To root or not to stay un-rooted

jamisles02

Reaction score
I've had my Moto Droid for 4 months now & LOVE it. I keep hearing about Rooting the phone, but not really sure if I should. I know it lets u put on a custom version of the Android OS (even lets you have Froyo), but don't really know what advantages you get by rooting vs. staying with the stock Android OS & just wait for the official updates. Mind shedding some light on the subject? Thanks

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
I've had my Moto Droid for 4 months now & LOVE it. I keep hearing about Rooting the phone, but not really sure if I should. I know it lets u put on a custom version of the Android OS (even lets you have Froyo), but don't really know what advantages you get by rooting vs. staying with the stock Android OS & just wait for the official updates. Mind shedding some light on the subject? Thanks

Please use the searchbar at the top there is more then enough threads on here to answer your question. Not every question is a new thread please help the mods an use the tools the site offers you.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
its really personal opinion. if happy with phone i'd say leave it. I like to mess around with stuff so I rooted.
it really depends on what you want your phone to do for you.
there are a lot of posts on it, way to many to cover here.

Reaction score
rooting opens up a whole new world of cool stuff. like you said, froyo, flash support, etc. i was always one of those people who promised myself that a stock droid was fine. i rooted mine last week and have been flashing roms like crazy trying to find something i like. i've finally decided to stick with SS 4.5. i love this rom. do some searching here on the forum and root. follow the steps closely and you won't have any problems. flash a rom of your choice and try it out for a few days, if you don't like it you can always flash back to stock (unrooted)

thats my $.02

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mind shedding some light on the subject?
My suggestion is don't bother if you can't fish for info on your own. That may sound insulting but you really should know what you're doing or at least know how to find the answers you need when they're out there. Really, if you can read and follow directions you can get started with one of the guides on rooting and loading a custom ROM fairly easily.

Have you looked at the hacking/modding section of this site? There's a ton of info in those threads.

montyboy

Reaction score
Yes, I must say that this is one of the most heavily documented Android phones in existence. Coming from an HTC Eris, modding, rooting, etc. for the Moto Droid is a walk in the park.

There are great pro/cons listed within this forum.

ChugIt

Reaction score

Please use the searchbar at the top there is more then enough threads on here to answer your question. Not every question is a new thread please help the mods an use the tools the site offers you.

The entire point of this site is to help people (rooted or unrooted) with their Android devices. There is so much information on this site about rooting and what you can do. I don't mean to sound rude, but these threads asking about the benefits of rooting are extremely redundant, as the info is all over the site. We all knew nothing about rooting until we did some self research. If you want the answers, please browse the forums.

OP: Please look around, this question is asked and answered several times throughout the forums.

Mods: I apologize if I seem like I am being mean to the OP here. It is not my intention.

neubanks89

Reaction score
I go back and forth all the time. Its fun to learn the way Android works by rooting but sometimes its not great for day to day use, you spend a lot of time changing roms and looking for something better because few of them, even leaks, run as good as stock (they may have more features or the latest OS, or run at 1 ghz but nothing beats he stock experience in ese81) but I'd definitely recommend trying it out its really easy to go back to stock so there's no harm in it. I just went back after a month of froyo and now I can patiently wait for the official release knowing what it has to offer.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Aiesline

Reaction score
I go back and forth all the time. Its fun to learn the way Android works by rooting but sometimes its not great for day to day use, you spend a lot of time changing roms and looking for something better because few of them, even leaks, run as good as stock (they may have more features or the latest OS, or run at 1 ghz but nothing beats he stock experience in ese81) but I'd definitely recommend trying it out its really easy to go back to stock so there's no harm in it. I just went back after a month of froyo and now I can patiently wait for the official release knowing what it has to offer.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Not sure what roms you were running but SS4.5 beats stock hands down. It's snappy and seems to be pretty much bug free. I've had absolutely NO issues with . I was playing with a stock droid at Verizon the other day and was shocked at how sluggish it seemed compared to my phone.

nateccnn

Reaction score

I don't understand this argument. How is it helping the mods by tacking onto a year old thread hoping that someone will wade through 200 responses to find the guy's question? All that does is make newbies frustrated and eventually causes them to find another user friendly forum that is ready to strike up a conversation about his topic. Just because it has been asked a gazzillion times doesn't mean it doesn't deserve a response.

I would say that the mod's job would be easier if people would quit posting comments about "we already had a thread about this...use the freakin search button". but that's just me. The culture certianly is different on this site than the ones I have moderated.

Nate

OP
jamisles02

jamisles02

Reaction score

I don't understand this argument. How is it helping the mods by tacking onto a year old thread hoping that someone will wade through 200 responses to find the guy's question? All that does is make newbies frustrated and eventually causes them to find another user friendly forum that is ready to strike up a conversation about his topic. Just because it has been asked a gazzillion times doesn't mean it doesn't deserve a response.

I would say that the mod's job would be easier if people would quit posting comments about "we already had a thread about this...use the freakin search button". but that's just me. The culture certianly is different on this site than the ones I have moderated.

Nate

Thanks Nate. I was looking for a simple link or suggestion, not have my intelligence insulted. I did use the search bar before typing this question & only got more confused on the pros & cons of rooting. Responses like the first one is why I don't really like going on message boards in the first place, but I remember this was a fun, welcoming & helpful chat when I first got my Droid & expected the same a few months later. At least back then if there were threads put up on the all ready discussed topics, they put a link to the discussion up & didn't just give the lazy answer of "use the search bar."

DigiK

Reaction score
Let me add emphasis to Droid's superlative overclocking abilities as a primary motivator for rooting: it's like having a brand new phone that is still performance competitive after nearly a year on the market.

Quadruple stock performance- not bad...
View attachment 12103