Total noob here

lissener

Reaction score
Hi--I have droid x, been about a month now. Still finding my way around it. I'm sure 99% of the questions I ask here will be embarrassingly nooby, but I figured I'd take the plunge anyway; the more I ask now, the more I'll be able to figure out on my own as I wear away at my noobness.

So . . . current issue: when I bought the phone, the dude in the verizon store set up the gmail account for me. Apparently it was a necessary first step in order to keep my unwieldy contact list intact.

So now today, I dig out this Messages widget, that displays current messages for whatever inboxes you associate with it. I figured out how to add my work email to it, and it automatically included texts on its own authority, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to add my gmail inbox to it.

When I go to "add account," I get every option in the world--myspace? skype?--but no gmail. I tried clicking the Google widget, but when I go through the steps, I get the message "Account already exists. There is already a [my gmail address] account on this phone." [The "duh" is only implied.]

Um, yeah, it's already on this phone, but how do I include in this Messages widget??

Thanks in advance.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm not that familiar with MotoBlur (as in, NOT AT ALL ;)) but I'd suggest sending an e-mail to yourself to see if it was automatically included when you set up the widget.

OP
L

lissener

Reaction score
Nope, it's not. And it's not one of the accounts listed on the Go to Messaging page.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
That moves on to the next step nicely, then. When you hit the menu button do you have any kind of settings you can mess with? If so, look through those and see if there's a way to add another account. If not, we'll move on to the next step.

OP
L

lissener

Reaction score
When I click on the red widget (anyone know how to do a screen cap off my droid?), I get these offerings:

Go to Messaging
Add account

Widget settings lets me choose which services I want to be displayed on the widget. It offers me "all services," and then itemizes that as Text Messaging, and my work email, which I just added. No gmail extant. The menu button avails nil on that page.

When I click Go to Messaging, I get: Univeral INbox; Text Messaging; Work email. Menu button yields: Compose; Manage accounts; Edit universal inbox; messaging settings.

Manage accounts: there it is, finally, in the list: Phone / backup assistant; work email; gmail account (it shows my gmail address and then says "Google" below). I click on the gmail listing, and I get the following checklist:

sync books (check)
sync contacts (check)
sync gmail (check)
synch calendar (check)
and a "remove account" at the bottom.
Menu offers only "sync now."

I back up one, and the previous menu (itemized above) offers "add account" at the bottom. I click that, choose Google. There's a paragraph about adding an account. Hit next, offered Create and Sign in. I sign in. I get "Account already exists."

Back out to first menu offered by the widget, click on Add account. Same as above; account already exists.

Have I exhausted the available routes through this process? or is there something I haven't tried yet?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Screenshots/caps require root on everything but the Fascinate.

I'm at a loss here, unfortunately, so I'd suggest opening a thread in the Rescue Squad section or the Droid X section, or reporting your first post and asking for it to be moved there.