it is what it is. That's just my 2 cents...which is not much! :D

Agree first and foremost I am all about being safe. I have nothing to hide and most of the time I am all set ready to go when I get to the front of the security line. I do not think any one here would give the TSA a hard way to go when it come to rules established for safety.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2