[HACKS] [Toolkit] Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.0 [Updated 11/26/12]

ksaul

Reaction score
Thanks man. This is actually taken care of in the latest release, with the little exe I wrote called "gnexwug_permCWM.exe", which launches at the end of the root script. This program opens a cmd prompt, enters adb shell, grants su permissions, mounts the system partition, renames the file, unmounts the system, and then exits adb shell; all using some automated send key cmds. Try it out.

This is exactly what it does:

adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.bak
mount -o remount,ro /system
exit
exit

You can mount the system with the more generic syntax I used, and accomplish the same thing. People should no longer have that problem if they use this version, since it runs through that at the end of the root procedure.

{{ WugFresh }}

This is the step i was talking about in my post about the environmental variables not being setup during ur driver install step. Glad to know what was skipped because I didn't notice any trouble otherwise - I might go in and manually fix it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

chefb

Reaction score
Is there a way to flash back to stock with out in rooting....like if you in a boot loop and can't get out?

OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Is there a way to flash back to stock with out in rooting....like if you in a boot loop and can't get out?

As long as you are unlocked you can. Otherwise you would have to use the program ODIN.

{{ WugFresh }}

OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
This is the step i was talking about in my post about the environmental variables not being setup during ur driver install step. Glad to know what was skipped because I didn't notice any trouble otherwise - I might go in and manually fix it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Ok. Just so you, what you quoted has nothing to do with environmental variables or drivers. Nor were the environmental variables ever updated during the driver setup. Maybe you are referring to the old SDK+Files button from version 1.2.2? The only way what you quoted could have anything to do with environmental variables was if you were using version 1.2.2 and it said, 'adb is not recognized as a valid program or operable batch file'. Otherwise I am rather confused by your comment.

Either way, everything should be working correctly in version 1.3, so just grab that if you are having difficulties.

{{ WugFresh }}

Thetaman

Reaction score
Thanks Wug! Can't wait to try this out at home tonight. I have been looking for an ideal way to root that didn't require me to use ADB and this seems like the best way!

I'm guessing I need to go find a file to flash CWM recovery though? And if I flash recovery through the tool, it sticks?

Wish I had a PC that would let me install software to it...I'd do this right now on my lunch hour. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Nevermind got additional info from this youtube video from DroidModderX [video=youtube;U9nldxBC4ys]http://youtu.be/U9nldxBC4ys[/video]

Last edited:
OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Any chance this will be avaible for other phones like the HTC Rezound?

Hard for me to make tools for devices I don't personally own or have access too. I just got my gnex which is why I built this. I am open to other development projects, but access to hardware is the limitation.

{{ WugFresh }}

OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks Wug! Can't wait to try this out at home tonight. I have been looking for an ideal way to root that didn't require me to use ADB and this seems like the best way!

I'm guessing I need to go find a file to flash CWM recovery though? And if I flash recovery through the tool, it sticks?

Wish I had a PC that would let me install software to it...I'd do this right now on my lunch hour. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Nevermind got additional info from this youtube video from DroidModderX [video=youtube;U9nldxBC4ys]http://youtu.be/U9nldxBC4ys[/video]

Cool man. Enjoy! The clockworkmod recovery imgs are actually included. Just run through the unlock and root procedures and this tool will take care of everything. Just make sure to configure your drivers properly, and everything should go smoothly. The drivers button should configure them automatically, but there are manual instructions included in that script as well if it doesn't work.

{{ WugFresh }}

Thetaman

Reaction score
Hey Wug, on your version 1.3 did this change...

Use the "SDK + Files" option first to extract the necessary files to their proper locations

The button per your screenshot in the OP now says "System Files". Does it do the same thing as said above in your instructions?

OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Hey Wug, on your version 1.3 did this change...

Use the "SDK + Files" option first to extract the necessary files to their proper locations

The button per your screenshot in the OP now says "System Files". Does it do the same thing as said above in your instructions?

