Trade Droid for Eris?

noles200

Reaction score
OK, so I've had the Droid for almost a month and my son is slowly convincing me to switch to the Eris, especially since it will most likely get 2.0/2.1 updated in the next few months.

Here's why:
  1. Can still get Exchange Email
  2. Better Keyboard
  3. Apps work the same
  4. I don't use the physical keyboard
  5. Call/End buttons for ease of use (I made a call to my home today and exited out of the phone, couldn't get back in, VM picked up and I just couldn't hang up the thing - really annoyed me. Sure there is a simple way that maybe someone here can give me to hang up when exiting out of phone but a simple call end button is nice).
  6. Pinch Zoom (used to that from iPod Touch)
  7. Sense UI

Some more I didn't add so this isn't too long.

Of course, on the flip side I said to him:
  1. Love Navigation - his answer - it's coming w/in a few months
  2. Love the bigger screen - his answer - but you wanted something thinner and lighter so you have to go with smaller screen if that's more important
  3. Like the screen resolution - his answer - dad, you're old so can you REALLY see a HUGE difference - that was pretty funny answer.
  4. Will the exchange mail work as good - his answer - why wouldn't it.

Again, probably more but just don't want this to be too long.

So, is it worth it to save $100? Is anyone else feeling the same way?

BTW, what is the processor on the Eris? It can't be as fast as the Droid, right?

Thanks for weighing in all.

Now we are an Apple family and I can say that if Google keeps things up I don't think I'd every lust for an iPhone again.

xtdwx

Reaction score
Im in the same boat. My best friend has the Eris and I have the Droid. I love the Droid but there is no forgetting that its in your pocket. Its a brick and the Eris feels so much better in the hand and pocket. Im still in my 30 day exchange period and Im seriously considering the Eris. I love the Sense UI and all of the things you mentioned.

The Droid has a 550 MHz processor while the Eris has a 528 MHz processor. But to tell you the truth Ive noticed that the Droid isnt THAT much faster. The ONLY thing holding me back is the complaints about the Eris' battery...but I think that can be fixed with a software update.

Right now Im just waiting until the Eris gets its battery issue fixed or Verizon releases the much rumored Passion/Dragon...if either happens in my 30 day exhange time Ill leave the Droid.

UWSdroid

Reaction score
I just switched from Eris to Motorola...

Well, I actually had the HTC Eris Droid for 5 days... during which I used it relentlessly. I liked a lot of things about it... but ultimately... there were a few issues that (although seemingly minor) became so irritating, so quickly, that I went back to the Verizon store to play around with the Motorola version. To make a long story short... I returned the Eris, PRONTO, and picked this phone up (the Motorola Droid).

There are many reasons, but chiefly... it's a much more solid phone than the Eris. It's heavier... but I actually like that. It doesn't require a case... the Eris does (which makes it about the same size). And while i appreciate the physical keyboard, and use it about 50% of the time... the fact that the Motorola droid's screen is nearly .5" larger than the Eris screen, means that their (horizontal) virtual keyboard is WAY roomier than the Eris keyboard. Just comparing the 2 virtual keyboards, side by side... I can tell you first hand that I'm typing 10x's more accurately with the Motorola VIRTUAL keyboard, than I did with the Eris.

The Eris ran a little slower (because of the slower processor... not just the inferior operating system)... I could never pull down the 'alerts' messages on the first (or second) try... whereas with the Motorola it's a simple swipe. It's just much easier for me to use the Motorola, than it was for me to use the Eris... and I don't have large hands (and I'm an illustrator... so my fingers are rather dexterous!). The HTC seems designed for women with small hands... while the Motorola was designed with a guy in mind.

If you're trying to choose between the two new Droid phones... speaking as a 30-something guy who enjoys pounding away on various apps for hours at a time... I'd suggest going with the Motorola. The calls sound great... the service is solid (either way)... the screen resolution will blow you away, when you compare a movie played on the two... and it's all the same functionality. The same apps. The same "droid" operating system.

