torrenting on droid X (help please)

spider210

Reaction score
That's like saying if u were locked out of being administrator on your computer and u had to call the manufacture everytime you wanted to install a program they didn't approve of .
If I root/change my cable box made by, say, RCA, and then receive HBO for free from Comcast, is that hacking/illegal? That's the way I look at rooting the droid. But like I said, I'm only asking because I don't know. I see a lot of opinions on this subject and I'm learning a lot, but I'm not sure everyone agrees.
I guess I could ask it this way. Can Verizon prosecute if you root and then tether for free? I understand that they can cut service, but if you have tethered for free for something like a year, can they sue for damages? Can you go to prision?
Probably something that's beyond the scope of this forum.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JWDX

Reaction score
That's like saying if u were locked out of being administrator on your computer and u had to call the manufacture everytime you wanted to install a program they didn't approve of .
If I root/change my cable box made by, say, RCA, and then receive HBO for free from Comcast, is that hacking/illegal? That's the way I look at rooting the droid. But like I said, I'm only asking because I don't know. I see a lot of opinions on this subject and I'm learning a lot, but I'm not sure everyone agrees.
I guess I could ask it this way. Can Verizon prosecute if you root and then tether for free? I understand that they can cut service, but if you have tethered for free for something like a year, can they sue for damages? Can you go to prision?
Probably something that's beyond the scope of this forum.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I disagree, that's nowhere near my scenario. I use a cable box to subscribe to a cable service, but I have the capability to modify it to get part of the cable company service for free. If I do that it's stealing.
I see rooting and free tethering as the same thing, I would be using the Verizon network to get something they intended that I pay for after I modify the communications device. I don't see a difference between the two situations.
But it has been explained in another post above that it is perfectly legal to root and free tether, apparently Verizon only has the right to stop your service.