[HACKS] [Toolkit] Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.0 [Updated 11/26/12]

ksaul

Reaction score
WOWOWOWOWOW!

I was sooo scared to even attempt to root my brand new Galaxy Nexus - but I gave it a try (because of your toolkit) and it worked like a charm! No fail attempts during any process! I am soooo impressed, and very grateful! I will definitely be donating (once i get my tax return :blink:) but thank you thank you thank you for this amazing toolkit!!!

I did have 1 issue (i think... im not even sure it was a problem yet..) but during the last step of the ROOT process, it appeared that my environment variables were not setup with your automated drivers and sdk process because it kept returning <xxx> is not a command, but since there was no try/catch block in that script - it continued the process and assumed (whatever that last step-script was doing) did it correctly.

I was able to install ROM manager and create a backup image of my "stock" image though...

Last edited:

higgins

Reaction score
Does this add the stock recovery,unlike the last version? I still prefer doing everything manually tho, use this when i get lazy.

Kias

Reaction score
I did have 1 issue (i think... im not even sure it was a problem yet..) but during the last step of the ROOT process, it appeared that my environment variables were not setup with your automated drivers and sdk process because it kept returning <xxx> is not a command, but since there was no try/catch block in that script - it continued the process and assumed (whatever that last step-script was doing) did it correctly.

I got the same thing, so I redid the whole thing to see what it was doing.

It's just renaming the recover-from-boot.p file to recover-from-boot.p.bak

I went in manually, and found that file doesn't even exist in my system directory... So, I think I'm all set!

johnnyb15613

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Major props to the OP!!! This toolkit worked 1st time with no fails, will be donating soon!!

Reaction score
Hey guys trying to find an answer but not sure where to look. I used this tool but when I try reboot to recovery I get Andy with a red exclamation point. I then have to hold volume U/D and power in order to reboot. I then tried to unroot but no dos windows comes up. Nothing happens when I select flash stock & unroot. I was going to start from scratch.

Is it necessary to shut down all virus software in order for this to work? I did get an error a trojan was found via my webroot virus software.

jtsativa420

Reaction score
Hey guys trying to find an answer but not sure where to look. I used this tool but when I try reboot to recovery I get Andy with a red exclamation point. I then have to hold volume U/D and power in order to reboot. I then tried to unroot but no dos windows comes up. Nothing happens when I select flash stock & unroot. I was going to start from scratch.

Is it necessary to shut down all virus software in order for this to work? I did get an error a trojan was found via my webroot virus software.

Seems you have to constantly reflash the recovery because the stock recovery continues to over write the new one. Koush is working on a new recovery but until then you can rename the stock recovery file for a temporary fix.

Swyped from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

johnnyb15613

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
After rooting and flashing the new recovery, I downloaded ROM Manager and reflashed cwm. It stuck after that. Also, there is a touch version in the market!

Reaction score
I had to revert to a stock image manually as this tool does not work to revert to stock.

I do want say it did unlock and root properly but since I had so many issues with the recovery setup, I would have liked the ability to use the same tool to revert to stock image.

Last edited:
OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I had to revert to a stock image manually as this tool does not work to revert to stock.

I do want say it did unlock and root properly but since I had so many issues with the recovery setup, I would have liked the ability to use the same tool to revert to stock image.

Yes it does. Can you please describe your problem. What do you mean by "it doesn't work?"

{{ WugFresh }}

OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Version 1.3 is now up. Will update the changelog later.. I need to sleep. Enjoy!

{{ WugFresh }}

ReaganSmash

Reaction score
Version 1.3 is now up. Will update the changelog later.. I need to sleep. Enjoy!

{{ WugFresh }}

First and foremost, I want to give a big "Thank you!" to you, Wug. This tool makes unlocking and rooting, among other things, super easy and you took the time to do it right, i.e. step-by-step directions for those less than tech-savvy people.

Edited: No longer needed with latest release.

Last edited:
OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
First and foremost, I want to give a big "Thank you!" to you, Wug. This tool makes unlocking and rooting, among other things, super easy and you took the time to do it right, i.e. step-by-step directions for those less than tech-savvy people.

I saw some references to the problem I had, but I didn't see if anyone resolved it. I unlocked my phone just fine, and the root process appeared to work. However, the recovery-from-boot.p file didn't get renamed or deleted so when I'd try to flash a new ROM it would boot to the Android on its back with the red exclamation point. I'm not sure what part of the script failed, if needed, I can do some testing one of these first nights and provide more info.

Because I didn't find directions to fix it online last night, here they are for anyone else that might be having this:

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! There is the potential to cause some real harm here and I don't have enough experience to help you fix it if you do. I am not a linux pro and would never claim to be. Someone who IS could probably point out a slightly better way to do this, but this worked fine for me.

(Drivers MUST be installed prior to doing this, but since you probably tried with WUG's tool first, this should already be done.)
1) Enable USB Debugging on your phone.
2) From a command prompt, type adb shell and press enter
3) Type su and press enter
4) Type mount and press enter, then verify the mount path for /system. It should be something like /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/system
5) Type remount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/system /system then press enter. This should temporarily remount /system as read/write
6) Type chmod 777 /system/recovery-from-boot.p and press enter
7) Type mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.bak and press enter.
8) Type ls /system and press enter. Verify that recovery-from-boot.p has been renamed to recovery-from-boot.p.bak. If not, type exit then start over from step 2, making sure you follow directions exactly.
9) Type exit and press enter, then type exit again to exit command prompt. Re-flash clockwork recovery using Rom Manager and you should be set.

Thanks man. This is actually taken care of in the latest release, with the little exe I wrote called "gnexwug_permCWM.exe", which launches at the end of the root script. This program opens a cmd prompt, enters adb shell, grants su permissions, mounts the system partition, renames the file, unmounts the system, and then exits adb shell; all using some automated send key cmds. Try it out.

This is exactly what it does:

adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.bak
mount -o remount,ro /system
exit
exit

You can mount the system with the more generic syntax I used, and accomplish the same thing. People should no longer have that problem if they use this version, since it runs through that at the end of the root procedure.

{{ WugFresh }}

ReaganSmash

Reaction score
Awesome! Sounds like I was just 1 day early and used the previous release. I've edited my post to avoid confusion. Thanks again, you rock!