Trying to understand memory and where to save what

kdkrone

Reaction score
I recently have begun to set up my new X2. Yesterday, folks were quite helpful.

Today, I wanted to add some music. I had been successful yesterday adding ringtones by just adding a folder that said "ringtones" and the OS found it just fine. What I noticed when I explored the file structure in Windows explorer was that there were not one, but two new entries after attaching my phone: K drive and L drive, each of which has memory of about 4.3 GB. K drive seems to have the system files and L drive only has a DCIM directory for images. There is also an entry for MOT H: drive,which has 8GB but which is listed as all memory utilized.

I made a "my_music" (no quotes) directory, dragged a few albums to the K drive, and the phone OS found them just fine.

My question is about how the memory is allocated. I am assuming that the internal memory is not accessible (I am sure someone has devised an app to look inside and play with it, as presumably this is the entire OS (Linux?), and that what IS accessible is the 8 GB SD memory card, which is split in half.

1, why is the SD micro memory split into two parts of 4.3 GB each?

2, does it matter which of the two I put my music in?

3, am I making a mistake in just dragging my music over or should I be using some installing program?

4, is there room on the internal memory that can be utilizes if I use an app to access it?

5, can I use a larger SD micro chip, and, if so, how should it be formatted? (partition size, number of virtual partitions,-- does it matter?)

Thanks
KK

Last edited:

vvildcard

Reaction score
Actually, it sounds like K: is your system drive and L: is the internal memory partition. The H: drive should be your SD Card.

1. They partition the internal storage (8 GB) into two parts, one for the system files and one for app storage.

2. Nope. I would recommend the L: if you want it on the internal storage, or on the SD Card if you have enough music to fill up the internal storage.

3. There's no program/app to install. Drag and drop is just fine.

4. My answers to the other questions should be enough to answer this.

OP
K

kdkrone

Reaction score
Thanks. Sounds like the 8GB SD card needs to be formatted, then, before first use? FAT32 like the internal memory?

KK

OP
K

kdkrone

Reaction score
See below the <<<<<<<<<< and >>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<<<HOLD THE PHONE (so to speak....)

To check what memory is which, I removed the 8GB SD card.

Here is what I get:

K drive: 4.3 GB. Has a file structure with folders like Android, .android-secure, aloqa, LOST.DIR.

L: drive: now says Removable disk and when I click on it, it says "Insert a disk..."

MOT H: drive: says it is 8.3 MB (not GB) and contains a program called MotoHelper drivers... Not sure what that is for...

So, now I am confused...

The K drive is the internal memory, but only listed at 4.3 GB (does that sound correct)

The L drive is the 8GB SD micro memory card, but was only listed as 4.3GB available. Any idea what happened to the other 4.0GB to make the 8.3GB that it should be?>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OK, after I posted the above, I finally figured out that the SD card needed to be formatted, so I did that and now all is recognized.

The only question remaining is this:

The non-removable drive memory is listed as 4.3GB? is that what it should be?
(The removable memory SD card is listed as 7.3GB, which is just fine)

Thanks
KK

Last edited:

vvildcard

Reaction score
Yes, that sounds right. The internal is split in two... like 3.5 GB for the OS and 4.5 GB for internal storage... formatting always uses some of the partition for the indexes, etc. so you end up with 4.3 when it's all said and done. Those numbers match what I get when I browse the phone from my PC.

The L: drive, or whatever one comes up as the Removable Disk is your OS partition. It's probably not formatted in FAT or NTFS, so Windows doesn't know how to read it.

Last edited: