Touch Screen Quit Working

Diabolist

Reaction score
My wife and I both have Droid 3s which both updated with in the last 24 hours, mine is working fine and her touch screen is totally unresponsive. I was able to randomly get it to unlock twice and then navigate a bit with the keyboard but was unable to get it to go into USB Mass Storage mode to copy everything over before attempting a factory reset. I have been looking for a copy of Blur_Version.5.5.959.XT862.Verizon.en.US.zip however all the links I seem to be able to find are outdated and no longer functioning. Can anyone give me a manual update that isn't the new one? I would like to try to save the 15 weeks worth of baby photos that did not upload properly from her phone before attempting an update.

Edit info, it looks like this is the manual install version of the newest update. I found out from Verizon that her phone had not been 'totally programmed" from their end for over a year. I am hoping beyond hope that it is data corruption in the update that is causing this issue. But I still need a manual version of the update to find out.

Last edited:

Diabolist

Reaction score
OK so I have got my wife's phone to unlock and get the data off of the phone. The phone digitizer is still not responding but I was able to get what I wanted backed up. It required a lot of time and fiddling around but if all of the phone functions with the exception of the digitizer works, and the phone is still activated, it is still possible to trick the phone into unlocking with the keypad. First make sure the phone is charged and power it on. Once it is fully loaded, call the phone from another line. Then starting with your thumb on the keypad around the area of the Enter and "OK" buttons, push run your finger from the Enter and OK buttons across as much of the keypad as possible towards the ALT button on the opposite side of the keypad. About 2/3s of the time you will signal the phone to ignore the call. It will pop up the text response, navigate down to cancel, the phone will relock. Start over. Once you have successfully answered the phone call, hang up from the other phone. The phone should remain unlocked IF you successfully answered the call. OK now you cannot change the USB mode of the phone without the touch screen, but you can navigate around the phone quite a bit, keep in mind there is no way to back up once you go into things as the only 'reverse' key is in the digitizer. That being said, you should be able to navigate into your settings through the apps button on screen. From there you can go into display and set the phone to never time out the screen through the display settings. Power the phone off and back on using the power button and arrow keys, start over, then in settings change the phone to never put the display to sleep if the phone is charging. Now your phone should stay unlocked as long as you keep it on / charging. And you should be able to trick the phone into unlocking. At this point I was able to navigate to the phone Gallery, My Library, and share all my photos. Also if it is a Verizon phone you will also be able to go to the verizon website and tell your verizon account to sync your contacts through the backup assistant on the website. That also took some fiddling around, finally figure out how to back it up from the website end by telling the website I was changing devices, it then gave me the option to backup my contacts before changing devices. Verizon synced from that end and viola. Out a phone but all 'important' data was saved.