This no longer requires the SDK. I just deleted that from the OP. My fault, I thought I deleted that... I am maintaining multiple threads on this program, so its hard for me to keep up with my own changes.. lol. All files are included when your first install it now. There is an option now called "System Variables" which is optional.. and will allow you to use adb cmds globally from cmd line if you want.

The only requirement now is the driver setup which should configure them automatically... however manual instructions are included in the script if that doesn't work.

Hope that clears things up. Enjoy. :)

{{ WugFresh }}

Thetaman

Reaction score
This no longer requires the SDK. I just deleted that from the OP. My fault, I thought I deleted that... I am maintaining multiple threads on this program, so its hard for me to keep up with my own changes.. lol. All files are included when your first install it now. There is an option now called "System Variables" which is optional.. and will allow you to use adb cmds globally from cmd line if you want.

The only requirement now is the driver setup which should configure them automatically... however manual instructions are included in the script if that doesn't work.

Hope that clears things up. Enjoy. :)

{{ WugFresh }}

Thanks Wug! That clears it up. I'm guessing the video was based on v1.2, so good to know the differences now.

I feel you on the multiple forum thing. Been on XDA longtime and Rootzwiki too. Now on here and another forum or two since I switched from Sprint to Verizon and the Galaxy Nexus. Sometimes, it's almost painful how many forums there are. Good to have choices, but a pain to maintain things like this!

Appreciate the tool! :D

OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks Wug! That clears it up. I'm guessing the video was based on v1.2, so good to know the differences now.

I feel you on the multiple forum thing. Been on XDA longtime and Rootzwiki too. Now on here and another forum or two since I switched from Sprint to Verizon and the Galaxy Nexus. Sometimes, it's almost painful how many forums there are. Good to have choices, but a pain to maintain things like this!

Appreciate the tool! :D

No problem. Yeah, that video was on 1.2. Enjoy. :)

{{ WugFresh }}

moto57

Reaction score
Alright guys I need some help. I hope I didn't make too big of a boo boo. While rooting I was in the screen describing the instructions for using the volume key to go from green start button to red recovery mode. Well, before I could read everything and before I went into recovery mode I accidentally hit a key on my computer so it went on doing it's thing before I was in recovery on my phone :mad:. So, I went ahead and went into recovery and now I am in CWM trying to "reboot system now" and when I hit the power button it just turns my screen off. Hit it again and it turns my screen back on, it won't let me make the selection. It worked fine for doing everything else up until this point. The toolkit is on the "final stages" screen. I am pretty new to the world of rooting so I hope doing this out of order didn't just turn my phone into a paperweight. What do I do?? I'm afraid to touch anything at this point. Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

Thetaman

Reaction score
Alright guys I need some help. I hope I didn't make too big of a boo boo. While rooting I was in the screen describing the instructions for using the volume key to go from green start button to red recovery mode. Well, before I could read everything and before I went into recovery mode I accidentally hit a key on my computer so it went on doing it's thing before I was in recovery on my phone :mad:. So, I went ahead and went into recovery and now I am in CWM trying to "reboot system now" and when I hit the power button it just turns my screen off. Hit it again and it turns my screen back on, it won't let me make the selection. It worked fine for doing everything else up until this point. The toolkit is on the "final stages" screen. I am pretty new to the world of rooting so I hope doing this out of order didn't just turn my phone into a paperweight. What do I do?? I'm afraid to touch anything at this point. Thanks in advance for the help!

If you were at the point were at the point where you just needed to select Recovery from Fastboot, and did that, you should be fine. It seems like you got into CWM recovery. Did you flash the SU.zip before rebooting? Also, if you rebooted and didn't run the automated script by Wug after flashing SU.zip and rebooting...CWM recovery probably didn't stick. If you did flash the SU.zip before rebooting, trying going into ROM manager and flashing CWM there. Supposedly that will make recovery work.