Tonido Android client available - Your personal cloud

J

JohnDroid

It looks like those of you who are fans of Tonido can celebrate... they've just announced the beta client for Android on their blog.

What exactly is Tonido you ask? Tonido allows you to run your own personal cloud. That is, it shares files, documents, photos, music and videos from your desktop computer to any device that has a browser or a client. No uploading, no storage limits, just instant "always-on" sync.

Some of the features of the Android client are:

• Browse your files and folders
  • Browse your pictures
  • Stream your music
  • Share via Tonido Webshare
  • Take a picture and upload it to your remote computer
You can find out everything you need to know about Tonido by visiting their site at this address: Tonido - Run your own Personal Cloud

Please let us know if you use Tonido and how the beta works for you!

Reaction score
it's not free when the first thing i see on their website is "Buy" and on the signup page it has in HUGE bright lettering a "Starting price" of $19.99.

Dropbox>

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I'm using Dropbox a lot. It's free and I've almost earned the max 8 Gs of storage. Bunches of friends, family, etc. drop files on each other all the time.

Is this worth the 20 bucks?

TIA

dynodroid

Reaction score
it's not free when the first thing i see on their website is "Buy" and on the signup page it has in HUGE bright lettering a "Starting price" of $19.99.

Dropbox>

The Tonido server software is completely FREE. You can install the server software in your windows, mac or linux computer. Only the TonidoPlug device (TonidoPlug - Tiny, Low Power, Low Cost, Linux Home Server | Access your files, music and media from anywhere)
is $99.

You don't need this device to use the Tonido Android app.

dynodroid

Reaction score
I'm using Dropbox a lot. It's free and I've almost earned the max 8 Gs of storage. Bunches of friends, family, etc. drop files on each other all the time.

Is this worth the 20 bucks?

TIA

The software is completely free. You can download it from Tonido website and install it in your computer.

The diff between dropbox & Tonido is explained here in the blog post.

bastosero

Reaction score
If Tonido doesn't have a size limit, unlike Dropbox, then I wouldn't mind paying for it monthly at all. I might check this out. :)

tgs3838

Reaction score
I sent them an email and I got one right back. But nothing in it besides this....

Your message has been assigned an ID of [CodeLathe Support #3989].
Please include the string:
[CodeLathe Support #3989]
in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue. To do so,
you may reply to this message.
Thank you,
CodeLathe Team

Guess when i respond to the email Im supposed to use that code. But should i wait and see if they send another email before i respond

stanrc

Reaction score
I just installed this on my Linux server and only spent a few minutes playing around with it. Seems nice for accessing my files from anywhere on the web, but I don't see where the "sync" like dropbox fits in. I won't be uninstalling dropbox just yet.