This thing gets HOT!

OP
MARVIC 1

MARVIC 1

Reaction score
Could be the battery not the phone.
You were right idiotekniQues! :)
I took the DX over to Verizon and they replace the battery and its working fine with no heat at the bottom of the phone like before, just a little warm with lots of Apps running...
Thanks guys for your help!

So it was getting REALLY HOT? I ask because this is my first full day with my new DX and I can definitely feel it being warm at the bottom/back in my shirt pocket. I wouldn't say hot at all, but definitely, noticeably Warm!
Well at first I couldn't even hold the phone to talk after 1 minute, now with the new battery it seems OK just a bit warm like any other phone, (like the one I replace BlackBerry Storm)....

kennyc

Reaction score
Well at first I couldn't even hold the phone to talk after 1 minute, now with the new battery it seems OK just a bit warm like any other phone, (like the one I replace BlackBerry Storm)....

Thanks for that. Third day here with my DroidX and after a full charge and some adjustments, it was still at 100% this morning. Warm when running, but nothing like you describe -- unable to hold it.

I'm dancedroid:icon_ banana:

scf

Reaction score
It can get warm, mine does when I get the the hotspot goin. Nature of the beast and all that.

the5barrons

Reaction score
I went through this very same scenario. I've been waiting a couple days to see if the other shoe would drop. On the third week of ownership, I think I might have pulled an app down that just made the OS go nuts cause it started getting hot. Really hot. After it started killing the battery (sign of no sleep and continuous activation), I did a factory reset deleting everything. Went ahead and installed the very basics. Did the drain and recharge like I just bought it. Drained till phone shut off and then back to 100%. Next day was better, but the battery was still getting hot and I watched as 100% went to 30% in less than 5 hours without doing anything really. No wifi, GPS, no apps, just a couple texts and a quick run on the internet through 3G.

So, I took it to VZW, they looked at it, felt the heat..I trained the guy behind the counter the *#*#4636#*#* test mode and he thanked me with a new battery through warranty. He was going to anyways, but nevertheless.

I took that initial charge to zero (or as close as possible) and then did the 100%. First two days of service have been well over a day of charge...with mild use. Not too much of anything, but if I stay on the phone for more than a few minutes, you can obviously feel some warm, but definitely not hot. I stretched yesterdays charge almost 30 hours.

Mind you, I have the mildest settings. Battery saver mode (which am not sure if it makes a difference but I don't mind it being there so I keep it on that mode), Power Control widget gets most use. I keep wifi off unless I need it, GPS stays off unless I turn it on (or an app does)..but I make sure it stays off, I have no excess widgetry pulling in the backgorund. Facebook is set to auto-sync over wifi only and refresh only if I make it. Same with Yahoo mail, turned the pull rate to once and hour. If I need it more, I tell it refresh. I'm habitual about squeezing the standby/lock button on top every time I set the phone down to minimize on the screen just sitting on for no reason...and the brightness is set to auto. And also, under Data Delivery, I still have background data on and data roam on so as not to completely cut myself off.

Even now...9h40m and my DX has 60%+.

If you feel like the battery is smokin' warm/hot. Check your apps, definitely go through your settings to see if it might be you that is asking for too much all the time. You might consider a factory reset (under privacy) and start over. If you can show the VZW guy/girl that it just isn't the way it should be, they seem more than happy to work a warranted battery (free) for you.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I got my Droid X phone in the mail the other day and I have been setting it up with Apps and accounts.
I have notice that the bottom of the phone get very hot after about 5 to 10 minutes of operation, is this normal with the Droid?

Get the mini info widget to monitor the temperature. Mine gets hot sometimes too, I don't need it's that bad though.

MovieMan

Reaction score
I just got mine on Friday and it gets a little hot too. I wanted to see what it would do so I turned on most of the gadgets, got news, weather and updates going, put on a bluetooth stereo headset and fired-up some web music and then started to organize things. It got warm, but not too hot and the battery lasted quite a while. (several hours, maybe 4) I"m sure being a small computer, its going to warm up a pinch.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
My phone got hot when i first got it, but not hot enough to worry about. Now though, It only gets warm if I'm using it while its plugged in, and that is from charging, not use IMO.

Circlesqr

Reaction score
app?

Does anyone know of an app that records DX internal temperature over time & correlates it with DX activity?

My DX gets HOT when I'm driving with the GPS, display & Pandora all running.

Thanks,

--Daniel