touch screen problems

emmrut

Reaction score
Frequently, I am receiving calls and am unable to answer the calls because the touch screen will not respond when I try to scroll down and unlock the screen.

Even more frequently, I touch my face to the screen when I am in the middle of a call, and this will activate the screen and end the call.

Often when I am searching contacts and put my finger on the scrreen to scroll down through the list, the phone will call the contact that is nearest to the place where I touch the screen.

I am very frustrated. Does anyone else have these problems? Please help.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If these things are happening while the phone is plugged in, I would suspect the charger or even the usb cord. If that is not the case, I would then make sure I did not have an antivirus app. If that is not the case, it seems you may have a failing proximity sensor or digitizer.

Good luck.

OP
E

emmrut

Reaction score
It happens both when the phone is plugged in and when it is not. There is no anti virus on my phone.
If it is a proximity sensor or digitizer, are these problems easily fixed? I got my phone in January, the 30 day warranty is up.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is a one year warranty on the phone. If it's a proximity sensor or digitizer problem, your best bet would be to go to Verizon to get a certified like-new replacement (CLNR).

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It happens both when the phone is plugged in and when it is not. There is no anti virus on my phone.
If it is a proximity sensor or digitizer, are these problems easily fixed? I got my phone in January, the 30 day warranty is up.

Starting to sound like a warranty issue. Before I contacted Verizon though, I would do the Factory Hard Reset. If that doesn't do it, I'd contact them about a warranty replacement.

Good luck.

OP
E

emmrut

Reaction score
Thank you for your help!
A factory hard reset? What is that? How do you do it? Does it wipe out everything (contacts and apps) on my phone?
I'm going to be very unhappy to have to trade my new phone for a certified refurbished one. I wanted a new phone not a used one. If I wanted a refurbished phone I would have bought one, Damn!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thank you for your help!
A factory hard reset? What is that? How do you do it? Does it wipe out everything (contacts and apps) on my phone?
I'm going to be very unhappy to have to trade my new phone for a certified refurbished one. I wanted a new phone not a used one. If I wanted a refurbished phone I would have bought one, Damn!

You have a used phone and they will give you a used phone. Almost all warranties work that way these days. I think you get a new phone if issue comes up within the first 30 days. Contacts info is tied to your Gmail account and will reappear. Here's how to do the factory hard reset:

• [FONT=&quot]Turn the power off.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Hold the Volume Down button[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Press and release the Power button[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastboot, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Press and release the Power button[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC DROID Incredible. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.[/FONT]

OP
E

emmrut

Reaction score
Thanks again. one more question...
After the reset, will my phone still be active on verizon? Will my telephone number still work? Or will I have to reactivate it?

Guenillou

Reaction score
Please forgive me if I don't use the correct terms for this forum. I am new to smart phones. I am also having the issue you are.
Here is my issue as well as I can explain it.
The phone (HTC Incredible) goes blank (asleep I suppose) after 1 minute. I see that that can be changed. There is no password or pattern set to unlock it as of yet. I press the power button and it awakens and I scroll down the screen to unlock it to the Home screen. Now, after approx. 30 mins. or later when the phone is blank and if I receive a call, I have to scroll the screen down to unlock it. However, the screen will NOT unlock! It will only unlock until the call or ringing has stopped and the message goes to my voice mail (Verizon). Now, IF the phone has been locked or blank for around 5 mins. or so and I receive a call, I can unlock the screen by dragging it down and answer the call. Weird! I have replaced the phone since and the replacement phone (came today) is doing the same thing! The new phone has no added apps...just the factory defaults. Please let me know if you find a resolution to your problem.
Thanks

OP
E

emmrut

Reaction score
I did a hard reset pursuant to advice that I received. Since then I have not had trouble answering calls. I still have some problems with dropped calls, but it seems like the problem may be related to how I position the phone to my head during the call. I am trying to be more careful to make sure that the proximity sensor remains covered by my head during the call. That seems to be working.

Guenillou

Reaction score
I tried a hard reset once with the previous phone following HTC's advice and it didn't work. I will try it again. Right now the phone is at the Verizon store and they are trying to duplicate the problem I am having. I actually tried to get them to give me a different phone/model, but they wouldn't...of course. Exactly what is and where is the proximity sensor you are speaking of? Thanks so much for answering.

OP
E

emmrut

Reaction score
It's up at the top of the phone near the red bar. a little light flashes on and off when you talk.

Guenillou

Reaction score
Thanks. I just picked up the phone from Verizon and they could find nothing wrong with it. I had them to do a hard reset. Now, I will let the phone stay in sleep mode to see if I still have the problem. I will let you know if I still have the problem. Thanks again :)

Guenillou

Reaction score
I just tried calling my phone again after about 1 hour and was able to answer! Now, I in the past, I had changed the Home screen to something I preferred before receiving any calls. I also let Backup Assisstant restore my contacts. This time I kept the default Home screen and I also was able to let Google restore my contacts...it didn't let me do that before. I'm wondering if those 2 differences had anything to do with my problem. I doubt it. Maybe it was the hard reset like you had done. I will change to the screen I prefer and see if that makes any difference. If so, I will let you know. Thanks again for your help! :)