To root or not to root...

AppliedScience

Reaction score
I have a DroidX,
I have not rooted yet because I am nervous about breaking it.
Question 1 would be is it possible to reverse a root if a wanted, is there any irreversible changes that are made?
Question 2 would be top 5 reasons to root? I'm looking for multiple opinions, so please share.
Thanks!

AppliedScience
Sent from my DX using DroidForums

leftspin

Reaction score
I have a DroidX,
I have not rooted yet because I am nervous about breaking it.
Question 1 would be is it possible to reverse a root if a wanted, is there any irreversible changes that are made?
Question 2 would be top 5 reasons to root? I'm looking for multiple opinions, so please share.
Thanks!

AppliedScience

yes, it is possible to unroot the phone

also, the only way you could "break" it by rooting would be installing a custom ROM incorrectly and soft bricking the phone, and even that can be fixed with an SBF flash so apart from maybe losing some data hacking the phone is pretty much worry free

Top 5 reasons to root? Rooting opens up options for more customization, ability to install custom ROMs (modified versions of android that you can install), overclocking, free tethering, all the apps on the market that require root, seriously the list just goes on

of course before you start doing any of this I would recommend reading up on how to root, how to fix anything you break, how to recover your phone if you do brick it, etc. so that you know what you're doing when you actually do it. There's nothing worse than screwing something up and then not understanding what you did or how to fix it

Schimm

Reaction score
Do plenty of reading and watch videos that various websites have prepared to take you step by step through the process of rooting and then installing custom ROMs. For me, the most confusing part was reading past posts and discussions that are often obsolete now. Like, how to root from Froyo (which you can still do but getting to Froyo is another matter) and which tools to use (z4root doesn't work on GB as far as I know). Make sure you find the updated stickies that describe rooting the DroidX from GB....that will help you cut through all the clutter.

OP
A

AppliedScience

Reaction score
What are some of your fav custom roms?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Schimm

Reaction score
I'm running Sensei Mod V3..... I know there is a step by step video there. Out of respect to the forum I'll refrain from posting links.

Sent from my Xoom

OP
A

AppliedScience

Reaction score
anyone able to explain wifi tether?

toyotaking88

Reaction score
Your best friend is the search function. But to answer your question wireless tether is basically turning your phone into a wifi, usb or bluetooth modem. So you can have internet access on the go, on items such as laptops, tablets, itpads and similar devices.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
I've rooted an HTC phone I had with mixed results. And coming from the 'Palm family' (please don't judge) rooting seems more risky. I tried a handful of ROM's with the HTC and cyanogenmod seemed the most stable, while getting rid of bloat ware and a built in over clock was nice, it still wasn't as stable ans reliable as stock. So I'm curious who has rooted, which ROM did you use, and what have been the downsides?

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Rooted and ran stock up to a week ago.
Running the ics leak now... (stock)

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

cece5702

Reaction score
With ICS is the SMS stock any better? I had to switch to Hancent because stock SMS was so dull and plain.
Rooted and ran stock up to a week ago.
Running the ics leak now... (stock)

Reaction score
Trying to decide to wait on ics or to root. Guess I need to read up on how functional some of the ROM's are that are out.

I'll give you my RAZR when you take it from my cold, dead hands...

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Trying to decide to wait on ics or to root. Guess I need to read up on how functional some of the ROM's are that are out.

I'll give you my RAZR when you take it from my cold, dead hands...

Always read up before rooting and flashing ROMs. Read, read, read. And then, after doing lots of reading, if you still have any questions over whether or not you should root, then you probably shouldn't. If rooting is for you, you'll know, and you won't have to ask if you should do it or not. :)

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep ensure you know what to do if you get stuck. Read and ask questions before diving in.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
cece5702 said:
With ICS is the SMS stock any better? I had to switch to Hancent because stock SMS was so dull and plain.

Nothing special.. dark gray with black.