Benefits of Rooting DX

jtcampbell

Reaction score
I rooted my DX last night, using the instructions that were on this website:

How to: Root DROID X Running Official Android 2.2 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

The only difference that I can see is that I have the Superuser Permissions icon/program on my menu.

What are the main benefits of rooting the DX? I have rooted my previous Moto Droid and could tell several changes and had many benefits, but with the DX, I can't tell any change...and dont know of any apps for root that would be nice...

Anyone have any good suggestions of rooted DX apps that are great, or what else I could do to it now that it is rooted to make it even better?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The biggest advantage of rooting is free tethering across wifi and bluetooth.

There are a few other advantages: skinning, taking screenshots, one-touch backup and restore with TB, editing the build.prop file for better battery lie and performance, and my personal favorite, removing the crapware that Verizon loads on the phone.

scubieman

Reaction score
Another thing you can do is run custom ROM's which are usually faster better put together. If you choose one let me know what you choose. I'm thinking rubiX focused 0.5. I just never seen or loaded a ROM so a bit nervous

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
+1 what ltKen said

Another thing you can do is run custom ROM's which are usually faster better put together. If you choose one let me know what you choose. I'm thinking rubiX focused 0.5. I just never seen or loaded a ROM so a bit nervous

for loading a ROM, just read the thread for that rom. the devs usually give a good set of instructions on how to do it.

i dont have one on my dx, but rubix seems to be a fan favorite out there. and if u have any questions, feel free to make a thread and send me the link of it and ill try to help out

scubieman

Reaction score
+1 what ltKen said

for loading a ROM, just read the thread for that rom. the devs usually give a good set of instructions on how to do it.

i dont have one on my dx, but rubix seems to be a fan favorite out there. and if u have any questions, feel free to make a thread and send me the link of it and ill try to help out

Do you have a custom ROM and if so which one you using and how to do you install it? I currently use ROM manager then do a backup/wipe of data and then it starts installing?

Which if I try to install a non-compatible theme with a ROM or a NON compatible ROM? I'm thinking RUBIX with blackglass theme

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
+1 what ltKen said

Do you have a custom ROM and if so which one you using and how to do you install it? I currently use ROM manager then do a backup/wipe of data and then it starts installing?

Which if I try to install a non-compatible theme with a ROM or a NON compatible ROM? I'm thinking RUBIX with blackglass theme

thats what u should do. making backups first.

just make sure they are compatible with ur DX by reading the requirements.

the5barrons

Reaction score
I don't believe Abe is running a ROM. Neither am I. I was going to try FlyX but I just don't really see a need as I'm really super-satified with my setup right now.

I had the same question after I rooted. There are a few links hanging around (abe has one inn his sig) of some post-root things to do. Debloating apps from your phone, themeing, changing ROMS, being able to make nandroid backups, adding features to your phone...all possible with the root. Not to mention the ability to get some apps that aren't available to non-root users

Check Abe's 'everything root' linky...

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I dont have a rom just 928's theme

Sent from my phone... which happens to be a Droid X