thunderbolt USB port location... ridiculous?

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I have thought hard about this subject.. the charge port was a deal breaker but now it is not.. I thought why did they put it there. Well TB is being shown and sold as a Skype phone right? They are wanting this thing to be in the portrait for the video calling and therfore the charge port is fine. But you watch TV, Movies, etc.. I do to.. all day thats all I do on my D1.. Well if you place the port on the bottom then you can't put into portrait and would then negate the skype features and videpo calling. Yes you could still do it in landscape, but that is not how they are marketing it. If you place on the top then when in portrait mode you have the wire out the top and the phone is less stable. NVM having the charge cable and your headphone line right next o each other and well you get the point.. If on the right side then in landscape you have a wire out the top and the phone is less stable, blah blah.. so since they are marketing this thing as a skype device the right side made the most sense.. right?

TheOldFart

Reaction score
It is the same as the Droid. They will probably have a charging cradle, perhaps with a magnet to put it into the night clock mode. I don't know if the TB has a magnetic switch like the Droid, but I would bet that it does. The USB port would also be in the correct location to mount into a car dock with a power plug. In my opinion, it's in the correct location for both cradles. I have a Droid and the home cradle and it is more convenient to just drop it into the always plugged in cradle than to have to find the cord and plug it in at night.

What is the big deal with buying a probably $30 cradle, considering the cost of the phone and just the data plan over 2 years is at least $970?

because it's a unnecessary when the phone has a kickstand.......... the purpose is borderline defeated.

It might be defeated for you, but not for me. I would not want to put my phone on the nightstand with a cable attached - too light and easy to knock off. I would much rather have it plugged into a heavier base cradle like I use my Droid. The real advantage of having the kickstand is when you are sitting at a table having a coffee and want to read. I would have no reason to have it plugged in then. Actually, I have never wished that my Droid had a stand, so it really doesn't matter to me. However, the proper location of the charging port for a cradle does matter to me, and the TB has that proper location.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
However, the proper location of the charging port for a cradle does matter to me, and the TB has that proper location.

It's not like it would be some monumental feat of engineering to have a cradle with the charging port on either end instead. Point being, though, that in that case more people would probably opt NOT to purchase the cradle.

andymellon4

Reaction score
Is it just me or is it a bigger deal the TB doesn't have an hdmi out?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

TheOldFart

Reaction score

That I can agree with. Not having the connection at all is far more important than ranting that it is not in the proper location.

andymellon4

Reaction score

That I can agree with. Not having the connection at all is far more important than ranting that it is not in the proper location.

I personally don't care where the charging port is....i am trying to decide if the hdmi port is worth waiting for the bionic or not

sal33n

Reaction score

+1

This is what is really making me want to wait for the Bionic more than dual core. I have nothing that uses DLNA but HDMI, definitely.

andymellon4

Reaction score

+1

This is what is really making me want to wait for the Bionic more than dual core. I have nothing that uses DLNA but HDMI, definitely.

I keep saying to myself and will I realistically be hooking my phone up to my tv that often...and the answer is most likely no.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

I personally don't care where the charging port is....i am trying to decide if the hdmi port is worth waiting for the bionic or not

Agreed. I wasn't implying that you were ranting about the location. Sorry if you thought that.

andymellon4

Reaction score

Agreed. I wasn't implying that you were ranting about the location. Sorry if you thought that.

Oh no haha I wasn't even thinking that I was just agreeing with you more lol...i read somewhere that htc will release something that will allow people to connect with non dlna tvs...if that's the case than its a done deal

sal33n

Reaction score

+1

I keep saying to myself and will I realistically be hooking my phone up to my tv that often...and the answer is most likely no.

It would let me enjoy using my phone's video camera functionality a lot more :) plus I do have movies I put on my droid now that I would not mind connecting to the tv to watch instead of watching on the small screen.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

This is true. However, since my D1 doesn't have that capability I don't really know. Also, it's a moot point for me with the 3G speeds I normally get. LTE changes that.

I do know that I travel a lot, and have been thinking HDMI out is something I really might want to hook-up in the hotel to stream content from a slingbox or netflix. The more I think about it, it's a pretty big deal to me.

On top of that, with LTE I might give it a go ditching home broadband. Just hook-up an LCD monitor and BT keyboard. Or maybe I'll tether my laptop (yeah, I know, but the difference is arbitrary and why should one service be free and the other against TOS?).

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Wow...really? This minute little thing is causing you to wonder whether or not you want to spend $299-$799 on a phone? Because of the location of the USB Charging Port?:icon_eek:

The port on this device is in virtually the same place as the Droid X...and it does get in the way if you want to watch videos/movies when plugged up...but, that can be alleviated by use of a 3rd party Launcher like LPP..which allows the screen to rotate fully so that the charging port is on the top side when watching.

No matter where the phone maker puts the plug opening, its going to be in the way for someone doing something...

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I'm confused, it looks like you can have it standing up with the stand, and then you just plug it in on the side. How is this a bad thing?

kparks

Reaction score
u cant use the kickstand and watch it landscape mode and if u get a new launcher where u can rotate it the other way u still wont be able to use the kickstand LOL so that does dothing