Trouble flashing ROMs

pastorfish

Reaction score
Hi all...

I'm going to go ahead and start a new thread for this rather than keep on elsewhere where I started.

I'm trying to get set up to flash a new rom to my phone. I've had my phone unlocked for some time but wasn't ready to do anything more than root it. I'm still S-on, and I used Sottys noob friendly guide to get to where I am. However, I did it all on another computer. I'm now working on a windows 8 laptop and I'm having a horrible time. I've downloaded mini-adb and set up the folder as instructed. I've loaded HTC sync on my computer to get the drivers (the modified drivers referenced in the guide were incompatible with windows 8 apparently) and my phone will mount as a disk drive just fine, but neither HTC sync or adb will recognize my phone as being attached. So I'm stuck and don't know what to do from here. I also have twrp recovery on my phone via goomanager (thanks again acejavelin). Anyone have any help to offer? I think once I get the phone connected and recognized I will be able to get the rest (fingers crossed).

acejavelin

Reaction score
Hi all...

I'm going to go ahead and start a new thread for this rather than keep on elsewhere where I started.

I'm trying to get set up to flash a new rom to my phone. I've had my phone unlocked for some time but wasn't ready to do anything more than root it. I'm still S-on, and I used Sottys noob friendly guide to get to where I am. However, I did it all on another computer. I'm now working on a windows 8 laptop and I'm having a horrible time. I've downloaded mini-adb and set up the folder as instructed. I've loaded HTC sync on my computer to get the drivers (the modified drivers referenced in the guide were incompatible with windows 8 apparently) and my phone will mount as a disk drive just fine, but neither HTC sync or adb will recognize my phone as being attached. So I'm stuck and don't know what to do from here. I also have twrp recovery on my phone via goomanager (thanks again acejavelin). Anyone have any help to offer? I think once I get the phone connected and recognized I will be able to get the rest (fingers crossed).
You need these drivers: HTC Support - HTC Sync | HTC United States

acejavelin

Reaction score
Thanks ace. But I already went to that page and downloaded the file. It's still not working. I'm wondering if there is an issue with my phone somehow?
Perhaps, although I have never seen that happen if other USB services work... but you need to do some things the right way...

Run the installer as an Administrator and with the phone disconnected, once it is done, connect it and make sure it is recognized... If it is not recognized go into device manager and right click on the Unknown, errored, or My HTC device and Update the drive and allow it to autoselect the best one. Then make sure USB Debugging is enabled and disconnect and reconnect and make sure it is seen in adb (use adb devices command, it should return the serial number of the phone if connected properly). Once that is done and working, issue the command 'adb reboot bootloader' and the phone should reboot into hboot, select Fastboot (it will show FASTBOOT USB in a red bar on the phone) and the phone should then be recognized and install the drivers for Fastboot (they are different then the regular drivers), if not, repeat the procedure in Device manager above, although it might be called Android 1.0, Android Composite device or something similar, once it is properly installed it should be called My HTC as well.

Also note you need to open the command window with Administrator privelages, type cmd in windows then right click and select Run as Administrator.

Once that is done, disconnect the phone, uninstall HTC Sync (this will NOT remove the drivers, Fastboot will not work if HTC Sync is running) and reconnect the phone in Fastboot mode and type "fastboot devices" to make sure it is seen. Once you get to this point you should be in good shape to flash any recovery or ROM out there.

OP
P

pastorfish

Reaction score
Perhaps, although I have never seen that happen if other USB services work... but you need to do some things the right way...

Run the installer as an Administrator and with the phone disconnected, once it is done, connect it and make sure it is recognized... If it is not recognized go into device manager and right click on the Unknown, errored, or My HTC device and Update the drive and allow it to autoselect the best one. Then make sure USB Debugging is enabled and disconnect and reconnect and make sure it is seen in adb (use adb devices command, it should return the serial number of the phone if connected properly). Once that is done and working, issue the command 'adb reboot bootloader' and the phone should reboot into hboot, select Fastboot (it will show FASTBOOT USB in a red bar on the phone) and the phone should then be recognized and install the drivers for Fastboot (they are different then the regular drivers), if not, repeat the procedure in Device manager above, although it might be called Android 1.0, Android Composite device or something similar, once it is properly installed it should be called My HTC as well.

