Ubuntu/linux

swagmonster

Reaction score
Total noob want to try it out....use it on a disk or just run it on my harddrive versions to use and all that jaz thanx in advance

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
What's your question?

You can download ubuntu and create a CD, and test drive it off that if you wish on any PC / Laptop without even actually installing it.

OP
swagmonster

swagmonster

Reaction score
My question is what is some of the general things I'm going to need to know such as is it massivly different than windows

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
just play around with it. ubuntu is pretty user friendly so just take the time to get acclimated to it

OP
swagmonster

swagmonster

Reaction score
If I don't use a cd and just my laptop can I switch back and forth between windows and ubuntu

boostedhonda

Reaction score
If I don't use a cd and just my laptop can I switch back and forth between windows and ubuntu

Yeah u can partion your hard drive and dual boot.

Sent From My Gingerbread Droid 1

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
I am not a U fan , try Fedora (Red Hat) or Mint (although Mint is based off Ubuntu , it is a better Ubuntu) , openSUSE is a great distro but slightly harder than the others (Slackware derivative) , Slackware is good as well , or Debian proper which are the more geek of the distros , but two of the oldest distros still around . Go to http://www.distrowatch.com lots of different distros there .
Ubuntu has not been around that long and has some bad habits it teaches , it is not the easiest as it claims but has good Community Support (makes me ask if it the best then why does it have so many problems ?) .

Ubuntu the Microsoft and iPhone of Linux .

My $.02

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
My question is what is some of the general things I'm going to need to know such as is it massivly different than windows

For Ubuntu , .deb is like a .exe of Winders , a RPM distro the .rpm is like a .exe of Winders , a TAR .tar extension is like a zip in Winders .
Repositories are list of software , shell or terminal is like command prompt in Winders .
Software management is used to install software , usually most drivers are already in the distro , don't have to defrag , no restarts on software install usually .

h4ck3d

Reaction score
Slackware, ubuntu, debian, all pretyy easy

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

mewshi

Reaction score
If you're really unsure about trying ubuntu, I highly recommend installing using the WUBI installer. Basically, its just a nice little program for windows that makes a fully functional ubuntu system within your windows drive.

Pros of WUBI:
-easier to install (but not terribly much)
-easier to uninstall if you don't like it (you can uninstall it just like you would a windows program)

Cons of WUBI:
-slightly slower (probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-15% slower, depending on your machine)

OP
swagmonster

swagmonster

Reaction score
Basicly everything u said was anient greek im pretty handy with windows but want to expand like i said total Ub nub

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
Slackware, ubuntu, debian, all pretyy easy

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
Agree , there are to me as well .
Where most Winders users get stumped is outside the repository installs , a sh or tar.gz can throw someone not use to the method .

bookie

Reaction score
I just wiped out windows and installed Ubuntu a couple weeks ago. Loving it. Take that Bill Gates!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
swagmonster

swagmonster

Reaction score
So which is the best/easiest OS, how do I partion my HD after I partition can I unpartion and can I delete my secondary OS if I don't like it?

mewshi

Reaction score
Any linux install that installs any version of GRUB will be a pain in the you know what to remove, as removing the linux partition will make your machine unable to load ANY operating without doing a LOT of work. Hence my recommendation for WUBI for a curious user, as it merely edits the Windows bootloader so that you can choose between OSs. Very simple to get rid of, if you feel the need.

If you don't want WUBI, I recommend trying several different LiveCDs to see which system suits you best.

I can personally recommend:
Ubuntu, Mint, Gentoo (for later on in your linux "career", as installing Gentoo is (or, at least, was; haven't used it in about 2.5 years....) a GREAT way to learn about how Linux works "under the hood"), Sabayon (a relatively new distro based on Gentoo but much easier to install and maintain (my friend, who is fairly computer literate but by no means a whiz kid with them, could install Sabayon with very little guidance from me, aside from a few explanations of what things were)), and Arch (again, avoid until you're more experienced).

Honestly, I would try to avoid any RPM-based distro; this includes Fedora, CentOS, RHEL, and a few others that aren't coming straight to mind. The notion of "RPM hell" has been mostly fixed, but you will still encounter it. Plus, debian-based distros have more packages now thanks to ubuntu.