The VZW challenge

bpl0477

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am pretty new to usuing this site and the whole accessing the full potential of Android phones. So, I am thinking of upgrading, I have a d2g presently and thing of razr maxx or droid4. My concerns are rootablitiy of either one and wifi-tether. As I can see from this forum so far is that vzw blocked this on the razor, my d2g sill has the wi-fi working. Other questions would be , is there sbf's avail for either of the new phones, and other software to help undo a brick. Only asking because I soft brick my d2g many times but was able to recover.

Thankyou for your input

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome!

Both the Razr / Maxx & D4 are rootable and I know the Razr / Maxx has fastboot files available for restore. Once either device is rooted, you would be able to access the app wifi tether or similar app for use.

Good luck!

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Yep both are rootable and they both have stock files out.

OP
B

bpl0477

Reaction score
Thankyou, both of you. Concerning the wi-fi, I had the opportunity to update my d2g which, lets say, blocked the wi-fi tether, meaning vzw wanted me to pay an extra charge to use my phone as a hot-spot. Luckily i flashed back to an older sbf and the problem was fixed. I see you both agree the phones can be rooted, restored, and have use of wi-fi. Does the wi-fi get blocked in the same manner with vzw trying to charge for the hot-spot, or will the app "open gsrden" work as it does on my d2g?

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use WiFi tether on a few devices. Open Garden is similar and should work as well. Or foxfi for stock phones might also work.

OP
B

bpl0477

Reaction score
thankyou, but does vzw try and block ur phone as a hot-spot? i use my phone alot for this when i am on my lap-top

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're using it to tether a laptop, I recommend EasyTether. Its like $10 but you don't need root and it works well. Have it on my wife's thunderbolt and she's never had an issue. She uses about 30gb a month.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
DXer won't FoxFi work as a wireless hotspot without root?

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes ma'am. I've never used foxfi though. Either way root is no longer a necessity.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Welcome to the forum.

Hot spot & tether are different. I dont have any problems with vzw blocking me from tethering. But I dont use the hot spot feature

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums!! Looks like these guys got you pretty well covered so just popping in to say hi :biggrin:

OP
B

bpl0477

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for stopping bye. So which is the best driod phone on vzw I am going between razzr maxx, d4, or bionic. I feel that between the sizw of screens and type of diaplay there all pretty much the same except slider key board. Any sugesstions would be great.

S

SFGate

Welcome. I'm kind of partial to slider keyboards myself. DancingNexus

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome to the forum!!

I haven't rooted either of my maxx's, and my wife won't let me root hers :( lol. So i use foxfi ALOT!! Awesome app.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!