Also note you need to open the command window with Administrator privelages, type cmd in windows then right click and select Run as Administrator.

Once that is done, disconnect the phone, uninstall HTC Sync (this will NOT remove the drivers, Fastboot will not work if HTC Sync is running) and reconnect the phone in Fastboot mode and type "fastboot devices" to make sure it is seen. Once you get to this point you should be in good shape to flash any recovery or ROM out there.

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home from work and let you know how it goes.

OP
P

pastorfish

Reaction score

Well, I've tried this and haven't even gotten past the first part. I ran installer as admin w/phone disconnected. Then I connected the phone via usb (usb debugging was turned on) and the phone was set to htc sync connection. The phone winds up telling me it can't find htc sync on the computer. I then went to the device manager and tried to update the driver (it was listed as android device) but when it was done searching it just told me that it couldn't find anything. I also tried running adb device from an admin command prompt to no avail. For what it's worth, in "Programs and Features" I find IPTInstaller, HTC BMP USB driver and HTC Driver Installer, all from HTC.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Well, I've tried this and haven't even gotten past the first part. I ran installer as admin w/phone disconnected. Then I connected the phone via usb (usb debugging was turned on) and the phone was set to htc sync connection. The phone winds up telling me it can't find htc sync on the computer. I then went to the device manager and tried to update the driver (it was listed as android device) but when it was done searching it just told me that it couldn't find anything. I also tried running adb device from an admin command prompt to no avail. For what it's worth, in "Programs and Features" I find IPTInstaller, HTC BMP USB driver and HTC Driver Installer, all from HTC.
Well, I do not have a Windows 8 machine anymore, my sons laptop had it and we had nothing but problems and we moved it back to Windows 7 so any further troubleshooting I can't really help with but this is definitely a driver issue. I don't like to point people to other forums, but I would suggest going over to XDA and the Rezound forums and send a PM to REV3NT3CH, he has helped many people with Win 8 issues. Don't be scared of XDA in the Rezound area, I know XDA gets a bad wrap sometimes but the Rezound community there is amazing.

jrredho

Reaction score
pastorfish, like you, I've had a heck of a time getting computers running various flavors of linux and Windows to recognize my Rezound. It's extremely frustrating. The last time I went through this, I found this [TOOL] [10.17.13] WinDroid HTC Rezound Toolkit v2.1 | Unlock | Root | Flash | S-OFF | - xda-developers all-in-one tool for many HTC phones. One task it does is to download the latest drivers and version of adb and fastboot. Once it did, I was able once more to see my Rezzy on Windows. The tool looks pretty useful besides. Give it a try if you're running out of options.

Good luck,
john

OP
P

pastorfish

Reaction score
Well, I do not have a Windows 8 machine anymore, my sons laptop had it and we had nothing but problems and we moved it back to Windows 7 so any further troubleshooting I can't really help with but this is definitely a driver issue. I don't like to point people to other forums, but I would suggest going over to XDA and the Rezound forums and send a PM to REV3NT3CH, he has helped many people with Win 8 issues. Don't be scared of XDA in the Rezound area, I know XDA gets a bad wrap sometimes but the Rezound community there is amazing.

So I sent a PM to REV3NT3CH over on XDA. But until I hear back I've just pulled out my old xp laptop. I'm all the way through what you said, and I just finished going back over scottys guide. I have a few questions though.

Do I (in your opinion) want to fastboot boot twrp into memory or just leave it as it was flashed from goomanager?

If I do that, can I then just go into recovery and flash the rom from there from the goomanager folder on my phone?

