thunderbolt USB port location... ridiculous?

mccabeant

Reaction score
hello folks! newb here...

so i've been searching for the perfect phone for me. spent a year and a half with the iphone 3gs and have reached the apex of frustration... SO i've made the decision to go with the thunderbolt... which has been frustrating in itself with all of it's hype and constant delays (not to mention a february 14th pre-order at best buy....), but i digress...

so the phone seems absolutely PERFECT for what i'm looking for and have been incredibly excited, but then i noticed something that completely took me for a ride... i am BAFFLED at the location for the USB. if you look at a pic, http://blog.laptopmag.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/HTC-Thunderbolt.jpg you can see where the port is... HTC has been renowned for it's kick stands.... but let's say you want to keep the phone on it's kickstand and charge at the same time..........

anyone else find the ridiculousness in that? the phone will end up being lopsided - as opposed to if the port was on ANY OF THE OTHER 3 SIDES. GAH, i had to vent a bit and see if anyone feels my pain. such a perfect phone... and then there's that blatant HORRIBLE decision by HTC.

*deep breath*

-anthony

tu3218

Reaction score
wow, yeah thats pretty crazy. That wouldn't stop me from buying the phone though. Cause if I want to use the kickstand, chances are ill be out where I can't set my phone up the way I want( with my droid, I usually make my own stand up with whatever is on my desk lol). Doesn't make up for the horrible placement of the usb but I guess will just have to deal with it.

OP
M

mccabeant

Reaction score
oh i'll definitely still be getting it since i did try a motorola droid X .... HATED IT. archaic, cheap buttons on the bottom and poor performance. i love HTC - had an old windows phone with the big touch screen and slide up keyboard.

PS. being in the dark about when it's coming out is ATROCIOUS.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
ok but all in all, is it a good phone? have u rooted? any custom ROMs? I wish my phone had the kick stand. sorry ur frustrated, guess every good thing has a flaw

Swyped with an Aloha from Hawaii

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm quite surprised. Even though that's not a huge issue that seems pretty poorly planned out.

tappin and a talkin

OP
M

mccabeant

Reaction score
ESPECIALLY since the EVO has it's port on the bottom... WTF HTC?!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting....This way they can still sell you the cradle when you want it standing up and charging. Yeah, I don't think anything is "poorly planned", most likely intentional.

And why opt for DLNA over HDMI out? Most monitors and tv's/receivers aren't wired for DLNA.

OP
M

mccabeant

Reaction score
Interesting....This way they can still sell you the cradle when you want it standing up and charging. Yeah, I don't think anything is "poorly planned", most likely intentional.

And why opt for DLNA over HDMI out? Most monitors and tv's/receivers aren't wired for DLNA.

yes i was thinking this.. like oh maybe i'll just get the cradle......... WAIT A MINUTE.. WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO DO THIS!

d-bags. $299/$749 isn't enough? ARGH

TheOldFart

Reaction score
It is the same as the Droid. They will probably have a charging cradle, perhaps with a magnet to put it into the night clock mode. I don't know if the TB has a magnetic switch like the Droid, but I would bet that it does. The USB port would also be in the correct location to mount into a car dock with a power plug. In my opinion, it's in the correct location for both cradles. I have a Droid and the home cradle and it is more convenient to just drop it into the always plugged in cradle than to have to find the cord and plug it in at night.

What is the big deal with buying a probably $30 cradle, considering the cost of the phone and just the data plan over 2 years is at least $970?

techguru

Reaction score
At least they corrected the error they made on the Incredible putting the port and volume controls on the same side, so we were never able to get a good landscape desk cradle. Note that the kickstand does work in both landscape and portrait mode, so you can charge and use it as a clock at the same time, but not charge and watch videos at the same time :(

Alan

OP
M

mccabeant

Reaction score
It is the same as the Droid. They will probably have a charging cradle, perhaps with a magnet to put it into the night clock mode. I don't know if the TB has a magnetic switch like the Droid, but I would bet that it does. The USB port would also be in the correct location to mount into a car dock with a power plug. In my opinion, it's in the correct location for both cradles. I have a Droid and the home cradle and it is more convenient to just drop it into the always plugged in cradle than to have to find the cord and plug it in at night.

What is the big deal with buying a probably $30 cradle, considering the cost of the phone and just the data plan over 2 years is at least $970?

because it's a unnecessary when the phone has a kickstand.......... the purpose is borderline defeated.