Trouble flashing ROMs

acejavelin

Reaction score
Well... I got the rom flashed. But I have a serious problem still... I've flashed both cm9 and cm10 from flyhalf and in both versions I keep getting a pop-up that says the android keyboard has stopped. As a result I can't log into anything. Anybody know about this? Is there some other version of cm that would be better to start with?

Use Tachyon, LiquidSmooth 2.37, or Talon as a starter ROM. Tachyon has Gapps baked in, Dont flash them separately (Talon may as well, can't remember)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

OP
P

pastorfish

Reaction score
Use Tachyon, LiquidSmooth 2.37, or Talon as a starter ROM. Tachyon has Gapps baked in, Dont flash them separately (Talon may as well, can't remember)

So here's another question I've had for some time (actually, it's the reason I haven't flashed a new rom till now). Where does one find these different ROMs typically? I've been worried about getting something that will screw up my phone cause its not legit. I've found tachyon and liquidsmooth over at xda. But how do I know which one is for the rezound? It doesn't seem to say.

OP
P

pastorfish

Reaction score

OK, well, no sooner did I hit send than I figured out the answer for liquidsmooth - its the one that says vigor, duh. But what about tachyon? is that one only for rezound? Cause it still doesn't seem to indicate.

acejavelin

Reaction score
So here's another question I've had for some time (actually, it's the reason I haven't flashed a new rom till now). Where does one find these different ROMs typically? I've been worried about getting something that will screw up my phone cause its not legit. I've found tachyon and liquidsmooth over at xda. But how do I know which one is for the rezound? It doesn't seem to say.
90% of all Rezound development is on XDA these days, if you are in the Rezound original development or development forums sections all you will find there are Rezound Roms, always read the first 3-5 posts of any ROM thread to make sure its for the Rezound, or vigor, which is its technical model name

acejavelin

Reaction score
OK, well, no sooner did I hit send than I figured out the answer for liquidsmooth - its the one that says vigor, duh. But what about tachyon? is that one only for rezound? Cause it still doesn't seem to indicate.

Lol... Tachyon is only for the Rezound and it was developed strictly for it, based on Cyanogenmod.

jrredho

Reaction score
pastorfish, not to take anything away from the excellent advice you're getting from ace, but I'll add a couple of points.

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend you take a look at this post by Scotty85 s-on and want to flash roms? READ THIS - Android Forums. It contains some of the details on why being S-On impacts the ROM flashing process. Also in that post, he describes an alternative to having to strip the boot.img file out of the ROM zipfile and flashing it separately via fastboot. I think it makes things simpler.

Also, once you've flashed your alternative ROM and let it finish, it's almost always a good idea to shut your phone down and re-boot first before deciding that things didn't go well. Sometimes it takes a second boot to set all the ducks in a row. Note, though, that if you re-boot it from the off state, you'll go back to the stock recovery and would have to re-boot your alternative if you wanted to do something like a nandroid backup, etc.

Good luck,
john

acejavelin

Reaction score
Here are a few more tips, since we seem to be at that point now...

Always backup through recovery before making changes or flashing anything, and get the backup off the sd card... Sometimes things can happen that require wiping of the sd card. Also there is no RUU of the current ROM, so it can be difficult to get back to stock without it if needed.

Being S-ON makes it almost impossible to hard brick the phone, but still be cautious, because its easy to soft brick it. As long as you can get into hboot (bootloader) almost any "brick" situation is recoverable with some work so Dont get too scared.

And lastly, if you boot recovery with fastboot, rather than starting it via bootloader on the phone, the boot partition is writable so you do not have to flash the boot image separately... This can be real time saver.

OP
P

pastorfish

Reaction score
Lol... Tachyon is only for the Rezound and it was developed strictly for it, based on Cyanogenmod.

Should I use Ion, or one of the other builds (1.1.5, 1.2)? Your opinion? btw, what do you run on yours?

OP
P

pastorfish

Reaction score
Here are a few more tips, since we seem to be at that point now...

Always backup through recovery before making changes or flashing anything, and get the backup off the sd card... Sometimes things can happen that require wiping of the sd card. Also there is no RUU of the current ROM, so it can be difficult to get back to stock without it if needed.

Being S-ON makes it almost impossible to hard brick the phone, but still be cautious, because its easy to soft brick it. As long as you can get into hboot (bootloader) almost any "brick" situation is recoverable with some work so Dont get too scared.

