This phone is seriously making me feel stupid....

cdlandrum

Reaction score
Ok, so obviously, I'm a new Droid owner. And I'm about to pull my hair out... I want my contacts from my old phone, to be on my new phone. I have them on the little card. I put the card in the Droid, and export contacts from SD card. Then I get anywhere from 3 - 7 entries for each person. It doesn't look that way in the contact list, but if you go into a contact to edit it, it shows the same information several times. It's really starting to annoy me when I go to send a text message and I'm looking for a contact and it displays the same one half a dozen times! I don't want to sync with facebook, or anything else. I just want my contacts...name and number, and only one copy of each! What am I doing wrong? Or have I even explained this to where anyone understands what I'm trying to get across? I don't really know how to explain it, never had it happen before....

OP
C

cdlandrum

Reaction score
I have 83 contacts.... And they're only on the card once. I just checked to make sure.

silvere2

Reaction score
Ok, then it might just be best to put the card in your old phone and copy them manually one by one. I did it with 250 contacts in about 45 mins - 1 hr, should take you much less. The easiest way is to add them to your gmail address book on your computer and then just sync the phone to gmail. Just sit back, listen to music, pop open a beer, and do it. You'll only have to do it once. :)

loop4zil

Reaction score
You might be able to import them thru Gmail contacts on you computer.

transfer the contact files to your pc
Go to your gmail account,
click on contacts
click on import (upper right)

if they are in csv format it should be no problem

Once in gmail...you might have to do a little editing...but then the phone will sync.

you are golden

edit: Whoops...I sorry for the repost I see that silvere2 already suggested that

Last edited:

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Or take the card and your phone to a VZ store and let them do it .. I always look for the lazy way out :)

Malkavian

Reaction score
My suggestion is to determine if you can import them into your GMail account, then sync them with your droid. I had to do this with my blackberry. I got them sync from my phone to my outlook then to my GMail account then it sync to my Droid.

See if the format of your contacts can be imported to GMail and go from there.

Hope this helps.
Michael

OP
C

cdlandrum

Reaction score
Ahh, that did it. Imported to gmail, then synced to Droid. Got rid of all duplicates! Thanks a bunch!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a lot easier to manage your contacts once you have them properly loaded in gmail. You'll have a lot less trouble migrating their info in the future.