[Theme] NexTheme for Droid X (BETA)

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
[Theme] NexTheme V2.1 for Droid X (8/16/2010)

This is a port of Manup456's NexTheme for the Motorola Droid X. It is meant to be run on the .604 update to Android 2.1.

This installation will require some work, though it is not too difficult. You just need to follow the instructions.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that may go wrong in this process - Though with the SBF file now, it is almost impossible to brick a Droid X.

That being said, I didn't even need to restore while I was porting and testing this, so there should be minimal chance of any major mess-ups.

Changelog

V2.1: Fixed the horizontal progress bars (the weird behavior before a download, etc.)

V2: Fixed the pull down buttons so now you can read the white text. Themed MotoTorch and Ringer Control Widgets now included! Optional wallpapers can be found here:

nexpapers.zip

Instructions

1. Download 'MetaMorph' from the market. Run it once and grant it root permissions.

2. Download the following file:

NexTheme_V2-1.zip

3. Extract the file. Make a folder on your sdcard called nextheme. Extract the contents of the 'framework' and 'apps' folder into sdcard/nextheme. Extract the contents of the 'metamorph' folder into sdcard/AndroidThemes

4. We will first need to push framework-res.apk and services.jar to the system. Open up your terminal emulator or adb (preferably) and type:

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/nextheme/framework-res.apk /system/framework/
reboot
after this reboot, you should notice a different status bar, but the clock and time will still be black.

open up terminal emulator (or adb) again and this time we'll push services.jar

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/nextheme/services.jar /system/framework/
reboot
the following reboot will take between 3-5 minutes!

Now the clock and time, etc. will be white.

5. Now, fire up MetaMorph and choose unzip/extract new theme, select nextheme, and let it do it's thing extracting. Once it's done extracting, you can apply all the themes (for the apps), or apply only the ones you want.

6. Using the 'Files' app that comes with the Droid X, you can navigate to sdcard/nextheme and install the widgets if you'd like. You can see what they look like in the screenshots section.

7. Enjoy your new theme :)

Screenshots

neXtheme.png
nexthemehome.png

nexthemebrowser.png
nexthemesettings.png

nexthemewidgets.png

For even more screenshots, check out the original NexTheme thread here:

[THEME] NexTHEME-v2.0r2-Enom_1.9.2/CM_5.0.7.1 Back In the Kitchen! =) - Nexus Nation Forum

How to return to stock

Those looking to get back to stock can use this file:

Back_to_stock.zip

There are extra apps in the MM on purpose, since you can use this with other themes as well (and possibly more things will be themed in future releases of NexTheme)

Use the same instructions as installing this theme.

OP
Fabolous

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
Yes, the framework and services files. The rest of the apps are themed with metamorph.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

hiphopvenom

Reaction score
okay i will try..its actually my friends phone,, but i shared the link and he wants it,,but just incase where can i get the sbf file?

KingofLrk

Reaction score
Thank you so much. You made this a quick and fun transformation!

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
YES, FINALLY!!!

The only thing I've wanted on my X was a black bar! I don't need OC since it's so fast, I don't need most of the stuff that ROMs offer. All I wanted was to remove stock apps and get a nice black bar theme (NexTheme ftw!).

Now that the SBF is out and you have ported over NexTheme, my dreams can come true! I can REMOVE the apps without fear of bricking and apply this theme, knowing that if I screw it up, I can flash the SBF.

In case you can't tell, I'm excited...

hiphopvenom

Reaction score
the root explorer method didnt work for me..had to flash the sbf file..but all is good now

here is the link on how to do so

Droid X

713King

Reaction score
OMG amazing, now I think i will definitely get the upgrade line that i have on my line to get the Droid X!!!!!!!!!!!

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just for reference, I tried to use root explorer. When I pasted the framework, the screen went black and went into a bootloop. I couldn't get it to boot by pulling the battery or anything and couldn't get to adb so I'm currently testing the SBF file! LOL

edit: yep, same as hiphopvenom

xlivewire7x

Reaction score
Really wish I hadn't done this. Really screwed my phone over by trying to use root explorer. After going into recovery mode I figured it would all be good if I did a factory reset; that didn't work. Now Im trying every way I can find to flash the SBF and so far having no luck. Its 5am and I gotta get up before 9, this is starting to feel like an FML moment.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, your phone is fine. Mine did the same thing and the SBF fixed it. Just go through the SBF instructions carefully. My only problem after the SBF flashing is that my 3G doesn't work at *228 option 1 isn't working but a factory reset should fix it.

xlivewire7x

Reaction score
Why would you use root explorer after i posted my results =\

I tried it before you posted your results, been trying to fix my phone for hours.
The problem is that RSD doesn't see my phone, even after updating drivers etc. I even tried the linux method and that didn't work. However, when in recovery mode there is an error at the bottom that reads:
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
Could this be making my phone inaccessible to the computer for some reason? Or am I supposed to do something in recovery mode before the computer recognizes it?