And lastly, if you boot recovery with fastboot, rather than starting it via bootloader on the phone, the boot partition is writable so you do not have to flash the boot image separately... This can be real time saver.

First, let me thank both you and John again. I've really appreciated your help, and patience, especially since I'm sure you could have just said "go look over here."
Second, I followed you right up to the last part. Even though I've read through Scottys guide, I'm still a bit fuzzy on what you mean by booting recovery with fastboot. Is that what he was talking about where it makes the flashing process work like the phone is S-off? If so, do you recommend doing that? If I do that, and then switch to a different ROM later (not a big issue, I'm not big on switching. Once I find something I like I pretty much stick with it) do I have to reboot recovery with fastboot or no?

So if I'm understanding this, if I boot recovery with fastboot (which I don't understand how to do, but feel like Sottys guide explains that, right?) then I don't have to flash the boot image from my computer, right? Do I then just put the zip into the boot partition (you may need to explain that to me as well, or point me to somewhere that does) and install from recovery?

acejavelin

Reaction score
Should I use Ion, or one of the other builds (1.1.5, 1.2)? Your opinion? btw, what do you run on yours?

I would avoid the Ion builds, they are not fully functional yet (camera is broken)... Just the standard Tachyon 1.2 is fine.

Some Rezounds don't like JellyBean 4.3.1 based ROMs, mine seems to be one of them, yet others have no problems, but 4.3 based ROMs seem to work great on almost all handsets. 4.2.2 based ROMs are good, but some have random reboot issues with low CPU clock speeds. So its kind of a try it and see thing, each version and ROM has its pluses and minuses, depends on the person what us the right fit.

Personally, I run LiquidSmooth v2.37 with Banks core Gapps only, for me it is the best balance if features, battery life, and stability.

Tachyon is the clear "top" ROM for the Rezound right now for most people (if there is such a thing), and Neo, the developer, is an amazing coder and very friendly and helpful. For me it ran fine, but it was overkill for what I needed as I wanted something more striped down and bare bones.

My top ROM recommendations for beginners right now would be:

1) Tachyon 1.2
2) LiquidSmooth 2.37
3) Beanstalk 1.300
4) Talon 1.0
5) Infection 2.9.1

All are very stable and have a reasonable user base to ask questions or get assistance.

One notable mention would be CarbonROM, it is a wildly popular rom and I ran that for months until a few weeks ago... But I have a hard time recommending it for new rommers right now as the Rezound recent versions have gotten, I dunno, muddled with multiple kangs and versions.

Oh, and watch your Gapps... Each android base version has its own gapps version, so always follow the ROM developers recommendations if your unsure of which ones to use, and some ROMs have gapps "baked in", meaning preinstalled as part of the ROM base like Tachyon, so always read the first few posts in the ROM thread thoroughly for the details.

OP
P

pastorfish

Reaction score
I would avoid the Ion builds, they are not fully functional yet (camera is broken)... Just the standard Tachyon 1.2 is fine.

Some Rezounds don't like JellyBean 4.3.1 based ROMs, mine seems to be one of them, yet others have no problems, but 4.3 based ROMs seem to work great on almost all handsets. 4.2.2 based ROMs are good, but some have random reboot issues with low CPU clock speeds. So its kind of a try it and see thing, each version and ROM has its pluses and minuses, depends on the person what us the right fit.

Personally, I run LiquidSmooth v2.37 with Banks core Gapps only, for me it is the best balance if features, battery life, and stability.

Tachyon is the clear "top" ROM for the Rezound right now for most people (if there is such a thing), and Neo, the developer, is an amazing coder and very friendly and helpful. For me it ran fine, but it was overkill for what I needed as I wanted something more striped down and bare bones.

My top ROM recommendations for beginners right now would be:

1) Tachyon 1.2
2) LiquidSmooth 2.37
3) Beanstalk 1.300
4) Talon 1.0
5) Infection 2.9.1

All are very stable and have a reasonable user base to ask questions or get assistance.

One notable mention would be CarbonROM, it is a wildly popular rom and I ran that for months until a few weeks ago... But I have a hard time recommending it for new rommers right now as the Rezound recent versions have gotten, I dunno, muddled with multiple kangs and versions.

Oh, and watch your Gapps... Each android base version has its own gapps version, so always follow the ROM developers recommendations if your unsure of which ones to use, and some ROMs have gapps "baked in", meaning preinstalled as part of the ROM base like Tachyon, so always read the first few posts in the ROM thread thoroughly for the details.