What is the actual procedure for flashing the ROM? I stick the zip file into the mini-adb_vigor folder and then what? I'm not seeing that info over there.

OP
P

pastorfish

Reaction score
pastorfish, like you, I've had a heck of a time getting computers running various flavors of linux and Windows to recognize my Rezound. It's extremely frustrating. The last time I went through this, I found this [TOOL] [10.17.13] WinDroid HTC Rezound Toolkit v2.1 | Unlock | Root | Flash | S-OFF | - xda-developers all-in-one tool for many HTC phones. One task it does is to download the latest drivers and version of adb and fastboot. Once it did, I was able once more to see my Rezzy on Windows. The tool looks pretty useful besides. Give it a try if you're running out of options.

Good luck,
john

Hey, thanks John. I'll definitely check that out. I'm working on my old xp laptop right now, but I would really prefer to be able to do everything on my new machine.

acejavelin

Reaction score
So I sent a PM to REV3NT3CH over on XDA. But until I hear back I've just pulled out my old xp laptop. I'm all the way through what you said, and I just finished going back over scottys guide. I have a few questions though.

Do I (in your opinion) want to fastboot boot twrp into memory or just leave it as it was flashed from goomanager?

If I do that, can I then just go into recovery and flash the rom from there from the goomanager folder on my phone?

What is the actual procedure for flashing the ROM? I stick the zip file into the mini-adb_vigor folder and then what? I'm not seeing that info over there.

There is very little advantage to flashing Recovery when S-On since the boot image needs to be flashed manually anyway.

To flash a ROM you need the ZIP on a directory on you phone AND the boot.img file in your fastboot directory. Boot TWRP wipe everything except External Sd twice, and install the ZIP (and Gapps if required) from TWRP. After that reboot into bootloader and start fast boot and from your PC use 'fastboot flash boot boot.img' then reboot and your good to go. Remember first boot on most Roms will likely seem to take forever, so just be patient.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

OP
P

pastorfish

Reaction score
There is very little advantage to flashing Recovery when S-On since the boot image needs to be flashed manually anyway.

To flash a ROM you need the ZIP on a directory on you phone AND the boot.img file in your fastboot directory. Boot TWRP wipe everything except External Sd twice, and install the ZIP (and Gapps if required) from TWRP. After that reboot into bootloader and start fast boot and from your PC use 'fastboot flash boot boot.img' then reboot and your good to go. Remember first boot on most Roms will likely seem to take forever, so just be patient.

OK, so that I'm clear. I have the ROM and Gapp ZIPs in the goomanager folder on my phone.
I also have those zips on my desktop. Do I just need to extract the rom and gap zips into my "mini-adb_vigor" (I have it set up exactly the way scottys guide said to) folder? Or do I need to create a fastboot folder in "mini-adb_vigor"?

acejavelin

Reaction score
OK, so that I'm clear. I have the ROM and Gapp ZIPs in the goomanager folder on my phone.
I also have those zips on my desktop. Do I just need to extract the rom and gap zips into my "mini-adb_vigor" (I have it set up exactly the way scottys guide said to) folder? Or do I need to create a fastboot folder in "mini-adb_vigor"?

The only file you need from the ZIP file in your adb directory is boot.img from the ROM zip file, the zips themselves are flashed through TWRP, only the boot image is pushed via fastboot.

OP
P

pastorfish

Reaction score

Good luck,
john

Hey, I just tried the WinDroid toolkit and it worked great! I'm now seeing the phone on the command prompt on my Win8 machine. Thanks so much for that info John.

OP
P

pastorfish

Reaction score
Well... I got the rom flashed. But I have a serious problem still... I've flashed both cm9 and cm10 from flyhalf and in both versions I keep getting a pop-up that says the android keyboard has stopped. As a result I can't log into anything. Anybody know about this? Is there some other version of cm that would be better to start with?