Titanium Backup pro or Root Explorer?

jhov81

Reaction score
First this is my first Droid as im coming from the god awful BB storm so i am a complete noob to this root and rom stuff. I rooted my phone today and now i wanna get rid of the bloat. I already have Titanium but it wont let me freeze w/o buying the pro key. So my question is should i buy the pro key or buy root explorer? Which is the easiest to remove bloat with and which one will be the best buy in the long run?

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Honestly I would say both. Both are 2 of the best root apps in the market. I am partial to TIB to get rid of bloatware since it is so easy to put it back if need be. But I use both of the apps daily.

hogowner

Reaction score
First this is my first Droid as im coming from the god awful BB storm so i am a complete noob to this root and rom stuff. I rooted my phone today and now i wanna get rid of the bloat. I already have Titanium but it wont let me freeze w/o buying the pro key. So my question is should i buy the pro key or buy root explorer? Which is the easiest to remove bloat with and which one will be the best buy in the long run?

read this
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/th...thunderbolt-apps-safe-remove-once-rooted.html

Buy root Explorer and when you go to the settings/app menu it is suggested to RENAME the app instead of freezing it.....what I did....let's say blockbuster.apk...I renamed it blockbusted.apk.old and it is not on my app screen. You do this for all the apps you do not want all the BLOAT!

Also..Titanium Backup is also good for when you install a ROM and you have to wipe..Titanium will install all the apps that you had

IMHO...it is worth to have both if you are rooted :)

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
Since you are now in the root game, I would suggest you at least purchase these two apps plus the paid version of ROM Manager. They will all come in handy down the road.

Lucas5

Reaction score
i agree with the comments stated here, but if you must or can only buy one than I suggest picking up Titanium Backup Pro. Freezing and/or uninstall bloat apps is so easy in TB and you can backup your pass and their settings. I also like to schedule regular backups in TB.
You can optionally get the root explorer functionality using the free Es File Explorer. You can enable/disable root access.

jimmiem

Reaction score
What's the deal with Titanium? I was having an issue with my TB so I decided to wipe it to the factory state. I made backups with MyBackup Pro and Clockwork Recovery, and then I decided to give Titanium a shot. When I was restoring apps it prompted me to install every app, one by one. With MyBackup Pro it does this if you don't have root but with root it just installs everything for you and restores the market links at the same time.

Did I do something wrong in Titanium Backup? I know everyone loves this app but MyBackup Pro has worked extremely well for me and in this instance, seemed to perform better than Titanium.

Of course, I'll probably pay for the full version of Titanium because it has some unique features of it's own. I just thought it should do the backup thing a little better.

hogowner

Reaction score
My titanium backup has batch....to restore and backup.....it is not PRO

bmking24

Reaction score
Titanium backup will ask for every app when restoring after a wipe only in the free version! If you buy the paid version it is unlocked, along with the freeze option and a few other handy things. I used TB for 6+ months and finally broke down and bought it a few weeks away. Too good of an app to not buy!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jason6g

Reaction score
as for the renaming vs deleting...

my 2 cents on this, run some form of a backup app - titanium, my backup, anttek to save all your stuff. then go delete happy with your app of choosing. i use root explorer, and ditch all the crap i dont plan on using. frees up close to 200mb of space on mine.

if you delete the wrong app, either restore it from your backup, or just reflash the rom (the pg05img.zip) and youre back to square one (restore your info and try again)

after a while you will get comfortable with the system directory. i copy all the ringtones n notifications i plan to use into media/audio or whatever it is because i always seem to have an issue where it doesnt play sounds every now n then - moving to the system has yet to fail me