Thanks again Ace for all the good info. I've loaded Tachyon 1.2 and it looks great so far. I'll have to do some searching on the net to learn how to use some of this stuff. My only other experience is with my Dinc1, I had cm on it. But that was a year or two ago and now there's all kinds of other stuff out there like HALO and what not that I don't even know what it means. :) So looks like I have some stuff to fill up my "spare" time or keep me busy at work. ;-) I appreciate your speedy answers and your willingness to help. I'll go play for a while now and come back later if I have anymore questions.

jrredho

Reaction score
Second, I followed you right up to the last part. Even though I've read through Scottys guide, I'm still a bit fuzzy on what you mean by booting recovery with fastboot. Is that what he was talking about where it makes the flashing process work like the phone is S-off? If so, do you recommend doing that? If I do that, and then switch to a different ROM later (not a big issue, I'm not big on switching. Once I find something I like I pretty much stick with it) do I have to reboot recovery with fastboot or no?

Yes, what ace was describing as booting recovery with fastboot, which is described in detail by Scotty in the link I pointed you to, is what you do to make the ROM flashing look like you're S-Off. Scotty also describes why this is the case in detail. I can't answer for ace, but to me isn't easier always better? :)

If you want to flash a different ROM, you'd do the same thing: Copy the ROM's zip file to your external sdcard; boot to the bootloader; fastboot boot a custom recovery; and, finally, from that custom recovery you just booted on your phone itself install the ROM zip. No need to extract the boot.img to your computer first and flash it separately using fastboot.

So if I'm understanding this, if I boot recovery with fastboot (which I don't understand how to do, but feel like Sottys guide explains that, right?) then I don't have to flash the boot image from my computer, right? Do I then just put the zip into the boot partition (you may need to explain that to me as well, or point me to somewhere that does) and install from recovery?

I hope I just answered that just above.

Good luck,
john

acejavelin

Reaction score
Yes, what ace was describing as booting recovery with fastboot, which is described in detail by Scotty in the link I pointed you to, is what you do to make the ROM flashing look like you're S-Off. Scotty also describes why this is the case in detail. I can't answer for ace, but to me isn't easier always better? :)

If you want to flash a different ROM, you'd do the same thing: Copy the ROM's zip file to your external sdcard; boot to the bootloader; fastboot boot a custom recovery; and, finally, from that custom recovery you just booted on your phone itself install the ROM zip. No need to extract the boot.img to your computer first and flash it separately using fastboot.

I hope I just answered that just above.

Good luck,
john

I am now S-OFF, so fastboot is irrelevant to me 98% of the time, but to be honest when I was S-ON, I never even flashed a custom recovery into my phone, I always just booted it via fastboot... It is clearly the easier way to do it but for some reason even a lot of experience flashers on this device do not understand how it works and therefore don't even recommend it.

OP
P

pastorfish

Reaction score
Well, this thread I started is ancient now, so let's see if anyone is still paying attention.

I just started having problems with tachyon, so I have installed liquidsmooth. But I don't have a gapps file. Which should I use and how do I install it?

Ace, you said you used banks core gapps. Went over there but doesn't look like he's doing rezound stuff anymore. Did look like there was an old core file there, would that still be a good one to try?

I tried installing the gapps file through the all in one program John had recomended, but all of a sudden it won't recognize my phone, even though I haven't done anything other than install liquidsmooth.

Thoughts?

acejavelin

Reaction score
Well, this thread I started is ancient now, so let's see if anyone is still paying attention.

I just started having problems with tachyon, so I have installed liquidsmooth. But I don't have a gapps file. Which should I use and how do I install it?

Ace, you said you used banks core gapps. Went over there but doesn't look like he's doing rezound stuff anymore. Did look like there was an old core file there, would that still be a good one to try?

I tried installing the gapps file through the all in one program John had recomended, but all of a sudden it won't recognize my phone, even though I haven't done anything other than install liquidsmooth.

Thoughts?

Remember you must use JB 4.3.1 Gapps, always use the recommended Gapps unless you really know why your doing. Honestly, Banks, PA 0-Day, or Google stock Gapps should all work fine, I would avoid Slim or other "custom" Gapps though...

- Flash ROM
- Flash Gapps
- Immediately Reboot to Boot loader (do not start OS)
- Start Fastboot and flash boot.IMG
- Reboot

Once OS is loaded and setup screen is presented, give it 5 minutes for scripts to run, reboot, go through setup and give it time to load everything plus 5 minutes after it seems done, more scripts maybe running, then reboot and enjoy.