Tim Cook, Larry Page & Tech CEOs Hold Secret Meeting with Top Republicans about Donald Trump

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sea-island-resort-georgia.jpg

The following story will be a fine line to walk for members to discuss. It's definitely political in nature, but it is also one of the biggest news stories of the day, so it's worth sharing. (Please remember the forum rules about not getting into political arguments, but feel free to discuss the strangeness of the situation).

This past weekend, an assortment of industry leaders met with U.S. Republican leadership at the American Enterprise Institute's annual World Forum. The most notable attendees were folks like Apple CEO Tim Cook, Google CEO Larry Page, Tesla CEO Elon Musk, Napster co-founder Sean Parker, and several more tech titans. The GOP leadership in attendance included folks like Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConell, Speaker of the House Paul Ryan and Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton.

According to reports from attendees, the primary topic of the meeting was to discuss how and why Donald Trump has risen to become the front-runner for the Republican party's nomination, and to discuss ways to stop him from winning the nomination. Bill Kristol, editor of The Weekly Standard wrote the following:

"A specter was haunting the World Forum–the specter of Donald Trump,” [Bill] Kristol wrote in an emailed report from the conference, borrowing the opening lines of the Communist Manifesto. “There was much unhappiness about his emergence, a good deal of talk, some of it insightful and thoughtful, about why he’s done so well, and many expressions of hope that he would be defeated."

Kristol also shared, "The key task now, to once again paraphrase Karl Marx, is less to understand Trump than to stop him. In general, there's a little too much hand-wringing, brow-furrowing, and fatalism out there and not quite enough resolving to save the party from nominating or the country electing someone who simply shouldn't be president."

The meeting also included a presentation by Karl Rove, a political consultant for the Republican Party. His presentation was meant to share focus group findings regarding Donald Trump. The rise of Trump was not the only big topic of the pseudo-secret meeting. The other important issue being discussed by these powerful people was Cook's stance on encryption for Apple and their legal tussle with the FBI.

Apparently, Tom Cotton and Tim Cook engaged in a fierce debate that got a bit too heated. One source shared, "Cotton was pretty harsh on Cook. Everyone was a little uncomfortable about how hostile Cotton was."

The meeting was held at the Sea Island Resort in Georgia (shown above).

Source: HuffPost

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think I can ever remember so many people being against a candidate like this before.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Personally I am not one who is for Mr. Trump but there is a problem when corporations come together and are playing with politics. The sad thing is this is not the first time or the last time, the only thing different is that it made the headlines.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Hard to discuss without being political.
Of course they are against him. He's nuts!
:D
/edit/
Keep my views to mah self...

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What I find most fascinating is that a large assortment of tech leaders who are all known to be liberals/Democrats are meeting with Republican leadership to discuss stopping the Republican front-runner. It's a bizarro world we live in right now...

DrumsOfGrohl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone 6
Honestly, I couldn't focus on this article, as I've installed John Oliver's "Drumpf" extension for chrome, and I chuckle every his name is mentioned, especially in the context of "Mr. Drumpf."

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
there is a problem when corporations come together and are playing with politics. The sad thing is this is not the first time or the last time, the only thing different is that it made the headlines.

Aka "4th branch of government".
They don't even try to hide it anymore because Americans do nothing more than female k9 on social media and blogs.
The republicrat party needs to find out why Trump is so popular in the political spectrum with the people, not just try and stop him.
If the following is too political please remove it but Hilary supporters know she's being investigated, has been accused of all kinds of nefarious acts, was at the helm when an ambassador and military personnel were being murdered and mutilated and did nothing to help those under attack and other things but support her anyway by the millions while Trump is a known racist chauvinist hate monger with no answers beyond more hate speech that also has millions of supporters. Congress, as a whole, does nothing beyond taking vacations and complaining about being overworked.
The question that needs to be asked is why? Why are Americans ok with the insanity going on in this nation?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe we jumped the shark a long time ago, and are only just now realizing it as we march blindly toward a future where the movie Idiocracy is a documentary...

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Notice my avatar?

The Tea Party was birthed from the absolute disgust conservatives have with the Republican Party. The GOP is now about as left as Clinton was when he was president and JFK's Democrats were more conservative than today's GOP is. Trump's popularity stems from conservatives' fury regarding the GOP's flat refusal to represent them. When the "Conservative" party is no longer conservative enough, you get people like Trump who run.

GOP: You want to beat Trump? Try representing conservatives and conservative values instead of moving "more centrist" and trying to steal Democrat voters.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Notice my avatar?

The Tea Party was birthed from the absolute disgust conservatives have with the Republican Party. The GOP is now about as left as Clinton was when he was president and JFK's Democrats were more conservative than today's GOP is. Trump's popularity stems from conservatives' fury regarding the GOP's flat refusal to represent them. When the "Conservative" party is no longer conservative enough, you get people like Trump who run.

GOP: You want to beat Trump? Try representing conservatives and conservative values instead of moving "more centrist" and trying to steal Democrat voters.
The gop ain't going back. Conservatives need a 3rd party. Then we'd have a 2 party system again. Republicrat vs conservative.
As far as corporations and politicians in bed together, that can only be solved at the grass roots level in party primaries to decide who will represent the party. It still works but it's under used.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's one of the things a lot of people like about Trump is the idea that he can't really be bought. He can, but it isn't in the same way as normally wealthy politicians are bought. That's one of the main reasons why the Democrats, the Republicans, and corporations are so terrified of a President Trump. They will have virtually no way to control him.

He's grumpy and jerky enough to tell the Democrats to sit down, shut up, and stop whining. He's self-assured and self-financed enough to tell the GOP to sit down, shut up, and stop whining.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
For years now we have been calling for electing out the career politicians that have been the big part of "ruining our country". The emergence of Donald Trump as a forerunner in the race for President is a result, and possibly the beginning of the end for career politicians, and I think it has them scared. They are realizing that the American people are completely disenfranchised with the government and are potentially standing our ground to make a change. Do I think Trump is the right person for the job, not really. Would I choose him over Clinton, yes. If we truly want to get rid of career politicians, then we will have to learn to deal with them either being fantastic, or terrible at the jobs we elect them to do.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
We need to get rid of this antiquated electoral college BS & start using a nationally based popular vote.

S5 tap'n