The tale of trying to save my droidx

FreyGrimrod

Reaction score
Droid X Spilled glass of water... dry it out... works flawlessly until battery dies.... bricked... my verizon guy tosses a new battery in it and it boots rightup but kicked itself into safemode? I noticed so I try to reboot and get stuck bootlooping on the red M now and having to battery pull any suggestions? can get back to the bootloader should I flash it? Thank you for your time.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can try to sbf, but an sbf fixes software issues, not hardware issues. And the X doesn't have safe mode, so I'm not sure what it was doing on that one

OP
F

FreyGrimrod

Reaction score
It didn't seem to effect functioning but said safemode in a little grey box in the bottom left corner had never seen or heard of it before myself You know Murphy's Law always works for the repairman

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
brad92 said:
You can try to sbf, but an sbf fixes software issues, not hardware issues. And the X doesn't have safe mode, so I'm not sure what it was doing on that one

The x actually does have a safe mode... I just forget how to boot up into it on purpose

"I'll get you my little pretty and your little dog todo too"
"I don't even have a little dog todo"

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Weird. In the year and a half I had my X, I never heard of safe mode

OP
F

FreyGrimrod

Reaction score
repeatedly swapping between wall power and power off a usb lapop and booted and out of safe mode who knows why.... going to try to never shut it off again

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it was you that told me to try booting safe mode the very first time I posted on this forum with a problem, haha

Haha not me, I didn't even know about safe mode for phones until I got this new one

OP
F

FreyGrimrod

Reaction score
Almost stranded myself today was taking the motorcycle out for its first ride and I lost the bolt out of the negative battery terminal stopped dead. Had an extra put it back in battery still isn't charged up enough to start the bike on the mix of stale fuel without a jump. Get in one call before the droidx reboots itself and is back to boot looping. I'm putting in a pre order for a 32gig pebble blue galaxy s3 I believe droidx you will be missed.

chillin21

Reaction score
I got some water damage on my DroidX as well. I was stuck in a bootloop on a Liberty ROM. I SBF back to Motorola software with no luck. The phone would only boot in a safe mode configuration (booting with Menu button + power button).

I figured out that if you hold the volume Down rocker and power button when booting up, it will boot up succesfully.

When the phone boots up, the menu button always brings up the voice search option. Weird.

So... to access in app menus hold the volume down rocker and press the menu button. Seems to be a good work around to having no menus brought up when pressing the menu button!

leftspin

Reaction score
I got some water damage on my DroidX as well. I was stuck in a bootloop on a Liberty ROM. I SBF back to Motorola software with no luck. The phone would only boot in a safe mode configuration (booting with Menu button + power button).

I figured out that if you hold the volume Down rocker and power button when booting up, it will boot up succesfully.

When the phone boots up, the menu button always brings up the voice search option. Weird.

So... to access in app menus hold the volume down rocker and press the menu button. Seems to be a good work around to having no menus brought up when pressing the menu button!

That probably isn't a universal thing. Electronics/computers do weird stuff and when they get water damaged but I think that's most likely a trick that's unique to your phone.