I'm genuinely happy that I returned the HTC. Since I'll have the phone another 2 years, I may as well have the one with the faster processor, nicer camera (flash), better screen, and more memory/storage. Right? That's how I see it.

Caindris

Reaction score
OK, so I've had the Droid for almost a month and my son is slowly convincing me to switch to the Eris, especially since it will most likely get 2.0/2.1 updated in the next few months.

Here's why:
  1. Can still get Exchange Email
  2. Better Keyboard
  3. Apps work the same
  4. I don't use the physical keyboard
  5. Call/End buttons for ease of use (I made a call to my home today and exited out of the phone, couldn't get back in, VM picked up and I just couldn't hang up the thing - really annoyed me. Sure there is a simple way that maybe someone here can give me to hang up when exiting out of phone but a simple call end button is nice).
  6. Pinch Zoom (used to that from iPod Touch)
  7. Sense UI

Some more I didn't add so this isn't too long.

1. You can get e-mail on an older android OS with the use of something like Touchdown. IIRC Android 2.0 is the only OS that supports Exchange out of the box. I have no experience with Touchdown but why pay for an app when this one is built in for free?

2. Personal preference? I like the keyboard/keyboard options on this phone.

3. Yes and no... IIRC there are some apps that are android 2.0 only that won't work on previous builds. I could be wrong on this point.

4. Pinch works as far as I know but the app has to support it. I've heard there are apps that use it in the market. None of them I use so I have no opinion here. I also have no comment on the sense UI.

It seems like you're pretty set on the Eris, and that's ok by me. A phone is a phone and as long as it works for your uses that's great. I'm sure the Droid will get 2.1 eventually so I wouldn't even fret that argument.

les017

Reaction score
I have droid and wife has eris. Personally I prefer droid. I have used eris enough in helping her out. Eris seems to lag a bit more, only 1 gmail can be attached (pretty sure), I like physical kybd option (even though its not the best kybd) and I personally don't care for senseui getting "in my way". Maybe senseui makes more sense on older android systems but with droids 2.0 I don't personally see the point.

Of course its all subjective. Now having said all that if I could get a slimmer, lighter droid without physical kybd I prolly would.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I have the Droid, Wife has the Eris....

It's up to the use.....Who cares if someone else thinks another phone is "better" for you...

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another thing is, the battery in the eris is terrible. I think the biggest thing people hate about it. It has it's problems just as the droid has it. Plus it's running on a more stable version of android. When it gets ported for 2.0 you may see a whole new set of problems. Where most of ours are getting worked out, yours may just be beginning. All sense UI is good for in my opinion is to drain the heck out of the battery more. While it has a decent look to it, its nothing i NEED in a phone.

OP
N

noles200

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. It has been a good debate between me and my boy so I thought I'd bring it here for some good comments and feedback.

les017 said the Eris can only have 1 gmail account attached. Can anyone confirm that? Right now I have 3 (1 gmail and 2 gmail app accounts) and it works great on my Droid.

It is a heavier phone, which I like....sometimes....but like xtdwx said, you don't forget it's in your pocket, that's for sure. I do think something a little lighter may be better. Of course, the comment about not needing a case I feel is true. Bought a case and took it back. This thing is rock solid and I realized fast that I didn't need it.

I've read about the battery issues but I think if you "train your battery" it helps. Again, it may just be my perception but I think it works.

I've ordered the Eris for my boy as a Christmas present as part of the BOGO so he's going to be thrilled (yes if you bought one previously you can the BOGO for sure). For those of you that bought a Droid and Eris in the past month I'd go back to see if you can get this. Worst case is you return the Eris and then purchase another - for free! You still come out ahead $64 ($99-$35 restock fee). I thought I'd have to pay $100 and then put in for the rebate but ordered over the phone and will get on Monday and they didn't as for a penny.