Touch Screen responds differently if you...

Mr.G

Reaction score
touch the side (Metal Part) while using it.

Or at least that's what I've seen on my device. I noticed that the touch screen is a little jumpy after seeing a thread on here about a Screen Test where the Droid did poorly (The test seemed bogus to me but that isn't the issue I wanted to discuss).

Anyways, I was just lounging about on my futon and was fiddling with the pull up App Tab and noticed that it jumped a lot if I only used one finger to drag it up and held it in the middle. But when I put a finger on the metal surrounding it steadied it to a perfect stand still. Since I have no friends with Droids (Which obviously means they aren't my friends now) I was wondering if anyone else can vouch for this phenomenon.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
touch the side (Metal Part) while using it.

Or at least that's what I've seen on my device. I noticed that the touch screen is a little jumpy after seeing a thread on here about a Screen Test where the Droid did poorly (The test seemed bogus to me but that isn't the issue I wanted to discuss).

Anyways, I was just lounging about on my futon and was fiddling with the pull up App Tab and noticed that it jumped a lot if I only used one finger to drag it up and held it in the middle. But when I put a finger on the metal surrounding it steadied it to a perfect stand still. Since I have no friends with Droids (Which obviously means they aren't my friends now) I was wondering if anyone else can vouch for this phenomenon.

Dude, download a game or something if you're that bored...Haha!

I just played around a bit to try to figure out exactly what you're talking about. Set my Droid down, used only one finger to pull the app tab up and stop halfway, then touched the metal on the side of the phone...

As far as I can tell, it's a bit jumpy at random times whether I'm touching the metal or not. It's not ALWAYS super-smooth, but I notice no real difference based on how I'm holding/touching the phone...

OP
M

Mr.G

Reaction score
I see, maybe it's just something with my screen. Thanks anyways for tryin' it. And I suppose you're right about the games... But daydreaming can be worthwhile sometimes XD

Istus

Reaction score
I've seen this too. Laying the phone on a surface (arm of a couch, wooden desk, and so on) and trying to navigate gives weird behavior but as soon as I pick the phone up, I find no issues in navigating around my phone.

I've read its something to do with grounding which explains why it works when I use the touch screen while sitting in the multimedia dock.

andrewdoane

Reaction score
I have never noticed this, even when trying. I even tried it with a loaded-down notification pane, which is always a little jumpy for me, and there was no difference between holding and sitting on desk with one finger. I think it's either idiomatic or caused by an uncontrolled variable.

OP
M

Mr.G

Reaction score
Oh good! I'm not crazy! The grounding bit sounds reasonable to me. I was wondering if it's also because the fact that the metal around the screen might interfere with the capacitive touch screen?

Istus

Reaction score
Oh good! I'm not crazy! The grounding bit sounds reasonable to me. I was wondering if it's also because the fact that the metal around the screen might interfere with the capacitive touch screen?
I think that it is less of an interference thing, and more of a completing the circuit thing given that it is a capacitive touchscreen. I'm no expert in touch screen technology much less the particular screen on the Droid, but I believe it is correct.