To root, or not to root

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR M' started by pmbasehore, Nov 5, 2012.

?

Root my phone?

1. Yes, immediately.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, once a Jelly Bean root method comes out.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nah, rooting doesn't matter anymore.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. What's rooting?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pmbasehore

pmbasehore New Member

OK guys, opinion time. Should I root? Should I wait for JB? Or does it even matter anymore?

On my previous phone I rooted primarily so I could install third-party ROMS. I didn't particularly like blur, so I always put an AOSP-based ROM on my Droid X. On this phone, however, the stock ROM isn't bad at all. I could live with it.

There are a few apps I like to use that require root -- jrummy's ROM Toolbox (to change my bootlogo and bootani) and WiFi Key Recovery so I won't have to memorize random Wifi keys anymore. I don't care (yet) about my bootlogo and boot animation, since I rarely (if ever) actually reboot my phone, but I would really like to have some sort of WiFi Key Recovery app.

So, there you have it. Thoughts? Should I root? Should I wait until a JB exploit is found? Does it even matter anymore?

Thanks!
  2. slsmag

slsmag New Member

to root or not...

I'm in the same boat - my prior [original] Droid was rootedjust so I could get 'normal' things done.
    Rooting was necessary to get any decent performance out ofthe phone and delete apps that took up precious resources.

When I first got the Razr M I was afraid that I would haveto root to get access to functionality like 'mobile hot spot'/Tethering (usingBarnacle) - but then found FoxFi which works great without having to root.
    And now that I've switched to a Verizon 'share everything'plan, the native hot spot is activated and works great.

So, for now - at least until the OTA 4.1.2 update is received - I'm not going to root.
    I just haven't had a need to.

As the Razr M gets older, it may be necessary to root in the future just to keep up with current apps and services, but for now, why fix what ain't broke...

- michael
Search tags for this page
droid razr m wont root

to root or not to root

why won't razor m m keep root with one click root