Toshiba Thrive tablet

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
thrive-lead.jpg

So what exactly makes this Honeycomb tablet so special? Well, the fact that it comes in a wide array of options (there’s that word again) like an 8GB version for $430, 16GB for $480, and 32GB for $580. I personally think the 8GB version would more than do the trick seeing how it is the only tablet I’ve seen thus far offering a full sized SD card slot (no micro) and even full sized HDMI and USB connections. Wowzers.

Notable specs include a removable battery (good for when Honeycomb freezes up on you), standard dual-core Nvida Tegra 2 processor, 5MP rear/2MP front facing cameras. Toshiba has also included some handy apps like Swype and upscaling software Resolution +.

The Toshiba Thrive will be the company’s first Honeycomb powered Android tablet to hit the U.S. and Best Buy will allow you to pre-order the device as early as June 13th with a rumored launch date of somewhere around July 10th.

SOURCE: Toshiba Thrive tablet with Android 3.1 ships in July, starts at $429 -- Engadget

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That bezel is way too big though

+1
That just looks ugly IMO.
I have the XOOM 3g and to be honest, the only other tablet out there or even being divulged right now that is anywhere as good as the XOOM is the ASUS Transformer.
I guess each manuf. will have their own little feature(s) to tout however.
To each his/her own :)

cjreyes666

Reaction score
that 8gig sounds really good and for the price dont need to worry to upgrade memory since we have heck loads of memory cards all over the house.

GeLopez

Reaction score
that 8gb sounds bad compared to the transformer. i also agree on the bezel being to wide

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

To each their own. I've thought the same with some tablets I've seen, but I have the IPad and you know what, a thinner bezel can create problems with unwanted taps or covering up part of the screen you're trying to read when while holding it.

They're also too thin (pretty much all tablets) to hold comfortably and when people get a case it kind of defeats the purpose.

Lighter is good, can't argue with that, but these companies need to put more thought into the ergonomics of how people actually hold these devices. I think something like a bubbled/rounded protruding backside edge would be more comfortable to hold.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Agree with the Transformer comments...for 16GB at $400, I think that's a better deal than the 16GB Toshiba at $480. Just looking at how Amazon customers are flocking to the Asus over the Acer Iconia, which is only $50 more. Also not sure that the minor flourishes on the Toshiba will matter much in this crowded market.

The other thing that seems to have captured people's attention on the Transformer is the keyboard dock. I'm also really interested in seeing what their upcoming Slider will look like.

[video=youtube;qite1mJiS50]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qite1mJiS50"]YouTube - ‪Asus Slider Android Tablet Demo at CES 2011 - HotHardware‬‏[/video]

-Matt

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm finding typing with the soft keyboard not too bad (don't have Swype, and not sure how easy that would be to use on a tablet, maybe need a less-than-fullscreen width keyboard). Still, it's no substitute for a physical keyboard, although you can kind of type on a tablet soft keyboard the same way, but it would take time to learn and even then...

The full SD card slot on this is a really smart idea. Other than that, agree Asus has everyone beat on features and price.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
A full SD card slot, a full sized USB port on the device, and a removable battery.

I'd say those features press this one past the Transformer for me. I used the full sized usb port on my G Tablet all the time with flash drives. It's extremely convenient. I don't mind a little extra bulk, so if the display on this one is up to par, I'll definitely be purchasing the Thrive over the Transformer.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm also curious about the display. Excuse me for taking the Nook screen and generalizing, but the IPS display is spectacular. We have the 7" Nook color as well as the 10" Viewsonic gTab (y'all probably know the gTab screen sucks) and the difference is painful to look at. If the Transformer display is as good as the Nook's (plus it's Gorilla Glass)--and the Toshiba isn't IPS (I don't know the specs)--that'd be another factor for me.

EDIT: OK, just checked and it does look like the Thrive matches the Transformer on display:

Toshiba’s Thrive: Full-sized USB/HDMI ports, 10.1-inch IPS display, Honeycomb 3.1 from day one | 9to5 Google | Beyond Good and Evil

-Matt

knock

Reaction score

To each their own. I've thought the same with some tablets I've seen, but I have the IPad and you know what, a thinner bezel can create problems with unwanted taps or covering up part of the screen you're trying to read when while holding it.

They're also too thin (pretty much all tablets) to hold comfortably and when people get a case it kind of defeats the purpose.

Lighter is good, can't argue with that, but these companies need to put more thought into the ergonomics of how people actually hold these devices. I think something like a bubbled/rounded protruding backside edge would be more comfortable to hold.

I agree. The human hand wants to grip something and it isn't a tapered glass/aluminum edge. I'd give all tablets a C on "grip-ability."

DroidMastar2

Reaction score

+1
That just looks ugly IMO.
I have the XOOM 3g and to be honest, the only other tablet out there or even being divulged right now that is anywhere as good as the XOOM is the ASUS Transformer.
I guess each manuf. will have their own little feature(s) to tout however.
To each his/her own :)
I think it looks very ugly as well... specs indicate a solid product tho... ah well. Only "comparable tablet out toting Android" you mean. Quite honestly I would take a Asus eee slate over any other tablet.