Torrent Client - please help

Sbeck

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a true torrent client, not a remote that works well with my Droid over WiFi. Im not using it on 3G, just WiFi. I tried aBTC, but it doesn't always work and its very slow. My netbook is 10 times faster pulling the same torrent over the same WiFi....I don't understand that!!!!

D

dvdcatalyst

Can anyone recommend a true torrent client, not a remote that works well with my Droid over WiFi. Im not using it on 3G, just WiFi. I tried aBTC, but it doesn't always work and its very slow. My netbook is 10 times faster pulling the same torrent over the same WiFi....I don't understand that!!!!

While torrents is a bit of a grey subject, the reason for the slower connection speed is likely due to the connection-count. I am not sure what the actual limit is on Android, or what the device's hardware is actually capable of, but torrent clients, as well as p2p apps, use a lot of connections at a time. The more connections your device can handle, the more people it is connected to and the faster the download/upload speed.

If you compare the peer-count between your netbook and on your phone, you will probably notice a big difference.

On top of that, your phone also has a bunch of additional apps running in the background, many using the network and thus reducing the amount of available connections even more.

Using a task-killer, and turning off things like sync/email etc will probably speed things up a little, but don't expect any miracles.

OP
S

Sbeck

Reaction score
I assumed it had something to do with the number of connections. Has anyone else had any experience with torrent clients on Android????

D

dvdcatalyst

I'd suggest to google a bit. There are a couple of websites that have reviews listed for them, and the comments from people to those reviews could help you.

Here is one comparison I found

3 Free and User-friendly Torrent Clients for Android

While torrents can be used for legal downloads, in 99.999% of the cases, it is not used to download the ISO of your favorite linux distribution. Because of this, torrent-talk is usually kept to a minimum.

OP
S

Sbeck

Reaction score
Agreed and im not trying to promote priracy by no means. Im a software developer and I know the evils of such. Thanks for the link and would still love to hear from some more folks.